Author Topic: Alex visits to QE2 Dubai, September & October 2022  (Read 4248 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Alex visits to QE2 Dubai, September & October 2022
« Reply #45 on: Nov 07, 2022, 12:03 PM »
Another 8 photos from Alex's visit.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Nov 10, 2022, 07:05 PM »
Some more photos from Alex's visit
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #47 on: Nov 11, 2022, 08:31 PM »
I quite like the colour coding of the carpets in the alleyways, and could get used to the pattern, but I find the promenade looks sadly abandoned, and missing the jigsaw tableā€¦

It all looks clean and tidy though, which is of course the most important thing to keep the ship ship shape so to speak.

I wonder whether there were any people around while Alex was there? Although I suppose he had to make sure not to include people in his photos, for privacy reasons.

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #48 on: Nov 15, 2022, 11:38 AM »
Hi Isabelle,

The corridors and stairwells present very well and apart from the art being a bit randomly organised and for those of us familiar with the ship, somewhat out of place, they strike a good combination of original, yet bright and functional.  I think if we went back to 2008 not we'd find some areas a bit drab and tired, but of course we didn't mind because we were on QE2 and off to New York or whatever, sadly no longer the case!

To my eye the ship is as well maintained and organised as she's been since the hotel opened, the cabin areas being the best, the Lido and QG (didn't visit this time) are spot on and working well too, but the main public decks are bland and empty and would hugely benefit from the original art and furniture being replaced.

The outside decks need to come back to life, although its always so hot out there and everything gets covered in sand all the time, it's a challenge I am sure!  I saw they are starting to use the deck for a wrap around running/walking track, which is an excellent idea in my book...

You are correct with respect to photographing people, the ship was busier than I'd seen it of late, but I'll only take photographs when people are not in them/far away, out of respect for their privacy and not wanting to cause any issues.

The areas of the ship which now stand out as needing work are ironically the ones left since 2008, such as the Yacht Club, which still an amazing space looks tired and dated now...needing new carpets and furniture as a minimum...

Happy to answer any questions...

Alex James : Hello Fellow QE2'ers

Started by Alex JamesBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 8
Views: 2305
Last post May 14, 2015, 08:54 PM
by cunardqueen
Alex back on the QE2 Hotel, February 2023

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 26
Views: 2171
Last post Mar 21, 2023, 12:48 AM
by Barumfox
Alex visiting QE2 Hotel Dubai, July 2023

Replies: 32
Views: 3721
Last post Aug 16, 2023, 06:30 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Alex visiting QE2 Hotel - June 2022

Replies: 37
Views: 2934
Last post Sep 16, 2022, 07:09 PM
by Thomas Hypher
Alex - late September 2023 visit to QE2 Dubai - Photos & Videos from on board

Replies: 11
Views: 1147
Last post Oct 24, 2023, 12:51 PM
by Rob Lightbody