Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 60927 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2020, 11:09 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Mein Schiff 2 has gone back on a first cruise, three days out of Hamburg with no port calls. This is how life on board looks now. Tempted?

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
Thanks Isabelle for posting.

Tempted? Gosh! No way, ever...

Who would spend (lots of) hard-earned money on something like that?

Sorry, cruise lines. Certainly not me.

Online Chris Thompson

Regarding that video who wants to have to take their phone on a cruise??
My idea of cruising is to get away from everyday life, PHONE NO, I might take an iPad for reading though! ;D ;D

Friends of mine have recently taken a couple of ferries from Italy back to their home in Crete (Greece). They said that, apart from the normal precautions such as masks and sanitisers, these ferries were operating much as usual, and there seemed to be no reduction in their schedule.

They are not ship lovers and use the ferries simply as a mode of transport, but these were their observations when I asked.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Mein Schiff 2 has gone back on a first cruise, three days out of Hamburg with no port calls. This is how life on board looks now. Tempted?

Not at all tempted, but its an excellent and insightful video, lots to think about.  Some of the things they're now doing, they should always have been doing.

Can that ship make a profit at 60% capacity? Or is it just that its losing less money than if it was sitting idle.

I think Hurtigruten's disaster (see above) has set the whole cruise line restart back, however.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
It's now up to 62 on the Roald Amundsen, 41 crew, 21 passengers.

And that's presumably with increased precautions over normal operation...

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
Crew members marooned on cruise ships in US waters has now dropped to 12 084, according  to the US Coastguard. (Was about 80 000 in April).
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/more-than-12000-crew-members-remain-on-cruise-ships-months-after-industry-halted-in-march/ar-BB17LeEV?li=AAgfYrC&ocid=mailsignout

« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2020, 03:30 AM by Boris »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
BBC News - Coronavirus: How ghost cruise ships became a summer tourist attraction

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53720419

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
BBC News - Coronavirus: How ghost cruise ships became a summer tourist attraction

David Trevor-Jones mentioned to my local branch of the WSS (in this month's newsletter) that sightseeing trips are being operated out of Poole too along similar lines. It's a bonanza for some I suppose, but personally I find the current status of the cruise industry deeply concerning and sad to say the least, and wouldn't exactly enjoy this sort of "pleasure cruise" as a result. Seeing the ships falling into (cosmetic at least) disrepair up close and in person would also be depressing.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
I agree with you, Thomas. For a true ship lover, it would be a source of concern and sadness as well as fear for their ultimate fate.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Some photos I took last week of Aurora, Arcadia, and Allure Of The Seas in Bournemouth Bay:
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

It must be great for people who have never had a chance to go on a cruise and may never even have considered one. They can have a look at the ships out at sea, wave to the stranded crew members and take good close-up photographs. As most people are taking their holidays close to home, this is a welcome excursion for them and a good way for some local boat owners to make a bit of an income.

Since the cruise ships are stranded anyway, it is good to see some people making the best of the situation.

Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 64
Views: 10152
Last post Sep 23, 2021, 04:05 AM
by Trevor Harris