Author Topic: Accidents and mishaps at sea  (Read 126210 times)

Alex Tarry and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Eastern Star capsized in the River Yangste, China
« Reply #120 on: Jun 02, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Hi Rosie - Thank you for providing the links to the news articles about this terrible tragedy.  Have you been on the Yangste near the point the ship capsized ?  You mention heavy traffic and debris on the river ?  Are there any sort of maritime regulations there or any sort of "policing" of the waters ?
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Re: Accidents and mishaps at sea
« Reply #121 on: Aug 24, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Photos of Costa Mediterranea having problems today in Kotor.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #122 on: Aug 24, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Oh Dear.
She's managed to really nearly let it go...Hmm!
Good Watching, Bruce!

Not completely unlike a mini version occurred during a call at St Petersburg that QV made approx 4-5 yrs ago!
Tender #1 (i think it was) was in the middle of being swung down to be launched, when the little vessel got stuck, wedged - at approx. 45 degrees! (Although still in parallel with the ship - no sticking-out-bits, you understand!)
The locals weren't forthcoming in agreeing to lend us a crane, so we sailed as far as Tallin where the tender was hoisted easily back into place.
As you can imagine, a few of the pax were concerned - 'Not enough 'life-boats' was heard around the public areas of QV - and I guess there may have been a couple of cabins with enforced 'obstructed views...

Offline Rod

« Reply #123 on: Aug 28, 2015, 10:26 PM »
I think the rule is that life boat capacity has to be 70% of PASSENGERS down one side.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #124 on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:35 PM »
There is another auto liner in trouble in the English Channel today 31st January:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35456682

"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #125 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:46 PM »
There is another auto liner in trouble in the English Channel today 31st January:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35456682

To my eyes, it appears to be exactly the same design as the Hoegh Osaka that was in trouble this time last year.  A similar fault surely?  The MAIB haven't reported yet on last year's incident...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #126 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:34 PM »
To my eyes, it appears to be exactly the same design as the Hoegh Osaka that was in trouble this time last year.  A similar fault surely?  The MAIB haven't reported yet on last year's incident...

I couldn't say I'm afraid - all the auto liners look pretty similar to me as I have never paid them much attention.  I'll have to look up the history of both ships.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #127 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:55 PM »
Hi Peter - and All
In a bit of haste - just checking that you are aware of moves to save the last remaining SRN4 -  'The Princess Anne' Hovercraft??
There's a petition to save her on change.org

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #128 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:56 PM »
Hi Peter - and All
In a bit of haste - just checking that you are aware of moves to save the last remaining SRN4 -  'The Princess Anne' Hovercraft??
There's a petition to save her on change.org

Yes - I signed it when it was at only around 4000 signature.  It's about double that now.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #129 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:13 PM »
Have you read about anthem of the seas today?

30 foot waves!!  Just imagine.

Passengers tell of terror as cruise ship battered by nine-metre waves

http://gu.com/p/4ggjz?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #130 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Have you read about anthem of the seas today?

30 foot waves!!  Just imagine.

Passengers tell of terror as cruise ship battered by nine-metre waves

http://gu.com/p/4ggjz?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

The weather must have caught them out - cruise ships normally run and hide from weather like this. Feel sorry for the passengers on this one. I like rough sailing but to most its a nightmare. Damage to the fixtures and fittings on board looks to be fairly substantial too.

I recently saw some footage of QE in the midst of a Force 10 / 11 mid Atlantic (taken from the Commodore Club assuming hers is in the same place as QV). It all looked spectacular as the waves looked similar in size to those the RCCL ship encountered, but as an engineer I couldn't help wondering / worrying what it was doing to the ship's structure as although strengthened over the standard Vista design I wouldn't imagine she was designed to sail around it that kind of weather too often!!

QM2? Different matter entirely - I've been on her in a Force 10 - bring it on!! :)

Anyway - back on topic - not a nice experience and could quite easily put people off cruising for life.

Gav
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016, 08:23 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Rod

« Reply #131 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:17 PM »
In many papers in the US the Captain, cruise line etc, whomever made the decision to sail, are being heavily panned by all the professional weather services. The storm was known for several days if not weeks.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #132 on: Feb 12, 2016, 10:05 AM »

Offline skilly56

« Reply #133 on: Feb 12, 2016, 11:23 AM »
2 Days ago - departed the wharf - Stbd main engine S.W. St/By pump automatically cut in - stopped it - it cut in again!
Went for a walk around - found tonnes of water spraying everywhere around the front of the main engine, where the engine S.W. pump isolating valve was. Quickly stopped that engine & closed down the stbd S.W. system.
The cause of the problem was the bottom blown out of the 5 inch isolating valve - resulting in around 15 tonnes of sea water now sloshing around in the engine room & bilges. I'm very disappointed in the quality of this valve ;) - it's only about 39-40 years old, made in Scotland, and has flowed millions of gallons of seawater over the 37 years it has been in use. A combination of erosion from water flow, and corrosion from electrolysis.

Gotta say though, I have pulled valves in S.W. systems on Chinese-built ships that are only 5-7 years old, and they were in worse condition!!!

I attach a couple of photos here, and would point out that many of the seawater system valves in both the QE2 & SSUS are probably in worse condition as they have been just sitting with stagnating water in them for years.
Skilly
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2016, 11:25 AM by skilly56 »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #134 on: Feb 12, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Fascinating!! What would you say was the intended life expectancy of this part?
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2016, 01:13 PM by Rob Lightbody »