Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 59722 times)

Offline Andy Holloway

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Wouldn't this be classified as 'insider trading'?

Hmm .. I'd think it's ok because the problems and issues are all public knowledge?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Hmm .. I'd think it's ok because the problems and issues are all public knowledge?

That's correct, Rob.

It's only inside trading if they are acting on the basis of information which only a select few within the business would know.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Andy Holloway

That's correct, Rob.

It's only inside trading if they are acting on the basis of information which only a select few within the business would know.

But only they will know how deep Carnival's pockets are surely?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
But only they will know how deep Carnival's pockets are surely?

Yes - but in this instance, publicly available news of an event which would clearly have an adverse impact on the business would mean they could sell legally.  The most recent annual report prior to the news breaking would show the balance sheet as of the reporting date, along with a lot of other trading details, and it would be reasonable to assume that there would not have been any unreported material change since that date - if there had been, they would have been legally obliged to announce it to the stock exchanges on which their shares are traded.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The three current Cunarders are together just now.

https://twitter.com/DavidBalmer14/status/1363447918577991681
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Apparently this is for crew transfer, so I've read.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online cunardqueen

Any sign of any press release about The Three Queens Meet..again.
An ideal chance to get a group photo updated.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

Cunard are continuing their pause in cruising.

Sailings on Queen Victoria are now cancelled for departures up to and including 27 August 2021.
Queen Elizabeth’s summer Mediterranean fly cruise season and all departures up to and including 11 October 2021 are cancelled.
Queen Mary 2’s current programme of departures up to and including 12 November 2021 are cancelled.
The new UK staycation voyages on board Queen Elizabeth will be on sale later in March.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

Cunard are continuing their pause in cruising. 

The trouble is you cant simply restart right away, it takes time to get everything going again. Its not like switching on a light switch 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Myles is correct, and the longer the pause, the longer and more difficult the restart.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

People are booking ahead and when cruising restarts there could be a demand.  Not sure how difficult the restart will be - just need to wait and see.

No cruising this year - just need to dust off the picnic chairs and go to North Berwick - not a bad option

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Hi all,

Post 1 of this topic was from me getting very alarmed and thinking the cruise industry needed to immediately shut down globally.

Reply #297 is me, 407 days later, just home from getting the first dose of my vaccine.  Feels like the end is in sight now for sure.  :)

Cunard are sensible to offer single-country cruising for residents of that country... it helps that Britain is an island too, with lots of ports around its coast to visit.

However I object to their use of the word Staycation, just like I've objected to the media's use of the word!  In the UK, before the pandemic, a "staycation" was when you resided in your own home,  but did fun things with your days to make it like a vacation, but at home.  Lynda's lovely photos of North Berwick are a good illustration of how to do a staycation!

It has stemmed, I think, from the weird assumption that everyone goes abroad for their holidays normally, and that you need to go abroad to have a "real" holiday.  It really annoys me because I've always loved taking holidays within the UK and certainly don't consider them inferior to going abroad - in fact they usually cost more!  And back to Cunard, I've been told by a number of you who did it, that the Round-UK cruises are some of your favourites, even though many of you have been all over the world with Cunard.

A UK-based holiday is just that, and should be called that.  A Cunard Staycation would be good though - I could nip down to Greenock and spend the day on board!  Oh I forgot, Michael doesn't work for Cunard any more ....  :'(

- Rob

Offline Andy Holloway

However I object to their use of the word Staycation, just like I've objected to the media's use of the word!  In the UK, before the pandemic, a "staycation" was when you resided in your own home,  but did fun things with your days to make it like a vacation, but at home.  Lynda's lovely photos of North Berwick are a good illustration of how to do a staycation!

But surely Cunard market their ships as 'a home away from home' so, by that description they are your interpretation of the term, 'Staycation'!
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2021, 03:07 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Feels like the end is in sight now for sure.  :)

It may feel like that in the UK, where the vaccination rollout is gathering steam, but it does not feel like that in most other parts of the world. You may remember the experts saying that none of us are safe until all of us are safe. It is very much in the interests of everyone to share the vaccines around the world as equitably as possible, so that we may all eventually feel a lot safer. I really doubt that this will be the case until the end of 2024 or thereabouts.

Of course, it may be possible to restart on a limited basis, with strict selection criteria, such as vaccination passes, and Round Britain cruises, provided that crews can be found and ports are willing to welcome passengers from other parts of the country.

Meanwhile, there is no doubt much to explore closer to home  :) .

Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 64
Views: 9836
Last post Sep 23, 2021, 04:05 AM
by Trevor Harris