Author Topic: Coronavirus : general discussion focussed on the impact on the cruise industry  (Read 60940 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Welcome home QM2 and well done to Cunard and the ship's crew who have kept QM2 virus free for the whole World Cruise.   :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Welcome home QM2! Very unusual to see her at City Cruise Terminal, which would offer a wonderful close up view from the neighbouring Mayflower Park! What a treat to those using the park for their quarantine exercise!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
This is a very moving piece, that aligns a real story with the timeline we've lived out in this topic from January.

'Nobody wants us to dock': how coronavirus wrecked one couple's dream cruise

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/14/nobody-wants-us-to-dock-how-coronavirus-wrecked-one-couples-dream-cruise
« Last Edit: Apr 15, 2020, 12:09 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Is the cruise industry finally out of its depth?

Accidents, pollution, exploitation… cruise firms were in murky waters even before Covid-19

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/apr/19/is-the-cruise-industry-finally-out-of-its-depth
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

Interesting article worth reading, especially about other issues, such as pollution the cruising industry is responsible for and the working conditions for crew. 

However, it is not just the cruise industry that will be under threat, but the whole tourism industry.  We are already reading about remote areas having signs posted for tourists to stay away and not spread the virus. 

Seeing cities that are normally tourist hotspots now empty because of the current Covid-19 lockdown, gives us food for thought about the protests that have been made about the number of tourists visiting cities (throughout the world).  Locals complain that apartments are being purchased and rented out instead of being available for local to purchase. In Edinburgh, it is busy to saturation point, not just at festival time but for most of the year. 

We enjoy our cruises/holidays - it may take time for the tourism industry to recover and perhaps it is the time to reconsider what benefits cruising companies give to the places they visit, the conditions on cruise ships and the hygiene of passengers e.g. sneezing into your hand is not acceptable. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
This is a more upbeat article.

Coronavirus journey: The 'last cruise ship on Earth' finally comes home

The three last cruise ships still sailing with passengers will dock today - and one has had quite the odyssey.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52350262

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2020, 04:53 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
She is down to around 8 knots, passing the IoW off Ventnor. Probably just stretching her legs, as QV has been doing, before returning to Southampton.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Twynkle

Hi Thomas,
Isn’t she moving so as to try and keep her hull clear of barnacles.
Once growing, they slow down the ship, and cause a great deal of expense fuel-wise.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Hi Thomas,
Once growing, they slow down the ship, and cause a great deal of expense fuel-wise.

That could be one reason, although I'd imagine that would be more of an issue in warmer waters such as in Dubai (as evidenced by QE2's underwater hull, albeit in a static role).

Offline Andy Holloway

Hi Thomas,

Having sailed half way around the world to get home, I'd expect that she would have shed far more rubbish off her hull than a few hours sailing up and down the Channel.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Cluster infection on the Costa Atlantica in Nagasaki.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200422_33/

She is undergoing repairs there and has 623 crew on board, but no passengers. 33 of the crew members have so far tested positive.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/04/22/national/nagasaki-coronavirus-cruise/?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_23_04_2020)#.XqC4kS97H6A

Note also the last paragraph, mentioning the Diamond Princess going back into service...

Update on 26 April : More infections on board the Costa Atlantica.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/04/25/national/coronavirus-outbreak-cruise-ship-nagasaki/?ct=t(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_26_04_2020)#.XqYhMy-w36A
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2020, 01:17 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Watching Queen Mary 2 wandering around in the sunshine with no passengers is making me want to be on board more than anything.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

I wonder whether the fact that crews are now usually of such mixed nationalities complicates matters too... In one of the cases mentioned above somewhere (apologies for not remembering where...), it became a real problem to help all of them make their way back home, when each country had different regulations about incoming air traffic and many airports were closed altogether.

Would it make things easier if crew members were mostly recruited from one country or a much smaller number of countries?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
One particulate reference was to crew from India as the borders were closed.  I do not know if they are still closed.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Cruising and Coronavirus - How to get going again?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 64
Views: 10152
Last post Sep 23, 2021, 04:05 AM
by Trevor Harris