Author Topic: Unseen slides of QE2 being built, fitted out, on trials and early years.  (Read 47488 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

I have added 3 more slides - each of which is lovely - from November 1967 (best guess based on markings on the slides themselves).

Photos below, with Rob's titles and descriptions. All of them can be seen in this album :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=207

QE2 in Clydebank fitting out basin, November 1967 approx - Bow
Shot of QE2 bow-on in the fitting out basin

QE2 in Clydebank fitting out basin, November 1967 approx - Starboard Side
The launch gear as shown in a previous photo

QE2 in Clydebank fitting out basin, November 1967 approx - Front three quarters
I love this shot, because until recently, you could stand in that exact spot and imagine her sitting there. The foreground was roughly the same as late as 2019, not sure what its like now though (they're building a supermarket...)

Doesn't she look spanking new? Quite amazing!

And there too is the slot for the bow anchor which was later covered over.

Online Lynda Bradford

Brilliant Isabelle, these pictures are absolutely amazing, thanks for posting this selection of the photos that Rob has put in the gallery album. 

One of the photos above show the launch gear after the launch.  Another photo showing the launch gear is the one I have posted below, which I think is a very powerful picture with a story to tell!

You see the two old men beside the launch gear.  They look like two wise old men of shipbuilding, they probably had worked in the Yard since they were young and knew all there was to know about their trade.  Today men of their age would probably be retired.  Who are they?  I remember saying at the photo slide show event that Rob should give the photo to the Clydebank local paper to see if anyone recognises them. 

Thanks again Rob for rescuing the slides and thanks Isabelle for keeping us aware of this fantastic collection of pictures. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Just amazing photographs !  And what a treasure to have these photos of QE2's build.  It would indeed be interesting to learn who the two older gentlemen are.  QE2 is just gorgeous from any angle, but her bow is indeed just the best !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

That person could almost be Ronnie Bateson!

Bit late to the party here as only just seen this thread but can confirm it is not dad (Ronnie Bateson) - shame! 

Re: "Unseen" slides of QE2 being built, fitted out
« Reply #140 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Here are a few more photos, from Rob's collection for the Forum, all of them of QE2 under construction in Clydebank, September 1967.

Fascinating to see the big yellow plate with the figure 736! And amazing to see those huge supports for her hull...

QE2 under construction in Clydebank, September 1967.

Some more photos here, starting with her beautiful bow :

And her side, with its gleaming fresh colours :

Offline Ian Davies

Thank you for sharing these, They really give you the sense of scale and a new appreciation of the whole undertaking.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Many thanks for sharing. These views of QE2 are spectacular !  :)

Here are some more of the "unseen" photos of QE2 being built :

QE2 under construction in Clydebank, September 1967

And what looks like a rainy day photo :

I am always astonished by all the machinery and supports, and all the activities that went on simultaneously, in close co-ordination. Running a shipyard is a real miracle!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
These are great, Isabelle, and many thanks for posting !

With what appears to be acetylene torch sparks, is something being attached or taken off the hull ?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I have just added another batch of the "QE2 Unseen" slides into the gallery, covering around the time of May 1968.

LINK TO THE GALLERY ALBUM

Some of them are real stunners, and were amongst my favourite as they appeared during the scanning process.

Here's a couple of favourites :-

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Bob C.

These photos are magnificent.  I'm walking down memory lane seeing all the original spaces (or what will be the original spaces).

Offline Waverley

I agree. They are brilliant and a great photographic history of her construction

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Wonderful photos to see.  Just spectacular !  Thanks, Rob !

You Tube: An Old Unseen cinefilm of QE2 1969

Started by ChrisBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 1
Views: 2082
Last post Feb 26, 2014, 06:49 PM
by June Ingram
Unseen Helicopter Footage of QE2 coming into Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 61
Views: 14706
Last post Nov 28, 2018, 11:40 PM
by Thomas Hypher