Author Topic: Alex James : Hello Fellow QE2'ers  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Alex James

Alex James : Hello Fellow QE2'ers
« on: May 12, 2015, 02:10 PM »
My wife and I had the pleasure of cruising on QE2 several times in the last years of her service.
Sue worked for Miller Rayner in Southampton and oversaw the supply of uniforms, etc. to captains, officers and crew on QE2.
We were honoured to meet Dennis Dawson, who was the chief sun deck steward on his final cruise back from New York before he retired.
Since then Dennis has become a very good friend of ours and we visit Dennis at this home in Southampton, and love his stories of passengers and crew on the QE2.
Despite his ill health he is still the same Dennis we all love, and he can still be heard greeting the females with "Alright Lady!"
If you have any messages or photos to give Dennis, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:22 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Hello Fellow QE2'ers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:24 PM »
Welcome, Alex, to The QE2 Story Forum.  This is definitely the place to be for all things QE2, and it certainly sounds like you and your wife have a close association with QE2.  I very much look forward to hearing more about your time on board and your wife's work.  Please tell us more about meeting Dennis and please post pictures if you have them.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Re: Alex James : Hello Fellow QE2'ers
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Hello Alex, it's good to have you here.

Dennis was another of QE2's many legendary characters. My main memories of him are when he was presenting passengers to the Captain for a handshake and a photo at Captains cocktail parties. A task he always accomplished with a very easy style.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Welcome Alex! Great to have you here. Looking forward to reading some of your memories.

I am looking forward to hearing some of Dennis's stories and I am sure you can give the greetings and good wishes of everyone here to him.

As for Sue, I hope that she too will let us into the stories of her work with the QE2 uniforms -- this will be an aspect we have not yet covered at all in the Forum! Did she get on board regularly to deliver them?

Make yourself at home, and if you have any questions or problems, just let us know.

There is a handy guide here -- we can always update it and add to it too! :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3787.0.html

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Welcome Alex, hope you enjoy being a member of the forum !
 Best wishes Lynda
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 10:36 PM »
Welcome Alex!
Hope you enjoy exploring The QE2 Story Forum! :)
-Brandon
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:38 PM by Brandon Sterkel »
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy it and have fun looking road and adding your own experiences to it.
I wonder are you members of the unique club that Dennis formed called The No Character Club.. ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Alex James

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:45 AM »
We asked Dennis if we were candidates for the No Character Club but he felt we were not suitable. I think that is a compliment......

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 08:54 PM »
I would say thats a very big compliment.! ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!