Author Topic: Alex visiting QE2 Hotel Dubai, July 2023  (Read 3606 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Alex visiting QE2 Hotel Dubai, July 2023
« on: Jul 16, 2023, 12:35 PM »
Alex has just returned from a couple of nights on the QE2 Hotel in Dubai, staying in none other stateroom than the famous 8001 !

He was in communication with Michael and myself during his visit (thank you Alex!) and our main request for photos was "anything thats changed since last time please".

Photos to follow throughout the week coming.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

Re: Alex visiting QE2 Hotel Dubai, July 2023
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2023, 12:48 PM »
am not one of those big  "hoi-polloi" type of people,  but I can well imagine sitting on that sofa, probably on the balcony, with a large G&T close to hand, watching the world go by.
Not quite sure of the significance of the cage dancing  set up though.
Thanks Alex!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2023, 11:14 AM »
Today, a few more pics of suite 8001 on QE2, including a view of the mast and the clever portholes they added so they get a view from their verandah (why didn't Cunard think of that!?)
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2023, 11:17 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2023, 06:39 PM »
8 more photos from Alex's trip.

What do you think?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2023, 01:19 PM »
A final photos from 8001, then some of what we think are called the Sun Deck Lounges, which is where the Engineers cabins used to be.
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2023, 01:27 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2023, 02:45 PM »
Today's photo from Alex's visit, are of the former Queens Grill Lounge, where they now have a display of I believe the Royal Family.  Final photo shows the area outside.

To my eyes this area is one of the least changed.  The lights are as-was, as is the ceiling treatment - in fact the curve on the inner wall of the ceiling looks like its 1968 original?

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2023, 03:21 AM »
8 more photos from Alex's trip.

What do you think?

The (new) drinks cabinet in QM suite was featured in the documentary series back in 2020 along with other bits of "drama"!

The photos looking up at that wonderful signal mast bring back memories of my visit to QE suite on our last trip on QE2 and getting neck ache looking up! One of the other teen passengers had the QE suite with their family and invited a group of us up there. We bundled into the QG lounge lift while the waiters looked at us like we shouldn't be there partly as we were a noisy group with our excitement!

I hope they use the cover on the port side bridge wing's "barbecue" manoeuvring station given the sand blasting she gets overall (sand gets everywhere). The port bridge wing's gyro repeater is also very askew when it should be level (probably moved like that by someone on the heritage tours).
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2023, 03:36 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2023, 12:45 PM »
Some photos from out on the deck.

Do we think there is a wood or wood-like covering for the deck that is low maintenance, that could cope with the Dubai climate? 

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2023, 10:37 PM »
Do we think there is a wood or wood-like covering for the deck that is low maintenance, that could cope with the Dubai climate?

Timber Deck Advanced PVC might do the job?  Yes, it's plastic but they can make it look like wood, as the name suggests, and it's specifically designed for use in hot climates.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2023, 11:34 PM »
Today's photo from Alex's visit, are of the former Queens Grill Lounge, where they now have a display of I believe the Royal Family.  Final photo shows the area outside.

To my eyes this area is one of the least changed.  The lights are as-was, as is the ceiling treatment - in fact the curve on the inner wall of the ceiling looks like its 1968 original?

Trying to remember the furniture that was there -- a lot more comfortable if memory serves me well. These little chairs do not look inviting to linger over an afternoon tea...

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2023, 11:37 PM »
A final photos from 8001, then some of what we think are called the Sun Deck Lounges, which is where the Engineers cabins used to be.

I rather like the look of this space, with its strong colours quite unlike the QE2 colour scheme in 2008. Maybe a successful look for a new area.

It is great that Alex can keep sending us photos of QE2 as she is now -- thank you, Alex!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2023, 11:38 AM »
I asked Alex for photos of the Royal Arcade area, so he took us along for a look.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2023, 01:08 PM »
We bundled into the QG lounge lift while the waiters looked at us like we shouldn't be there partly as we were a noisy group with our excitement!   
Reminds me of the time on the Farewell crossingS when the cabin cavalcade group were meeting in the Midships Lobby, and we were running a bit late and dared to encroach on MrTQ space.

I never saw him in the light again.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2023, 01:11 PM »
With the Promenade shops all but shuttered up, is the Grand Lounge used for anything ?  Or have they condensed the shopping to Smugglers Cove as some of us affectionately called the place . Im assuming they do sell souvenirs ? 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2023, 07:07 PM »
The yacht club looking a little sorry for itself.  Although its hard to suggest to them what they should do with it, unless they can fill the hotel with guests first !

I have such fond memories of that space when she was in service.  Such fun.