Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 59862 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
It may feel like that in the UK, where the vaccination rollout is gathering steam, but it does not feel like that in most other parts of the world. You may remember the experts saying that none of us are safe until all of us are safe. It is very much in the interests of everyone to share the vaccines around the world as equitably as possible, so that we may all eventually feel a lot safer. I really doubt that this will be the case until the end of 2024 or thereabouts.

Indeed, several of my relatives who live in Europe (Spain, Norway, and the Netherlands respectively) and who are either in the vulnerable ages ranges or are near to those age ranges currently have no vaccination in sight and just have their fingers crossed. I agree that blocking of vaccines to certain countries or areas of the world (such as the EU blocking vaccines in Italy that were headed to Australia) is not on to say the least and to put it very mildly. I also think a country being politically threatened as a whole for the production issues a pharmaceutical company in that country was having with manufacturing the vaccine is despicable and I am glad that was quickly dealt with. All the demand for the vaccines cannot be met quickly unfortunately and there is a queue where some countries or areas will have to wait longer sadly. It is good that the Oxford vaccine is able to be (unlike the Pfizer one) and is being distributed far and wide as far as it's production is allowing. Hopefully the same is happening with the other vaccines that are also able to be distributed like this so that we can all come out of this nightmare ASAP.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I agree with what you say Isabelle, of course, however we could all be sitting here still waiting for someone, somewhere to come up with a vaccine that works with no end in sight for anyone... that was a genuine possibility.

The fact that there are now umpteen successful vaccines being produced all over the world should give everyone, everywhere hope.  They seem to be even more successful than the highest hopes, and now there are new single-dose vaccines, and also ones that can be stored at room temperature.  And its great to see the developed countries pumping money and support into the Covax project https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVAX .  Everything is speeding up and moving forward rapidly now.

For me, we've been in full, complete lockdown here for over 4 months (although I've lost count slightly) - one of the strictest lockdowns anywhere.  Its been pretty intense to be honest, and is very wearing.  I get surprised recently seeing videos from elsewhere of all the things they're able to do that we can't - friends in America being one of the main ones.  I've not been in a supermarket for a year now, although thats a personal restriction because its always seemed like an unnecessary risk.

« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2021, 03:46 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Apologies to all...  :-[

I had not meant to start a political discussion, but to point out that I doubt we shall feel safe to travel or to cruise again until something like 70% of the world's population has been vaccinated. Every government and every pharmaceutical company will have to use their own judgement as to what they deem to be best, but it will definitely take a long time until sufficient immunity is reached around the world.

Meanwhile, let us enjoy the pleasures closer to home, which may very well involve taking a trip on a boat or a ship.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I think you're right, it will be years and years before the travel industry is back to new-normal -and even then it won't be the same as it was (old ships being gone for example).

Within my family, we have said we don't visualise dining in a restaurant or cafe this year, although we can visualise eating outside one - but this shows just how far we are from all feeling like we'd go aboard a cruise ship.  I'm unsure yet if I'll feel comfortable even going aboard poor Waverley, we shall see.  I'm unsure about a hotel, but self-catering might be OK.

I've still never seen a peep from any cruise line about anything they're planning on doing to improve their air-conditioning.  Mind you that goes for my employer too...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

Within my family, we have said we don't visualise dining in a restaurant or cafe this year, although we can visualise eating outside one     

At least your considering it, even if it is only outside.

It was quite interesting last year to visit eateries and see how they interpret the rules/guidelines. Some felt very safe  and were to be commended, and others were less so, They all had different ways of doing the very basic things

But really at the end of the day you are dependent on two things. The Owners/ Management of these places, who are at the end of the day concerned about profit, of course, they preach safe working and all that, but corners are being cut. Then you have Joe Public, Joe public is very unpredictable and sometimes can't or doesn't want to obey even the simple rules, Joe Public doesnt like to be told what to do.
There was the case locally at the end of December of a funeral wake which attracted over a hundred people, they had the catering for the numbers so it was pre planned . And whats the outcome, A great big fat Zero no fine, no warning, no nothing .   

The case this past weekend of the Football club and the fans, A nice photo of the Manager at the window with a thumbs up.  and the Government still farting about deciding what to do . its quite simple. Dont play the match , and warn the fans stay away or your getting fined, fined by the police who are there unvaccinated dealing with a bunch of hoods, the same hoods who are crying out for a pint down the local.
Football has proved in recent times that they are not bothered about rules and no one seems to have the backbone to say NO to them. Rather than having the team go to Dubai to practice, what's wrong with the football fields over here ?   
 There's also the Elections in May which appear to be somehow Covid safe, there's a perfectly good system in place to ensure this is worked with a minimum of risk or fuss and would reduce the people traveling to the various polling stations, The same polling stations are already advised it's going ahead, of course, that isn't officially official yet . So why not simply insist, yes insist it's a Postal Vote for everyone, But that interferes with everyone's human rights and that they need to have a choice.   

I'm unsure about a hotel, but self-catering might be OK.

I stayed in a Travelodge last year in Central London. Contactless, the door swings open when you arrive, minimal interaction with reception to get your keycard. No bar, No restaurant, No housekeeping,  it was l must say a very safe experience.  And while it doesn't sound fun , it felt very safe and that was the main factor.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Has anyone seen a news article about the effect on the Philippines?

The huge number of Filipino crew who were on board all the cruise ships must run into the tens of thousands, and they'll almost all have stopped earning and gone home.  Must have been quite an impact on the country, on top of everything else?

I did find this article though - https://esquiremag.ph/long-reads/features/filipino-cruise-ship-crew-ready-to-sail-again-a00289-20210122-lfrm2

Because the Philippines supplies the industry with so many of its manpower, it is particularly affected by the global shutdown. The Economist estimates that about a third of all cruise ship crews are Filipino, and with so many of them sidelined because of the pandemic, the economic impact may be nothing short of catastrophic.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
I haven't seen any news about the effect on the Philippines other than the article you've linked to Rob - there seems to have been a news blackout otherwise and certainly no news in our Western media sadly. I have often wondered about the 10,000s of crew from the Philippines and how they're doing in this situation.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

The most touching report I heard (on the BBC) was about some 150 seafarers from Kiribati, a Pacific island nation which has not suffered a single case of Covid-19 and which has firmly closed its borders to any arrivals from anywhere whatever.

These seafarers have been accommodated in a youth hostel in Hamburg and are being very well looked after, including with communication facilities with their families. One of them talked about a 2-year-old daughter whom he had never yet seen. They are fine where they are and have no complaints... but they would so much like to be able to go home!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Just received in the mail a rather elaborate brochure from Princess Cruises. It is advertising six cruises in various parts of the world at some very low prices. Included are perks of drinks package, on board incentives, dining upgrades, cabin upgrades, free wi-fi among others. The interesting thing is that there are no dates given for these projected cruises. One is instructed to go on line.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Trevor Harris

I wonder if we'll see a return to smaller ships, rather than the large behemoths that are being planned / built.  Probably not, but its a cute thought.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Andy Holloway

The problem is Trevor that smaller ships are not cost effective, and in this modern, cut throat industry cost effectiveness is paramount. It's all about onboard revenue and how much you can squeeze out of each passenger, cut the basic cost of the cruise then, once they're onboard, 'wring the living daylights out of their wallets!

The only smaller ships you'll see around will be the likes of SeaDream, Silverseas, Seabourn type companies, and they are expensive in comparison to the monster ships.

The only cruise ships that will remain small, by comparison, will be River Cruises boats, and that is purely because of the restrictions in the size of the locks on most rivers.
Having said that, i must admit to really enjoying the River Cruises 'we' have done, the Rhine being my favourite for scenery, and The Seine for the Interesting trips - the Somme and Normandy Beaches - away from your 'home'! These boats are usually around the 150 passenger mark, which is a lovely, manageable number. On the down side, if you get a few 'annoying' passengers, which you would anywhere, it's difficult to get away from them without retreating to your cabin and 'attacking' the complimentary mini bar!

Online Lynda Bradford

News from Cunard that the 2022 World Cruises have been cancelled.  New itineraries are available. 

Simon Palethorpe give details on this Cunard update:

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories?otprrf=https_www.google.com

Sad news that the Queen Victoria will not resume cruising until next year - thinking about all her crew
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Royal Caribbean has delayed the Odyssey of the Seas inaugural sailing due to positive Covid cases among crew.

And I don't recall which ship, but two passengers who were asymptomatic tested positive on return to port.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

Makes you wonder what they will do with her, Berth her up somewhere and switch of the engine, or keep her ticking away at sea, what exactly can you do, just carry on the same as the past year.

Orkney are all ready and set to receive cruise ships,they have put in place various things and are just waiting for the word. Trouble is the Governement seem to think that things can be turned on and off like a light switch. While you have him in London doing his thing we have her up here who feels the need to be different . God forbind as a nation we should be singing from the same sheet.

Then there is Aviation, clearly the gvernement have given up on that but with 10,000 pilots jobless its a sobering thought.

and in London you have Mr Lloyd Webber trying his damdest to get some Theatres into life.

But Football seems to be able to sail on regardless, the clubs and suporters have given us the two fingers by their actions, but pity help us if its even mentioned cancelling the upcoming football stuff . My thoughts wil be with those poor sods serving pints to the mindless arrogant yobs who will make a show tomorrow and if your in London.... lm reminded of the early covid messaging..Stay at home, protect yourself , avoid the thugs . You can ony hope and prey the London railways stations are ready for the onslaught.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2021, 12:58 PM by Rob Lightbody »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 64
Views: 9870
Last post Sep 23, 2021, 04:05 AM
by Trevor Harris