Author Topic: Accidents and mishaps at sea  (Read 126216 times)

Alex Tarry and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Andy Holloway

Re: Accidents and mishaps at sea
« Reply #360 on: Aug 07, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Well good old Carnival are in the news again! This time for a huge punch up in the Disco!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cruise-ship-brawl-nyc-carnival-coast-guard

When I cruised on Carnival a few years ago (Never Again) I was surprised by the number of security personnel onboard....
now I know why!

You've obviously never 'cruised' in Australia then, on a ship with 1300 passengers we had 27 Security Personnel and there were 2 x Security Officers, one on days [0700-1900] the other on nights [1900-0700]. Then, on the two sea days between Vanuatu and Sydney, it was drink as much as 'you' can with nowhere to 'off load' the unruly..   

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #361 on: Aug 07, 2022, 08:57 PM »
Just goes to show how much cruising has 'Gone to the dogs!', great shame, used to be a very classy form of travel.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #362 on: Aug 07, 2022, 11:05 PM »
P&O have had an accident at Calais this weekend involving a loaded coach nearly getting crushed between a linkspan and the top of the bow apperture on the Pride of Kent.

This could very easily have been a lot worse.

https://twitter.com/SimonJonesNews/status/1556193189622603776?s=20&t=LKm-OPEsyHtH3_Q3YqmFYw

This is what happened to a coach on a P&O ferry yesterday. The company describes it as a ‘minor incident’, saying one passenger grazed their leg.

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2022, 11:06 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #363 on: Aug 08, 2022, 08:58 AM »
Peter that looks like it could have been a very nasty accident.  Glad to hear there were not more injuries.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #364 on: Aug 08, 2022, 06:51 PM »
P&O have had an accident at Calais this weekend involving a loaded coach nearly getting crushed between a linkspan and the top of the bow apperture on the Pride of Kent.

Every now and then a Ferry gets hungry and needs a snack ;D

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #365 on: Aug 08, 2022, 10:49 PM »
Peter that looks like it could have been a very nasty accident.  Glad to hear there were not more injuries.

Very true.

I've never heard of anything like that happening before anywhere.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #366 on: Mar 22, 2023, 10:59 AM »
Major rescue operation at Leith, Edinburgh after ship dislodged from dry dock. 

STV News:
https://news.stv.tv/east-central/major-rescue-operation-as-ship-tips-after-dislodging-from-dry-dock-in-leith-edinburgh

The ship, RV Petrel, is a research vessel owned by the estate of Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.

Emergency crews were called to the scene at Imperial Dock in Leith at around 8.29am on Wednesday, March 22.

The massive ship on a dry dock became dislodged from its holding, and images show it lurched towards its righthand side.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #367 on: Mar 22, 2023, 04:08 PM »
The BBC reports multiple injuries as a result of the Research ship Petrel tipping over at the Leith Dock. At least 21 people taken to hospital. Local people had been asked not to attend the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary as staff were dealing with the injured.

You can read more details on on BBC article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038617
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #368 on: Mar 23, 2023, 10:41 PM »
An interesting video with more information on the RV Petrel accident. Fortunately many of the injured have now left hospital and luckily there have been no deaths.

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #369 on: Mar 24, 2023, 10:33 AM »
Thanks Thomas

it was interesting to hear thoughts on what could have caused the incident and possible way to get the ship upright again. 

This must have been a terrifying experience for those on board.  Good to hear that many of the injured have been discharged from hospital and thoughts are with those who are still receiving care. 

BBC update may be of interest:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-65050308

www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #370 on: Mar 25, 2023, 03:04 PM »
Thanks Thomas for posting that superb video, that gave far more insight and explanation than I'd seen anywhere else.

Such a horrible incident, it must have been terrifying, when you're not expecting the ship to move at all.  Its very lucky indeed that nobody was killed.

She seems like a fascinating ship, I hope her and her crew can continue to do interesting work in future, once this is sorted out.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2023, 01:01 PM »
Apparently....CARNIVAL AGAIN! The recent swirling storm that was not strong enough to deserve a name off of the Eastern US made it a bumpy ride for the Carnival Sunshine.

See the Article - https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/carnival-sunshine-passenger-documents-storm-damage

Modern cruise passengers are a bunch of Dramatics, Oooooh 20 ft waves...scary!
They would have been huddling in fear on some of the QE2 transatlantics I remember ;D

Offline skilly56

« Reply #372 on: May 31, 2023, 03:11 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I hope the seatime is mounting up and all is going well!

Thanks for posting the 'Petrel' video.
All very interesting, and still no true explanation of what occurred.

The commentator kept referring to the 'braces', but to pass your Naval Arch exams, I would suggest the correct terminology is used.

They are called 'Breast Shores', and even when I used to dock on flat-bottomed bulk ships we still had plenty of them in place, mainly due to the sudden high winds we get around NZ, and the velocities experienced when the wind passed down the ship's sides when in a floating dry dock.

Cheers,

TonyS.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #373 on: May 31, 2023, 08:55 PM »
Apparently....CARNIVAL AGAIN! The recent swirling storm that was not strong enough to deserve a name off of the Eastern US made it a bumpy ride for the Carnival Sunshine.

See the Article - https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/carnival-sunshine-passenger-documents-storm-damage

Modern cruise passengers are a bunch of Dramatics, Oooooh 20 ft waves...scary!
They would have been huddling in fear on some of the QE2 transatlantics I remember ;D

How would the ship have coped with the 90 foot wave that QE2 encountered during Hurricane Luis

Reading the article part of the problem for the passengers was the lack of communication from the Bridge. 

www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #374 on: May 31, 2023, 09:11 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I hope the seatime is mounting up and all is going well!

Thanks for posting the 'Petrel' video.
All very interesting, and still no true explanation of what occurred.

The commentator kept referring to the 'braces', but to pass your Naval Arch exams, I would suggest the correct terminology is used.

They are called 'Breast Shores', and even when I used to dock on flat-bottomed bulk ships we still had plenty of them in place, mainly due to the sudden high winds we get around NZ, and the velocities experienced when the wind passed down the ship's sides when in a floating dry dock.

Cheers,

TonyS.

Hello Tony,

I saw an article recently with photos of her bridge windows all boarded up and such, and the news that she's going to be towed to the US but has an uncertain future with even scrapping suggested given apparently she was severely damaged. I'm presuming the severe damage is internal given she looks okay externally, and also given she would've been all over the place inside in refit anyway so a lot of stuff might've been thrown about.

Thank you for the information on the Breast Shores and the correct terminology!

Still no sea time this year so far in phase 4 (the 2nd sea phase of the 5 phase cadetship) although I have very tentative news for joining a handysize bulk carrier in Veracruz, Mexico on June 5th. Nothing more confirmed yet, but hoping to hear during the course of this week as also need my Liberian registry documents and medical (last ship was Marshall Islands).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.