Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 60935 times)

Online Chris Thompson

Quick update, just saw on the news a skype interview with 2 American passengers on the Princess ship.
Apparently they are confined to cabins. One concern expressed was that when the Japanese medical team tested their temperatures they were not using a fresh sterile tip for the thermometer, just wiping it with a cloth. Also said that the food and water situation was a little short....although plenty of alchohol is available...

Online Chris Thompson

Here is some more info from a passenger onboard the Diamond Princess via the BBC....

We are to monitor our temperatures on a regular basis, and if it's increased above normal we are to contact the medical services onboard of the ship."
■   "Passengers in the small inside cabins have no window, there is no daylight, and no fresh air... but the captain has announced those passengers will be allowed access to open deck for exercise and fresh air."
■   "If we are permitted out on open deck, we have to wear a mask when we're outside. We have to keep one metre apart from everyone else and are not allowed to congregate in groups."
■   "All of the luxury of having a steward come to make the bed and put a chocolate on the pillow - those days are gone. We have to take care of the cleanliness and hygiene of our own room."
■   "We're going through all the clothes we put into our dirty wash bag and we're just re-wearing them now. Our underwear we're washing by hand - we don't have anything other than hand soap."
■   "The first day in isolation, the supply of food wasn't good. Now it's superb.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

Every time they get a new case the 14 day quarantine starts again. They could be there fore quite some time on this basis.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
According to my sources on board, QM2 will now bypass Singapore, Vietnam, and Bali, and proceed directly on to Fremantle/Perth, Australia. The ship will anchor at Port Kelang/Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to refuel and take on supplies, but no passengers or crew may go ashore and re-board.

Online Lynda Bradford

According to my sources on board, QM2 will now bypass Singapore, Vietnam, and Bali, and proceed directly on to Fremantle/Perth, Australia. The ship will anchor at Port Kelang/Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to refuel and take on supplies, but no passengers or crew may go ashore and re-board.

Cunard has posted an advisory note stating that passengers due to board the QM2 in Singapore on 12/13 February 18/19 February will now have the option to board at Fremantle. What a nightmare for cruise companies and a lot of uncertainty for passengers.  The flight teams have had a difficult couple of weeks, having made changes to people's flight arrangements they are having to make further changes.  Awaiting details of itinerary changes.

Cunard Travel Health Advisories - 9 February 2020

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2020, 03:11 PM by Rob Lightbody »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
It's not great news on the diamond Princess.... Surely it must still be spreading on board?

https://twitter.com/japantimes/status/1226738956718542848
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Chris Thompson

It's not great news on the diamond Princess.... Surely it must still be spreading on board

Personally think it may be spreading via the AC as reports have said that the virus can be transmitted via the air.
Calling out to former ships engineers here for some more info on how the AC system functions onboard, specifically how the return air is dealt with, from ships I worked on the AC return went through a vent in the cabin door to the alleyway.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Boredom and isolation, but no great suffering for those on board :

https://japantoday.com/category/national/Oscars-movies-help-pass-the-time-on-cruise-ship-quarantined-in-Yokohama?

This could have happened in a far worse place. The passengers are getting good care and good food, and those who are found to be infected, are getting excellent hospital treatment.

Today, all the systems and structures inside the ship are being inspected by external experts, presumably with a view to checking inter alia whether the air-conditioning could be spreading the virus within the ship.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Fortunately, Oasis of the Seas, which docked in Bayonne NJ on Saturday was scheduled to sail yesterday, as the four possible coronavirus sufferers' tests came back as regular flu. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Westerdam has still not found a place to land... although Thailand is willing to supply it with food and other stocks...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Fairly hysterical report here from the tabloid Sun about Queen Mary 2...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10942907/crissy-rock-stuck-ship-coronavirus/

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Fairly hysterical report here from the tabloid Sun...

It's The Sun... do we really expect anything different?

On a more serious note, the latest details given on the BBC News tonight suggest the new virus may not be anywhere near as bad as the media have been making out; the mortality rate is being quoted as 1% and most people who have recovered from it are placing it between ordinary flu and a strong cold in terms of what it feels like.

To put that into context, the 1918 flu pandemic had a mortality rate of around 5%.

That doesn't mean it's not important to try to contain it; of course it is important.  What it does mean is that  we should be careful of the doom-mongers.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

Fairly hysterical report here from the tabloid Sun about Queen Mary 2...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10942907/crissy-rock-stuck-ship-coronavirus/

Hysterical is the key word!  This looks like someone who wants to be in the news!

I am booked on QM2 around Australia and Cunard has given excellent advice in relation to passenger health.  The changes to the itinerary are so that the ship is not calling at Asian Ports, which would have implications for the ship and the passengers

The Coronavirus situation has impacted on cruises, in the area, no doubt about that. but I have been impressed on  Cunard 's response to protect their passengers. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
God knows how they'll do it, but I think they need to shutdown the cruising industry until this thing is definitely under control.  I actually thought that when I started this topic.

Many Events are and will be cancelled due to their nature (large numbers of people traveling, then in close contact with each other).  The incubation period for this is so long it poses a terrible problem.

There's never been an incident like this, certainly not in the era of millions of people traveling on giant cruise ships together every day.

Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 64
Views: 10152
Last post Sep 23, 2021, 04:05 AM
by Trevor Harris