Author Topic: Alex visiting QE2 Hotel - June 2022  (Read 2936 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Alex visiting QE2 Hotel - June 2022
« Reply #30 on: Jun 16, 2022, 03:01 PM »
Great to see these photos !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #31 on: Jun 17, 2022, 04:10 PM »
Ah my old friend the Mid Ships Lobby, spent many an hour there during Embarkation, [very enjoyable] & disembarkation [no quite so!].

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #32 on: Jun 17, 2022, 11:48 PM »
Alex has kindly sent us this review of his visit.

Quote from: Alex Tarry
This was my seventh visit to QE2 as a hotel after previously sailing with her five times…the ship really is a home-from-home for me…

On first impressions things had improved, the museum was fully open after spending a spell as a Covid testing centre and the ship was looking great.  The staff were ever-cheerful and happy to see me back and showed us to Cabin 1034 after a much appreciated upgrade…

The ship’s profile is a little altered with the addenda around the Float nightclub, but otherwise appears in find fettle.

The cabin and ship were as expected, always very quiet and no evidence yet of the Accor partnership, but apparently 420 odd rooms are now available to book.

On board, noticeable changes included seemingly finished deck three and four accommodation, access to deck 5 corridor and of course the addition of the nightclub.

A joy was the gamut of Jubilee events, from which we chose the gala dinner in the Queens Room.  With welcome cocktails, round tables, a reinstated dance floor and music from pipers, military drummers and band it was just like the old days, we both danced the night away…fabulous!

From my partner’s perspective, she very much enjoyed the ship, felt is was well presented, but felt more areas should have been kept original…but overall she loved it!

We both hope that more events like the Jubilee can be held on board, they certainly recall the glory days and being the ship to life…
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #33 on: Jun 18, 2022, 02:10 AM »
Looking good, as far as I can tell. I like the fence along the quayside.

But what about that fence like structure up top, aft of the funnel? What is that, and what is it doing?
Appears to be stage rigging, I think.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #34 on: Sep 10, 2022, 06:40 AM »
Ah, did I get a glimpse of the Mauretania model recessed into a wall, looks like. I am glad the QE2 is kept well, many places look different, but still beautiful.

Offline MiamiCunarder

« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2022, 09:42 AM »
Can't say I'm a fan of the random displays at the now-closed Deck One shop. Seems like a mismatch of items on display. Moreover, the chair and table don't seem to match anything I ever saw onboard during her sailing days.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #36 on: Sep 16, 2022, 07:06 PM »
Agree.

Looks like there are new doors in place separating the cabin alleyways from the stairways. Maybe to keep out the casual visitors.

And an unattractive crew door... but perhaps not in a frequented place, so it does not matter much.

Those are original fire doors onto the stairways. However, down on Five Deck (which is where staff who live onboard are accommodated) the watertight doors have been replaced by fire doors with windows in addition to her original fire doors. I saw this when I briefly looked around Five Deck in early 2020 given it was staff only.

Looking good, as far as I can tell. I like the fence along the quayside.

But what about that fence like structure up top, aft of the funnel? What is that, and what is it doing?

The "fence" is her old Jacob's ladders, creatively and fittingly reused in my opinion.

The structure is for the lighting for the nightclub that's on Sun Deck where the Funnel Bar used to be.

Can't say I'm a fan of the random displays at the now-closed Deck One shop. Seems like a mismatch of items on display. Moreover, the chair and table don't seem to match anything I ever saw onboard during her sailing days.

The chair is from the Caronia Restaurant.

Sad to see the original lighting and original wood veneer has now gone on the Three and Four Deck cabin passageways. This is despite both these things being in good condition and fully functioning on One and Two Deck after repairs and potential asbestos removal. Maybe she rotted more on Three and Four Decks during the disastrous cold layup and in the years after?

Still sad to see the redone lift facades that don't match with the rest of the stairways.

The new signage also confirms the lifts being extended up to Signal Deck from Boat Deck at I think D Stairway. I wonder what was sacrificed to make the needed space?

The cabin doors on Five Deck still have their original door handles, cabin numbers, and I presume locks. Does this mean that staff onboard are using the keys we used to use with the same Cunard branding on the metal plate with the cabin number attached to the key ring? That would be a nice touch but would also be surprising given her new branding and how sought after the Cunard branding on such QE2 items is these days.

As Alex has said, events are her bread and butter these days and are what bring her to life in her static role. I experienced this with the very popular Friday Brunch and some corporate events onboard during my stay in early 2020. The Lido came to life just like the old days and I was able to shut my eyes and go back in time. She isn't busy at other times given she no longer has a captive audience or anywhere like the same number of "crew" anymore, the same issue other static, ocean liners converted to hotels also have and is not necessarily a reflection on Dubai.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2022, 08:09 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #37 on: Sep 16, 2022, 07:09 PM »
So did they just throw away the original signs, what a waste, I would love to have one.
Good thing I wasn't on the last voyage, I would have had some tools with me and been busy in the wee hours! ;)

I think so unfortunately, along with a lot of other items some of which I saw dumped on the dockside during my stay on her in early 2020. This is the second change of her onboard signage that Dubai have done since she opened in April 2018. Luckily her Boat Deck benches (that were amongst the dumped stuff) are being reused both onboard at her Five Deck gangways and now for much needed seating on the dockside (my photo from last month).
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2022, 08:10 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.