Author Topic: Accidents and mishaps at sea  (Read 126255 times)

Alex Tarry and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Accidents and mishaps at sea
« Reply #135 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Interesting piece on storm damage to Irish Ferries Epsilon at the weekend. Glad we were safely in port!

http://afloat.ie/port-news/port-and-shipping-news/item/31326-storm-damage-revealed-as-irish-ferries-ship-epsilon-docks-in-dublin-port?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

One has to ask again - why did it sail?  The cargo (cars, vans and lorries) appear to have been thrown around.  That can't have been safe to the ship - surely such an object could seriously damage the ship??

It does remind you why "you may not return to car deck until we dock" !!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline skilly56

« Reply #136 on: Feb 13, 2016, 12:12 PM »
Hi Rob,

I believe about 30 years should have been a reasonable life expectancy.
The engines have now been running for 140,000 hours and all the components & attached auxiliary equipment should normally be inspected every five years. Back in the old days (last century!!!), if I had been on here during a survey, I would have hit these castings with a hammer when they were stripped down. If they don't 'ring' right, you find out why. Maybe people are just to tired these days to 'hit & listen' to what the component is trying to tell you. Or, hitting it might break it, which then causes expenditure to replace the broken part.

Cheers

Skilly

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #137 on: Feb 13, 2016, 07:27 PM »
If it's going to break when ring-tested like that it would have needed replacing anyway, surely?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline skilly56

« Reply #138 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:39 PM »
You've got to know how to 'ring it' without causing any grief. Doesn't have to be a hard hit - just a sharp rap.

Skilly

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #139 on: Feb 14, 2016, 12:05 AM »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #140 on: Feb 27, 2016, 02:00 PM »
There's a surprising and happy-ish ending for this ship, swept far away by the tsunami of 11 March 2011 :

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/02/26/national/boat-drifted-hawaii-2011-tsunami-heading-back-japan/#.VtF6PSlN1bm

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #141 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Chinese cruise ship sinks off Laem Chabang port

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/152733

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #142 on: Feb 28, 2016, 01:37 PM »

Sad.

She's the former Spirit of London built in 1972 for P&O.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #143 on: Feb 28, 2016, 01:54 PM »
Sad.

She's the former Spirit of London built in 1972 for P&O.

Yes, the image of her looks very sad - she's obviously worked hard for very many years
There may be quite an urgent need to move her,
she cmay be in channel(s) used by ships on their world voyages

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #144 on: Feb 29, 2016, 11:18 PM »

I have had a report from a member that this link has caused major problems with his PC and they suspect it of having a "ransomware" virus.

However, I have checked it myself, and can see no problem at all, and my own security scans say its OK.  The link appears to be to the Thai equivalent of the BBC as far as I can see.

However, we cannot vouch for every link that anyone posts on the forum, and any link you click is done so at your own risk (as with any website).

My recommendation is to ensure you're using an up to date operating system and web browser, which combined should protect you from most things.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #146 on: Mar 07, 2016, 10:50 PM »
  Some of you may know this ship!

We do ! some of us sat glued to the TV in the 80s and enjoyed each and every minute of the programme.

Ironic that a ship that gave so much pleasure to so many and must have been a dream of Advertising to not only Princess but the cruising world has ended up like this.... ???
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #147 on: Mar 08, 2016, 10:37 PM »
There seems to be some doubt as to whether the capsized ship is the Pacific Princess ("Love Boat") or the Sun Princess. I wonder which it is?

Offline skilly56

« Reply #148 on: Mar 25, 2016, 01:32 AM »
More stories from my old magazines - some of these events are laughable - some have a more serious side!

How the hell can engineers run an engine for a month, from Italy to Lebanon, and not realise the huge difference in loads between the engine doing the work and the engine with no propeller connected???  Darwin awards should be presented, but no lives were at risk.

Skilly

Offline skilly56

« Reply #149 on: Mar 28, 2016, 02:15 AM »
"When I asked for a gap between the stacks, this is NOT what I meant!!!"

Skilly