Author Topic: Accidents and mishaps at sea  (Read 126225 times)

Alex Tarry and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Accidents and mishaps at sea
« Reply #270 on: Mar 24, 2021, 12:28 AM »
Does anyone think it is not an accident but a grounding on purpose to block the Canal ?
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #271 on: Mar 24, 2021, 08:03 AM »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #272 on: Mar 24, 2021, 10:26 AM »
Does anyone think it is not an accident but a grounding on purpose to block the Canal ?

Given the huge global significance of the canal, you have to wonder ...

I did see a droll comment last night saying they'd seen a headline about Suez and asking what the Brits had been up to now .. if you're too young you'll need to look that one up (or maybe you saw it in the first series of the crown!)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #273 on: Mar 24, 2021, 12:02 PM »

I don't think so in this case. Also, too many different groups (with different agendas and ideologies) would lose out in today's globalised economy so I don't think it would be in their interest. Having said that, of course non-state actors could always want to throw a spanner in the works via such an incident as this.

I did see a droll comment last night saying they'd seen a headline about Suez and asking what the Brits had been up to now .. if you're too young you'll need to look that one up (or maybe you saw it in the first series of the crown!)

Ah, the Suez Crisis of 1957 - anyone with an interest in history should know this regardless of age!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Rod

« Reply #274 on: Mar 24, 2021, 12:18 PM »

Ah, the Suez Crisis of 1957 - anyone with an interest in history should know this regardless of age!

Not in this country Thomas! I doubt many teens/twenties would even know where Suez is!
Sorry to be nasty to my adopted country, but it is a fact.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #275 on: Mar 24, 2021, 12:51 PM »
Not in this country Thomas! I doubt many teens/twenties would even know where Suez is!
Sorry to be nasty to my adopted country, but it is a fact.

Sadly I agree :( - Along with the widespread "sea blindness".
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #276 on: Mar 24, 2021, 03:43 PM »
I've seen they're saying they've opened an older channel in order to ease congestion?  I've looked at the satellite image and have no idea where it might be, any ideas?

They're saying they'll have dredgers on the scene later. The bulbous bow is shoved deep into the sand at the side.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #277 on: Mar 24, 2021, 03:49 PM »
I've seen they're saying they've opened an older channel in order to ease congestion?  I've looked at the satellite image and have no idea where it might be, any ideas?

The only other channels I can see are those to the north of the Great Bitter Lake - maybe's it's to reduce the congestion caused by ships piling up on the southbound route?

What struck me as strange from the satellite imagery, given the heavy shipping traffic through the canal, is the use of temporary floating bridges alongside the usual ferry crossings. I presume they can be deconstructed or moved very quickly?
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2021, 03:52 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #278 on: Mar 24, 2021, 05:50 PM »
Thought I'd add a relevant photo from our wondeful gallery, from Andreas.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=5353#top_display_media

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #280 on: Mar 24, 2021, 09:51 PM »

The thought had occurred to me, but as others have said I feel it's unlikely because of the lack of any claim of responsibility and, as has been pointed out, too many widely differing interests would be affected.  There's also been relatively lower than normal tensions in the region recently, so there isn't that much of a m,otive for anyone either at present.

I don't believe the "gust of wind" excuse either as no other vessel was affected.

Yesterday they were blaming a steering gear failure, but two things count against that:

1) Nobody in their right mind would attempt to enter the canal unassisted if they had any dounts about the ability of their vessel to hold a course.

2) The vessel had enough control prior to entering the canal to be able to quite neatly draw rather rude images on the tracking traces.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #282 on: Mar 26, 2021, 09:00 PM »
Just looking at a 1956 Giles annual and found a very appropriate cartoon :D :D

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #283 on: Mar 27, 2021, 12:49 PM »
Another theory!
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2021, 02:36 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #284 on: Mar 27, 2021, 09:45 PM »