Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 60930 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

If you tune into NHK Japan World right now (in about 2 minutes) :

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

You can see an hour-long documentary about the Diamond Princess. I am watching!

It was an excellent documentary, well worth watching. Lots of interesting conclusions that will apply elsewhere too.

It will be repeated tomorrow (Monday) at 19.50 GMT (i.e. 20.50 British Summertime) at the same link.

After that, it might stay available as a video on demand for a very short time (a week or so), and I shall post a link if this happens.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

There is a plan afoot by the owner of Greenock Ocean Terminal to layup up to 12 cruise ships on the Clyde.

This has met with opposition from the local government as per the article below.

The main issue is the landing of their crew at Greenock to be repatriated but I would have thought that they would be bussed to the nearest mainline rail station or to the airport etc?

All four of Fred Olsen's vessels are currently at anchor in the Forth and have visited port at least once during this period with no issues that I am aware of.
Surely this should be about getting the crew off the ships and home?

Cruise Ship Layups - River Clyde

Gav

Online cunardqueen

Given some of the media reports, the crew might be safer staying on board, rather than setting any feet ashore right now in that area.

God forbid we ever be in that position, but with the option stay onboard and be safe, or set foot ashore with the risks in the area...   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Given some of the media reports, the crew might be safer staying on board, rather than setting any feet ashore right now in that area.

God forbid we ever be in that position, but with the option stay onboard and be safe, or set foot ashore with the risks in the area...

Given I live in this area it is probably prudent for me to point out that sadly most of the deaths in Inverclyde can be attributed to Care Homes which is actually in line with the rest of the country in that respect.
I would suggest that otherwise Greenock/ Gourock / Port Glasgow are faring no worse or better than other towns in Scotland with respect to COVID 19.

Gav
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:39 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Thanks, will try to catch it!  Enjoy watching NHK fairly regularly, once I discovered we have it!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
There is a plan afoot by the owner of Greenock Ocean Terminal to layup up to 12 cruise ships on the Clyde.

This has met with opposition from the local government as per the article below.

The main issue is the landing of their crew at Greenock to be repatriated but I would have thought that they would be bussed to the nearest mainline rail station or to the airport etc?

All four of Fred Olsen's vessels are currently at anchor in the Forth and have visited port at least once during this period with no issues that I am aware of.
Surely this should be about getting the crew off the ships and home?

Cruise Ship Layups - River Clyde

Gav

I would have thought, that allowing this would be beneficial for the good times, cruise lines would appreciate the help. 

I don't know how much benefit cruise ships are to the area normally, but they're certainly beneficial to the port, which presumably is a fairly big employer?

Also, after all this, cruising closer to home might be more popular than it was previously.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Hi Rob,

Peel Ports are currently in the middle of a £15m upgrade to Greenock Ocean Terminal which includes a purpose built terminal building and an extension of the quayside to accommodate two large cruise vessels or two large container vessels or a mix of the two.

Work has been stopped for obvious reasons just now.

It is questionable how much Inverclyde itself gains from the cruise industry as a lot of pax are bussed off on excursions but we do see a lot of pax walking up our street (GOT is at the bottom of our street) and in our local bar.

What the effects of COVID19 mean for Greenock and also for the cruise industries as a whole remains to be seen I guess.

Gav

Thanks, will try to catch it!  Enjoy watching NHK fairly regularly, once I discovered we have it!

It has just appeared as a Documentary on Demand, here :

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/documentary/20200509/4001358/

and should be available to watch until 9 August, so just choose the time that suits you best!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
It has just appeared as a Documentary on Demand, here :

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/documentary/20200509/4001358/

and should be available to watch until 9 August, so just choose the time that suits you best!

Awesome, thank you.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I've watched the first half, but am falling asleep so will continue tomorrow!  It's really superb, I'm learning lots, and there's lots to think about there.  The experiment with the people in the pretend buffet is fascinating

Offline Olivia

P&O Ferries are making 1,100 people redundant...  :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-52625025

Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 64
Views: 10152
Last post Sep 23, 2021, 04:05 AM
by Trevor Harris