Author Topic: Accidents and mishaps at sea  (Read 126198 times)

Alex Tarry and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline andyh

Accidents and mishaps at sea
« on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:33 PM »
Is this the future with today's design of flat bottom ships  :) :) :)

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2020, 05:48 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online cunardqueen

Re: Cruising in Calm Waters
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Lets confirm this is not the Queen Elizabeth on sea sea trials testing out the new anti slip decks.... ???
Perhaps we should ask ourselves, IF its so rough why  are passengers milling about the place, shouldnt the Captain have advised people to stay in the cabins?. Its the crew member l fell sorry for, Thats a pretty close escape...
 I always felt safe on QE2 no matter what the weather.
To quote Samual Cunard   
Your ship is loaded, take her; speed is nothing, follow your own road, deliver her safe, bring her back safe - safety is all that is required. 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Waverley

Accidents and misfortunes at sea
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Whoops, ship hits bridge...

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2020, 05:49 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Robert

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2010, 10:23 PM »
And everyone laughs at us when we say we only want to sail in a true liner....

i feel this is only the tip of the iceberg....those leviathans are just accidents waiting to happen...they are fine for bobbing in calm seas though there is no guarantee of that even in the caribbean or the med,...they are def not built for ocean cruising....boy was
I  glad i was not a passenger on there..i wouldnt set foot on a ship ever again...it must have been a total nightmare.

I just wish Cunard had made the 2 sisters liners or just gone for one as obviously it costs a lot more money to build a liner than a cruise ship.  The Cunard name is much more worthy of a true liner than a vista class cruise ship.....

Cruise_Princess

Re: Whoops, ship hits bridge
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Oops indeed...where was this?  We always used to think this would happen when we went under the Verezanno. ( not seriously!!)it was always a great moment...but QE2 always cleared it beautifully,.....

I wonder if the Captain of this vessel got his knuckles wrapped...I bet they got a big fright when this happened,

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2010, 11:43 PM »
No, it's not QE, but it is a Carnival ship - one of the new sites said it was Pacific something or the other and it was a few months ago.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Captain Greybeard says its P&O's Pacific Sun, and indeed P&O have made a statement about it

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2010, 02:41 AM »
Weren't QE2's tables, such as the Blue Pearl granite topped ones along the windows around the Golden Lion and elsewhere bolted down to prevent such destruction in heavy seas?  I imagine that a loose forklift or other significant equipment, if not properly stowed and secured, could do serious damage on say a very rough crossing.  Since QE2 was built for this to occur regularily, there must have been extensive provisions made and procedures in place for rough weather.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2010, 03:26 AM »
Strange what the media does, that this two year old story has suddenly gone "viral" with old video.  

The Marine Accident Investigative Report is on line with some interesting information and photos.

Pacific Sun is small by present day standards, only 47,000 tons, and quite attractive compared to the new stuff that's out there clogging up the seas.

Hey, there's a name for RCI's new ship... "Clogging of the Seas".
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2010, 03:35 AM by Stowaway2k »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2010, 09:40 AM »
They were very lucky that no one was seriously injured , particularly the captain who hit the deck when he realised what was happening. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Seems really odd that the forklift alone wasnt bolted down...here  even on our wee ferry  ..the lorries and cars are bolted and chained to the deck if weather is bad,,,,,years ago there was a terrible accident with a cattle float on the car deck full of sheep...it overturned and the farmer lost all of his sheep and many cars were very badly damaged.,    Then after the Zeebrugge disaster there were double watertight doors added to all car ferries.

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2010, 10:57 AM »
thought this was recent .......it was 2001 In Ontario Canada

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Yes, I remember that one..... it was one of the freighters of the Paterson Line, traversing the Welland Canal from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario, near Niagara Falls...It was one of the bridges along the canal.....This is about 2 hours away from where I live.

Linda C

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Accidents and misfortunes at sea
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:25 PM »
If it's not bridges and giant waves... here is the story of a 3-metre-wide chandelier crashing down...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10703534

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Accidents and misfortunes at sea
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2011, 02:26 PM »
That was a lucky escape that it happened at that time of day and not in the middle of an event.

( Can't help wondering if The Phantom of the Opera was on board, though... )
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"