Author Topic: Unseen slides of QE2 being built, fitted out, on trials and early years.  (Read 47487 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: QE2 slides on eBay
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Congratulations Rob! And thank you Waverley for bringing them to the forum's attention! Can't wait to see the photos!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Me... ::)

There were only 4 bidders in total. One of the others l think looks like one l  have sold to in the past.

Yep Myles - it was me!

:)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Thanks, Rob and Waverley !  What a wonderful find !  I, also, can't wait to see them !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Yep Myles - it was me!   

All is fair in love and war, Except when it comes to Ebay.. :)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2019, 06:28 PM »
All is fair in love and war, Except when it comes to Ebay.. :)

I am quite naïve about eBay...

Are you saying that (a) you were all bidding for these slides in order to donate them to the Forum, but without having let Rob know, or (b) you made Rob spend more Forum funds because you were competing with him for the slides?

Or both...?

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2019, 09:35 PM »
I was wondering about that...  Should we prepare a plank...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:16 PM »

Are you saying that (a) you were all bidding for these slides in order to donate them to the Forum, but without having let Rob know, or (b) you made Rob spend more Forum funds because you were competing with him for the slides?

Or both...?

Isabelle,

I cast my bid before I read this thread otherwise I would've backed off because it (unfortunately in this case) pushes the end cost up hence Rob paid more. My bid was way off what they eventually went for.
Photos are for viewing - if I had won these instead of Rob then the outcome would've been the same.

Looking forward to seeing them and also happy knowing that a valuable collection of original slides is now in good hands!

So you can draw your plank in Peter  :)

Gav

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:40 PM »

The first thing and the golden rule is with Ebay, when you click "confirm bid" you are entering into a contract and  agreeing to pay that price IF you win, its not a game or a thing to play about with. and as a seller on ebay l dont hold any prisoners. There is nothing worse that having someone bid and then asking to have it cancelled (it can be cancelled but we dont go there) and the bidder can retract the bid, which l dont agree with.   
When you look at the bid history, and that isnt my seller name for obvious reasons the bid placed is the maximum that person has bid, in my case £125  Joe Blogs can bid a higher figure  . Indeed the winning bidder will generally appear to have won the bid by only a small amount, For all we know the winning bidder could have placed a £500 bid but previous bidders wont know that and can continue to bid and be out bid until that maximim bid is reached.

I recently stopped using my original ebay seller name , generally because when your reach a feedback of six thousand some things can happen so l swopped to what is now my other account.

Why did l bid what l did , simply l was happy to pay the price l bid. And l was not going to get involved in a bidding war. As it happens l didnt win , the reason doesnt matter ,But it would not have been  hot footing it down to Tesco to make copies and flood the market . It might have been quite nice to hire a local hall lay on some tea and homebakes and have a slide show like the good old days  and remind us of the merrits of the SWRI and their slide shows 

I was wondering about that...  Should we prepare a plank...? 

Im happy to walk the plank , However it should be noted for the prosecution l cannot swim. and lm not really good with water, least of all being made to jump in it.
and like l say..all is fair in love and war, except when it comes to Ebay.
For what its worth, lm surprised Rob won, l honesty expected them to go for much more and to one of three people who didnt bid. But then its a strange world on Ebay.

Bidder   Bid amount   Bid time
r***y(501)   £172.88   10 Mar 2019 at 7:40:01PM GMT
r***y(501)   £172.88   9 Mar 2019 at 5:56:42PM GMT
r***y(501)   £172.88   8 Mar 2019 at 10:23:32AM GMT
s***s(3610)   £167.88   10 Mar 2019 at 8:06:30PM GMT
Myles (1220)   £125.00   10 Mar 2019 at 6:19:01PM GMT
v***2(573)   £121.00   10 Mar 2019 at 4:28:51PM GMT
v***2(573)   £107.00   10 Mar 2019 at 4:25:26PM GMT
v***2(573)   £90.00   10 Mar 2019 at 2:37:41PM GMT
r***y(501)   £75.00   7 Mar 2019 at 4:49:26PM GMT
Starting price   £74.99   3 Mar 2019 at 8:06:33PM GMT

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:04 PM »
I recently stopped using my original ebay seller name , generally because when your reach a feedback of six thousand some things can happen

Sounds intriguing - what sort of things happen when the feedback reaches 6,000?

I stopped selling on e-Bay myself a few months ago; I'm just about to launch my own website for selling off my unwanted items... so I'm not likely to reach the 6,000 level myself - I'm on 344 or something...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:51 AM »
The latest news on the slides is that I think they're at my local post office (even though the eBay item itself still says its not sent), however just to make things more interesting, my local post office has apparently shut down...  I'll sort it out tomorrow morning.

As soon as I have them, I'll scan a couple in and describe the rest of them if I can.

Providing prints of them is possible - however I am realistic - people just scan things in and post them on Facebook then there's nothing to show for £177!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2019, 05:51 PM »
  The latest news on the slides is that I think they're at my local post office (even though the eBay item itself still says its not sent), however just to make things more interesting, my local post office has apparently shut down...  I'll sort it out tomorrow morning. 

If its the online tracking system, then the seller should have sent these by Special Delivery (which does provide full online tracking ) Special delivery provides compensation for the value of the package in this case.
 If the seller has gone for the cheap option of "Signed for", then the tracking only kicks in to show when the item has actually been delivered and only provides compensation upto £40 . and assuming the postperson has scanned the barcode. with this recent addition to the service it allows for ANY item larger than a large letter to have the confirmed delivery shown on the ebay tracking when its been delivered. For the ebay sellers out there this is a valuable tool for buyers who claim the item hasnt been delivered . its a marvelous system and as yet highly undervalued. 

Providing prints of them is possible - however I am realistic - people just scan things in and post them on Facebook then there's nothing to show for £177!! 
Thats the harsh reality, l was offered duplicate photos from very well meaning friends on here, and l was very flattered to find some of my own photos among them.

As soon as I have them, I'll scan a couple in and describe the rest of them if I can.   
At the risk of telling someone how to suck eggs , this is an ideal chance to rather than post a whole load in one go to post them one at a time and allow for some discussion on what we see etc... Not that it matters with copyright ??? but do you now have carte blanche to print, publish, post or do with these in whatever way you like ?
Some of these free photo sites allow you to upload them into mini books and or photo tiles and provide one book per month free of charge, maybe a chance to allow a rare monthly prize  in the photo of the month comp ? or put the photo tiles on ebay and who knows the investment might be recouped ten fold...   For what its worth my thinking was the photo tiles and at one tile per month cover the side of the wall next to my desktop... or plan a vintage QE2 calendar , or get an outside projector and project QE2 on the front of your house  ......well the worlds your oyster with these.
Then do you allow these for the world and his wife to see , or perhaps gently tease people back to here....or allow them to be seen by only active members.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:54 PM »
If the seller has gone for the cheap option of "Signed for", then the tracking only kicks in to show when the item has actually been delivered and only provides compensation up to £40, and assuming the postperson has scanned the bar code. With this recent addition to the service it allows for ANY item larger than a large letter to have the confirmed delivery shown on the ebay tracking when its been delivered. For the ebay sellers out there this is a valuable tool for buyers who claim the item hasn't been delivered . Its a marvelous system and as yet highly undervalued.

I personally wouldn't describe the Signed For service as marvelous; speaking from direct personal experience I can say that typically 5% to 6% on average, consistently, never get signed for.  It's also no more secure than ordinary post.

Special Delivery, as you rightly point out, is fully tracked and is much better - albeit at a price.  With Special Delivery, the items have to be signed for by each and every person within Royal Mail who handles them.  So at every handover during transit, there will be a signature.

Signed for, on the other hand, is simply scanned at the point of collection and then dumped in with the regular, normal, everyday post for the transit.  In theory it then gets scanned again and signed for at the point of delivery, but there's another difference... a Special can only be signed for by the addressee.  A Signed For can be signed for by literally anyone, even the next door neighbour.  I have even seen some on the Royal Mail Track and Trace website that were signed for by "Postie", which is a total abuse of the system and renders it pointless.

One other point which is little known - even if you know for certain that a Signed For has been delivered, you - if you are the sender - can still claim the £1.10 extra fee back from the Royal Mail for signature failure - and as I said above, the signature failure rate is consistently 5% to 6%...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:05 PM »
If its the online tracking system, then the seller should have sent these by Special Delivery (which does provide full online tracking ) Special delivery provides compensation for the value of the package in this case.
 If the seller has gone for the cheap option of "Signed for", then the tracking only kicks in to show when the item has actually been delivered and only provides compensation upto £40 . and assuming the postperson has scanned the barcode. with this recent addition to the service it allows for ANY item larger than a large letter to have the confirmed delivery shown on the ebay tracking when its been delivered. For the ebay sellers out there this is a valuable tool for buyers who claim the item hasnt been delivered . its a marvelous system and as yet highly undervalued. 
Thats the harsh reality, l was offered duplicate photos from very well meaning friends on here, and l was very flattered to find some of my own photos among them.
eBay still says it hasn't been posted at all - no tracking number - and no contact from the seller.  However I have a card through a door, with a tracking number on it, telling me something is at the post office.

At the risk of telling someone how to suck eggs , this is an ideal chance to rather than post a whole load in one go to post them one at a time and allow for some discussion on what we see etc... Not that it matters with copyright ??? but do you now have carte blanche to print, publish, post or do with these in whatever way you like ?
Some of these free photo sites allow you to upload them into mini books and or photo tiles and provide one book per month free of charge, maybe a chance to allow a rare monthly prize  in the photo of the month comp ? or put the photo tiles on ebay and who knows the investment might be recouped ten fold...   For what its worth my thinking was the photo tiles and at one tile per month cover the side of the wall next to my desktop... or plan a vintage QE2 calendar , or get an outside projector and project QE2 on the front of your house  ......well the worlds your oyster with these.
Then do you allow these for the world and his wife to see , or perhaps gently tease people back to here....or allow them to be seen by only active members.

I like the idea of dribbling them onto the forum to boost discussion and interest (and visits).  I would only actually project them if I was sure the projector wouldn't damage them or deteriorate them.  I think the best bet really is to just get them scanned and then leave them preserved in their box somewhere dark, cool and dry.

The seller says we have copyright... a vintage calendar is a nice idea, but would have the same theft problem as discussed above.... decisions decisions decisions!!  Nice ones though.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2019, 11:16 AM »
The slides have arrived...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2019, 12:11 PM »
OK so at first glance, they're every bit as exciting as we thought they would be.

I attach one photo - I'm just fine-tuning my scanning settings before proceeding.  Its not easy, and need to be careful to get any wee hairs off the slides before scanning.

All images are Copyright © 2019 The QE2 Story and not to be reused without permission.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2019, 09:40 AM by Rob Lightbody »

You Tube: An Old Unseen cinefilm of QE2 1969

Started by ChrisBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 1
Views: 2082
Last post Feb 26, 2014, 06:49 PM
by June Ingram
Unseen Helicopter Footage of QE2 coming into Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 61
Views: 14706
Last post Nov 28, 2018, 11:40 PM
by Thomas Hypher