Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 60933 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
The Zaandam is not being allowed through the Panama Canal with any sick passengers aboard.  Four people aboard have died and they are aware of two others testing positive for Covid-19.  130 more aboard have flu like symptoms.  They are going to try an at sea transfer of all healthy passengers to Rotterdam.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Zaandam has received permission to go through the Panama Canal.  She is currently disembarking healthy passengers, 50 per lifeboat, to Rotterdam. The ill passengers and the four deceased are staying aboard Zaandam. What a situation to be in.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
In general, I believe that cruise ships carried on sailing for far, far too long.

But this is inexcusable : https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/31/cruise-ship-chief-zaandam-and-rotterdam-passengers-left-to-fend-for-themselves-covid-19-crisis
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Should they not be heading for their home ports, wherever they might be? I can see that other ports may not want to accept these passengers, although if they are seriously sick, they need to be admitted to the nearest hospitals if at all possible.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
You need to read this. It couldn't possibly be more serious for Carnival, and there's questions over whether it can survive.

Carnival cruises seeks $6bn funding amid coronavirus fallout

World’s largest cruise operator and owner of Diamond Princess admits sector may never recover from pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/31/carnival-cruises-seeks-6bn-funding-amid-coronavirus-fallout
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2020, 10:27 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

Given how most of the cruise lines are registered, lord knows where , in an effort to avoid paying as little Tax as possible and other implications, should a government bailout even be on the table ?

British Airways owners are registered in Spain, Flybe went under and was going bust anyway before this outbreak and Loganair provide a lifeline service to the Scottish Islands. Three Airlines and three different reasons for wanting a bailout.   

Interesting times indeed. And what word of Cunards new ship being built as we speak, Queen Corona
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
Who could have imagined that...
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2020, 07:35 AM by QE2forever »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Two very good replies there!  You both made me laugh, despite the obvious gravity of the entire situation.

I can't see cruising resuming within a year, and I think it will be longer, and unrecognisable when it does.

Who could have imagined that...

Excellent, who did you do that for? 
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2020, 09:19 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
No one... Just had the idea.

I've got plenty of time right now - most clients closed, all projects being laid up idle or cancelled.

Keeping calm and carrying on drawing  ;D

I did another one to help figure out why the lockdown is so important. Now can you imagine how many interactions in a ship with 5,000 individuals?

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

I did another one to help figure out why the lockdown is so important. Now can you imagine how many interactions in a ship with 5,000 individuals?

Both excellent illustrations! Thank you for sharing them with us. That second one is great for helping people to understand the importance of the lockdown. And you don't even have to be a mathematician :) .

Offline Andy Holloway

I am in contact with 3 friends who are still at sea but with 3 different cruise lines.
1 is with HAL and has been on a 'grand tour' of the  Mexican coast between Cabo san Lucas and San Diego to collect supplies, off load sludge, refuel etc.
Another has been been flown from Canada, where he lives, to UK, taken to Dover, boarded his ship and went straight into a 14 day quarantine period, then he'll take over as Security Officer. On the up side, he is in a top level suite with balcony and an 'unrivaled view' of the grey cliffs of Dover!
The 3rd one is with RCCL and is at anchor outside Tampa for the next 2 weeks. Then they'll go back in and off load about 500 crew leaving a 'worknig/safety' crew of about 150!
He was due off in 3 weeks, but his relief is stuck in India!!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
' ... In the largest <peacetime> maritime operation ever undertaken in the harbour, NSW Police and the Port Authority are moving at least 1300 crew members between five cruise ships today ...'https://www.9news.com.au/health/five-cruise-ships-to-depart-nsw-waters/d88cee37-16a9-4b01-aab6-310787d30318
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2020, 12:22 PM by Boris »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
' ... In the largest <peacetime> maritime operation ever undertaken in the harbour, NSW Police and the Port Authority are moving at least 1300 crew members between five cruise ships today ...'https://www.9news.com.au/health/five-cruise-ships-to-depart-nsw-waters/d88cee37-16a9-4b01-aab6-310787d30318

I hadn't read about this, thats impressive.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Another Princess cruise ship just docked in the Port of Miami with two aboard deceased and a number of others testing positive for Covid-19.  I can't for the life of me fathom why people would start on a cruise in March, especially on Princess, with all of the coronavirus infections already so prevalent. 

Online Chris Thompson

I can't for the life of me fathom why people would start on a cruise in March, especially on Princess, with all of the coronavirus infections already so prevalent.

Unfortunately June it's human nature! Plus probably an unforgiving cruise line cancellation policy.
People out there are just not taking this seriously enough, the lake I live on is packed this weekend, several of the larger boats have at least 10 people on then and they are not social distancing!

Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 64
Views: 10152
Last post Sep 23, 2021, 04:05 AM
by Trevor Harris