Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: "Unseen" slides of QE2 being built, fitted out, on trials and early years.  (Read 5849 times)

Waverley and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pete cain

I'm really sorry not to've noticed this topic (I knew Rob was posting  bit by bit)  but WOW, just brilliant, I bet they are something else on a bigger screen.  What I love is that - no matter how much it's needed, the QE2 story logo on these beauties is tucked away discreetly so that we can enjoy the vista.
   Thanks Rob, these images here for ever,     QE2 Story  a historic repository in the making!!!

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
I seem to recall there being a picture in a Ladybird book about ships that was very similar to that picture of the bow being built...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Waverley

Is it this one from the Ladybird book “The Ocean Liner” ?

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Next series of pictures from the Gallery :

QE2 being constructed, 1967, starboard side

View across QE2's bow and Clydebank QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

A historical view now, a busy, smokey and probably noisy place... providing employment and an income for many. The "good old days" were maybe not altogether healthy old days...

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
Is it this one from the Ladybird book “The Ocean Liner” ?

Yes, that is the very picture I remember from 45 odd years ago...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

More of the "unseen" slides.

QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

Inside the theatre - QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

On the boat deck - QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

It is extraordinary to see these spaces, which we know so well, in their "raw" state, ready to become... and yet, many of the elements we know are already there, such as the long Boat Deck windows.

Offline Mauretania1907

Interestinng to see how slim the bow was atop the bulb (as shown in picture above)

Online Lynda Bradford

This is one of my favourite photos that I remember from the slide show that Rob done last year.  It shows a view of the Town of Clydebank taken from the ship in the fitting out basin.  On the left you can barely see the clock of the Clydebank Town Hall where we held the 50th anniversary of QE2's launch a few years ago and for those who remember Clydebank in the 1960 you can see Kilbowie Road and the Singer Sewing Machine factory, which is just about visible.

But what really fascinates me about the picture is I remember as the ship was being built she towered over the tenement building, but she was in the shipyard where only workers had access, so "Bankies" like me, could only watch with wonder as deck by deck she grew. However in this photo there is the reverse! QE2 is looking over Clydebank - watching me - watching her!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
These photos are amazing to see !  They are truly awe-inspiring !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

A few more photos from the "unseen" series.

The entire series is collected in the QE2Story Gallery, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=207

QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

Look aft on QE2 in summer 1967 towards the River Cart

QE2 under construction in Clydebank, September 1967

What an extraordinary picture of QE2's fabulous bow!

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
This is one of my favourite photos that I remember from the slide show that Rob done last year.

The clock tower between the crane and the chimney on the left of the picture... is that the town hall where we had the 50th "do" a couple of Septembers ago?

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The clock tower between the crane and the chimney on the left of the picture... is that the town hall where we had the 50th "do" a couple of Septembers ago?

Yes!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

This is one of my favourite photos that I remember from the slide show that Rob done last year...

Imagine my reaction that day, when I held the mystery slide up to my lounge window, and saw that tiny image shining back at me.  Then hitting the scan button, and seeing it appear in all its glory on my big computer monitor.  I love it, it tells an entire QE2 Story all on its own.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Spectacular photo looking up at QE2's bow !   :)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I have added 3 more slides - each of which is lovely - from November 1967 (best guess based on markings on the slides themselves).

The next slides  I will upload, jump to May 1968.

I have added 3 more slides - each of which is lovely - from November 1967 (best guess based on markings on the slides themselves).

Photos below, with Rob's titles and descriptions. All of them can be seen in this album :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=207

QE2 in Clydebank fitting out basin, November 1967 approx - Bow
Shot of QE2 bow-on in the fitting out basin

QE2 in Clydebank fitting out basin, November 1967 approx - Starboard Side
The launch gear as shown in a previous photo

QE2 in Clydebank fitting out basin, November 1967 approx - Front three quarters
I love this shot, because until recently, you could stand in that exact spot and imagine her sitting there. The foreground was roughly the same as late as 2019, not sure what its like now though (they're building a supermarket...)

Doesn't she look spanking new? Quite amazing!

And there too is the slot for the bow anchor which was later covered over.

Online Lynda Bradford

Brilliant Isabelle, these pictures are absolutely amazing, thanks for posting this selection of the photos that Rob has put in the gallery album. 

One of the photos above show the launch gear after the launch.  Another photo showing the launch gear is the one I have posted below, which I think is a very powerful picture with a story to tell!

You see the two old men beside the launch gear.  They look like two wise old men of shipbuilding, they probably had worked in the Yard since they were young and knew all there was to know about their trade.  Today men of their age would probably be retired.  Who are they?  I remember saying at the photo slide show event that Rob should give the photo to the Clydebank local paper to see if anyone recognises them. 

Thanks again Rob for rescuing the slides and thanks Isabelle for keeping us aware of this fantastic collection of pictures. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Just amazing photographs !  And what a treasure to have these photos of QE2's build.  It would indeed be interesting to learn who the two older gentlemen are.  QE2 is just gorgeous from any angle, but her bow is indeed just the best !   :)

Offline Jane Crosthwaite

That person could almost be Ronnie Bateson!

Bit late to the party here as only just seen this thread but can confirm it is not dad (Ronnie Bateson) - shame! 

Re: "Unseen" slides of QE2 being built, fitted out
« Reply #140 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Here are a few more photos, from Rob's collection for the Forum, all of them of QE2 under construction in Clydebank, September 1967.

Fascinating to see the big yellow plate with the figure 736! And amazing to see those huge supports for her hull...

QE2 under construction in Clydebank, September 1967.

Some more photos here, starting with her beautiful bow :

And her side, with its gleaming fresh colours :

Offline Ian Davies

Thank you for sharing these, They really give you the sense of scale and a new appreciation of the whole undertaking.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Many thanks for sharing. These views of QE2 are spectacular !  :)

Here are some more of the "unseen" photos of QE2 being built :

QE2 under construction in Clydebank, September 1967

And what looks like a rainy day photo :

I am always astonished by all the machinery and supports, and all the activities that went on simultaneously, in close co-ordination. Running a shipyard is a real miracle!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
These are great, Isabelle, and many thanks for posting !

With what appears to be acetylene torch sparks, is something being attached or taken off the hull ?

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I have just added another batch of the "QE2 Unseen" slides into the gallery, covering around the time of May 1968.

LINK TO THE GALLERY ALBUM

Some of them are real stunners, and were amongst my favourite as they appeared during the scanning process.

Here's a couple of favourites :-

Offline Bob C.

These photos are magnificent.  I'm walking down memory lane seeing all the original spaces (or what will be the original spaces).

Online Waverley

I agree. They are brilliant and a great photographic history of her construction

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
Wonderful photos to see.  Just spectacular !  Thanks, Rob !

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Just wonderful! I particularly like the dynamic shots with the welding (previous post) and the photo looking aft down Boat Deck from what would become the "Bit beneath the Bridge", showing the prefabricated aluminium sections that would make up Sun and Signal decks going into place.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Rod

They are truly magnificent.
How many of you in 1969, would have thought that those bits of steel and aluminium, would mean so much to so many?
I still remember my time on board vividly, for the most part anyway, but the other day I was thinking that today, I would need one of you to show me around, Don't recognize half the places by dacor anyway!