Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 60944 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
And I don't want to say I told you so (ages ago) but...

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1238192551972278276
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

From a business point of view this is a disaster - not only for the cruise industry itself but also the sub industries that rely on it.

Whilst it is of paramount importance to focus on Covid-19 there have to be measures put in place to support industries / businesses during and also in the immediate aftermath.

I take no pleasure whatsoever in reading about these decisions - this pandemic is going to affect the global economy for years to come. Even if you dont contract the virus it'll affect you in some way.

G
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2020, 10:05 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I take no pleasure either, however I'm frustrated that it was clear that this was going to happen, but nobody else seemed to acknowledge it.  Thousands of people in close contact just now isn't a great idea, let alone moving them all from country to country.

Cunard must be hugely affected.  They have lots of older passengers, who are being advised not to go on cruise ships (or anywhere else now).  I'm amazed they've managed to keep sailing this long.

The cruise industry provides employment and enjoyment, but also has a huge number of problems now due to constant growth over the past couple of decades (thousands of extremely large polluting ships).

The majority of businesses will be affected, lots of them very seriously. Lots of us are going to have to lose our jobs, or take unpaid leave, hopefully temporarily...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

We are getting ready to disembark QM2 after a fabulous 25 night cruise around Australia.

With the developing Coronavirus situation the Captain announced this morning that no new passengers will be embarking on the ship this morning and that there will be no crew changes, including himself.  He also announced that the ship would not call at reunion isles and there may be further itinerary changes depending on how the virus situation develops.

These changes have been done for the safety of crew and passengers. I have to say that while onboard ship I have felt it is a safe environment and not felt at risk, but now going off ship and with homeward ahead just need to take what precautions I can take.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
All the best, Lynda, for a safe homeward journey ! June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
More cruise lines are suspending operations, at least into and out of US ports for 30 days - MSC, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney, Aida, and Norwegian.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Alex Tarry

Probably not the best time to have a hotel based in an old ocean liner also...

Next few weeks will be crazy, bigger question now is whether things go back to where they were...or change permanently?

Personally I feel some things, like the cruise industry, may never be quite the same again...

Offline Bruce Nicholls

It certainly makes the investment in a mega ship look a doubtful one, in the medium term at least.

Offline skilly56

And, ALL cruise ships are banned from New Zealand ports until June 30th (at this time), so that's the end of the NZ cruise season for this year. The effects on tourism-based industries & small businesses here will be huge!

ALL people (except for aircrew) flying into NZ after midnight today (Sunday 15th March) will now have to go into 14 days of monitored self-isolation.

Who would want to come down here for a holiday, and spend the first 14 days isolated in a hotel room?
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2020, 01:46 PM by skilly56 »

Online Chris Thompson

With all this panic buying going on I wonder if disembarking pax are nicking the toilet paper... ;D

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Lynda Bradford

Need to wait for Cunard to confirm this latest information. It appears the ship is still in Fremantle and yesterday the Captain announced the changes to itinerary and if World Cruise passengers wanted to disembark arrangement would be made.

There are a couple of inaccuracies in the Independent’s report so we should wait for Cunard’s PR release, but it is is  a possibility.

The world has gone crazy!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
From the Financial Times

Will cruise ships survive and what will be left of them?

It is no surprise that virus-hit Carnival is the FTSE’s worst performer this year

https://www.ft.com/content/ebdab86c-6509-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Need to wait for Cunard to confirm this latest information. It appears the ship is still in Fremantle and yesterday the Captain announced the changes to itinerary and if World Cruise passengers wanted to disembark arrangement would be made.

There are a couple of inaccuracies in the Independent’s report so we should wait for Cunard’s PR release, but it is is  a possibility.

The world has gone crazy!

Information is here - https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories

Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 64
Views: 10154
Last post Sep 23, 2021, 04:05 AM
by Trevor Harris