Author Topic: Unseen slides of QE2 being built, fitted out, on trials and early years.  (Read 47484 times)

Offline Waverley

Note: eBay link removed as no longer active

Just viewed this on ebay. Someone may want to bid for the slides. There could be some really wonderful photos in this collection. There are only a few examples shown but this must be a rare collection.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2021, 01:22 PM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

Offline Twynkle

Re: QE2 slides on eBay
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2019, 10:55 PM »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-BOX-OF-APPROX-275-ORIGINAL-SHIP-LINER-SLIDES-QE2-BUILDING-SEA-TRIALS-ETC/352608528541?hash=item52191b289d:g:nqwAAOSwMgJcfB-v&redirect=mobile

Just viewed this on ebay. Someone may want to bid for the slides. There could be some really wonderful photos in this collection. There are only a few examples shown but this must be a rare collection.

Hi Robert

This could be a great find... specially being as you lost your precious camera with many photos way back over 10 years ago!
I wonder if there will be a copyright issue, if we thought about getting together with the hope of buying them for the benefit everyone to enjoy here on TQS!
They could fetch a great many ££££
Trust all is well with you?
Rosie

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2019, 04:50 PM »
I have put a bid on these.

If I win, I commit to sharing high quality scans of all the slides here and for the benefit of the forum, and won't profit by them.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2019, 05:12 PM »
I have put a bid on these.

If I win, I commit to sharing high quality scans of all the slides here and for the benefit of the forum, and won't profit by them.

I would be prepared to help you increase your bid if you think that would help. Let me know.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2019, 10:22 PM »
Good idea Isabelle. I would be prepared to help too Rob. Also Rosie suggested getting together on this.
Just let me know.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2019, 06:04 AM »
Beautiful slides. Too bad i'm dirt broke!  :D
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Hi Rob,
Please can you find PM in your mail box here on TQS?
Many thanks
Rosie

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:20 PM »
I am pleased to announce that I have secured these for £177.

I intend to scan all the ones that are worth scanning, at high quality, and share with you here - however I am afraid they will have to be watermarked for the same reason as usual.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Brilliant, I am sure that there will be some interesting photos in the collection. Can't wait to see them.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:00 PM »
That is good - QE2 would be totally delighted!
Well done, Rob!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2019, 09:18 PM »
Brilliant, I am sure that there will be some interesting photos in the collection. Can't wait to see them.

All thanks to you, Waverley! Without you, we might never have known about these slides :) .

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:29 AM »

Congratulations on being the winning bidder, At least we know who two of the bidders were. I thought there might have been more bidders .
Its a shame that such things need to be watermarked on here.  It would have been a good chance to recoup some money by offering to get prints made of them. But then it does stop ruthless coping of such things.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2019, 02:48 AM »
Congratulation! Being totally ignorant of these matters....is that a good price?  64 p a slide seems great to me!
I look forward to seeing them, congrats again Rob and thanks!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2019, 08:20 AM »
Some members very kindly offered to donate funds to boost what I was willing to pay for these, to ensure we secured them for the forum.  You know who you are - thank you.

All thanks to you, Waverley! Without you, we might never have known about these slides :) .

Yes thanks so much Robert!

Congratulation! Being totally ignorant of these matters....is that a good price?  64 p a slide seems great to me!
I look forward to seeing them, congrats again Rob and thanks!

Seems OK to me!  The question is, how high would we have gone...?!

Congratulations on being the winning bidder, At least we know who two of the bidders were. I thought there might have been more bidders .
Its a shame that such things need to be watermarked on here.  It would have been a good chance to recoup some money by offering to get prints made of them. But then it does stop ruthless coping of such things.

Who was the other one you're thinking of?  I think there were 3 bidders including me.

Without Watermarking, if published online, they simply get shared on Facebook with no credit.  In fact the 2nd person who shares them, doesn't even remember where they came from.  It happens all the time, across all subject matters, and Facebook has never done a single thing about it.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2019, 05:16 PM »
  Who was the other one you're thinking of?  I think there were 3 bidders including me. 

Me... ::)

There were only 4 bidders in total. One of the others l think looks like one l  have sold to in the past.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

You Tube: An Old Unseen cinefilm of QE2 1969

Started by ChrisBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 1
Views: 2082
Last post Feb 26, 2014, 06:49 PM
by June Ingram
Unseen Helicopter Footage of QE2 coming into Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 61
Views: 14704
Last post Nov 28, 2018, 11:40 PM
by Thomas Hypher