Author Topic: QE2 Hotel Website (launch on February 4th and reactions)  (Read 14179 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: QE2 Hotel Website
« Reply #30 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:26 PM »
The fact that there is now a website is a very promising thing.  I am hoping for good news to start emerging for our beloved ship !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: The world famous QE2 ship set to open as a hotel
« Reply #31 on: Feb 05, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Thanks for posting.

"Although not confirmed by Port, Customs and Free Zone Corporation (PCFC), who are now responsible for the QE2, some sources claim that the ship will open in the first half of the year."

Sounds rather encouraging. However, I will believe it when I see it.

Until they officially announce a date, don't book a journey to Dubai!  Even if they are indeed working to a date of March 30th as Louis says, it could fall through.  There's a reason they haven't announced the date.  Its not a case of not believing anyone, its just the reality of working on a huge, expensive complicated project.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #32 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:00 PM »
I think I'm going to merge this topic with the QE2 website topic, because they're directly related.  The articles that have popped up in Dubai over the past 24 hours are all simply because the website has appeared.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #33 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:02 PM »
Just thinking about it, 10 years ago the economic downturn was going on at the time, and the hotel would have been opened in the middle of it all, say 2009-2010. Maybe it is just better that all the delays and such happened, since 10 years on I recently have heard only good new, people go on vacation more often etc.

They realised that.  That's why they stopped the conversion dead not long after she arrived, and didn't touch her, and left her engines running - they could see what was about to happen, if they started the original very expensive and dramatic conversion plan, it could have all gone horribly wrong as you suggest.

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:05 AM »
One thing that is active on the site is recruitment of staff

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2018, 12:06 PM »
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 07:13 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online cunardqueen

Re: QE2 Hotel Website (launch on February 4th and reactions)
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:22 PM »
You will forgive us Rob if some of us dont hold our breath....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Well, that was completely underwhelming!

I wonder who actually owns the rights to the first photograph? Might we even see the original appear in the monthly photo competition at some point?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:14 PM »
You will forgive us Rob if some of us dont hold our breath....

I was only quoting the headline of the article!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:29 PM »
At long last, something has formally appeared (the website) which does seem to give hope for a new life for our beloved QE2.

Let us hope that this time our beloved ship will indeed see a new life.  It does speak well for Dubai that they did not dispatch her to Alang but kept hold of her until a time when they could perhaps fulfill the dream they may have had when they purchased her.

Let's wait patiently for a bit longer with the hope that QE2 will open and who knows, maybe our next conference could be on her decks !   :)

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:15 PM »
Somebody on Facebook somewhere also posted this, but I just also checked for myself, but the domain name still seems to be registered to Carnival, it was original created in 2000, and it due to expire in augustus this year.

What sort of surprises me that Carnival never transferred the name when the QE2 was sold to Dubai, or maybe Carnival also still holds to trade mark.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:17 PM »
I noticed just today that QE2 Hotel website is being picked up by some on line news sources as a sign that she will open soon even though there is very little information available yet.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:42 PM »
Somebody on Facebook somewhere also posted this, but I just also checked for myself, but the domain name still seems to be registered to Carnival, it was original created in 2000, and it due to expire in augustus this year.

What sort of surprises me that Carnival never transferred the name when the QE2 was sold to Dubai, or maybe Carnival also still holds to trade mark.
Checked internet archive and it turns out that that domain has been held by Cunard and other people. I saw a news website and a church (?).
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Christ follower, liner lover, and Okie.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:04 AM »
Checked internet archive and it turns out that that domain has been held by Cunard and other people. I saw a news website and a church (?).

What was the church’s name?
The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

SS United States forever.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com