Author Topic: May 2018 is the latest date being heard for QE2 Hotel to open  (Read 6372 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
According to a public post on Facebook by Performance Solutions yesterday, QE2 will be open to the public in the Spring.

This is a link to the post - https://www.facebook.com/performancesolutions.eu/posts/1704290209592562

Quote from: performance solutions on Facebook
“An iconic embodiment of maritime history, the Queen Elizabeth 2 is an entertainment and heritage destination with a floating hotel. Located in the Port Rashid Marina, it offers visitors an incomparable experience uniting exceptional hospitality, dining and live entertainment opportunities with a rich historical legacy through an exhibition and tours.” As from Spring 2018.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2018, 10:31 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Trevor Harris

Re: Spring 2018 is the latest date for QE2 Hotel to open
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:40 PM »
This is good news.  :)
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

kevinh

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 03:20 PM »
Good news indeed. Although I, like many others, are still a bit bummed that she was sold to Dubai of all places and not kept in the Clyde at least (if it were me I'd have left her where John Brown & Co. once operated and launched her), I trust they are taking good care of her and I look forward to when she reopens for her new career which, according to my Cunard book, might last about as long as her first one (just don't call her Hotel QE2 or anything like that, 'cause that'd be a disgrace). :)
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018, 03:22 PM by Kevin Hicks »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:05 PM »
Good news indeed. Although I, like many others, are still a bit bummed that she was sold to Dubai of all places and not kept in the Clyde at least (if it were me I'd have left her where John Brown & Co. once operated and launched her), I trust they are taking good care of her and I look forward to when she reopens for her new career which, according to my Cunard book, might last about as long as her first one (just don't call her Hotel QE2 or anything like that, 'cause that'd be a disgrace). :)

Unfortunately she would never be able to return that far up the Clyde (Ship's built at John Browns could never return once they had left for the first time) due to the narrowness of the river etc there. She did call at Greenock many times in her active service life and had her launch gear (the attachments for the anchor type/drag chains that slowed her down in time at launch) removed in the drydock there after being completed at John Browns and just before running trials. Greenock is the closest she can ever get to her birthplace and was the place she was going to be in any Clyde bid that was mooted.

Cunard (Carnival UK) were flashed the cash by Dubai and accepted their $100 million offer for her and her brand despite a Southampton group with viable financial backing being in discussion with Cunard for a few years before. If anywhere other than Dubai she should've been in her homeport of Southampton. Cunard did a dirty on the Southampton group as they learnt she had been sold to Dubai and was to retire when the rest of us did in June 2007, never having had the chance to make an offer. Same seems to have been the case for any other UK groups, sigh!

Anyway, all that is in the past, and I look forward to her opening and subsequently being back onboard again hopefully this year (wish money grew on trees!). I am fully behind her current Dubai owners (not the same people who bought her, not directly at least) as they are giving her the TLC she deserves and is long overdue having also done a lot of hard work on her since November 2015. I wish them every success for her long term survival and am satisfied after some false starts and grim periods that she's in the best hands and will be in the best use in a static role, again making people happy and making lifelong memories.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

kevinh

« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Unfortunately she would never be able to return that far up the Clyde (Ship's built at John Browns could never return once they had left for the first time) due to the narrowness of the river etc there. She did call at Greenock many times in her active service life and had her launch gear (the attachments for the anchor type/drag chains that slowed her down in time at launch) removed in the drydock there after being completed at John Browns and just before running trials. Greenock is the closest she can ever get to her birthplace and was the place she was going to be in any Clyde bid that was mooted.

Cunard (Carnival UK) were flashed the cash by Dubai and accepted their $100 million offer for her and her brand despite a Southampton group with viable financial backing being in discussion with Cunard for a few years before. If anywhere other than Dubai she should've been in her homeport of Southampton. Cunard did a dirty on the Southampton group as they learnt she had been sold to Dubai and was to retire when the rest of us did in June 2007, never having had the chance to make an offer. Same seems to have been the case for any other UK groups, sigh!

Anyway, all that is in the past, and I look forward to her opening and subsequently being back onboard again hopefully this year (wish money grew on trees!). I am fully behind her current Dubai owners (not the same people who bought her, not directly at least) as they are giving her the TLC she deserves and is long overdue having also done a lot of hard work on her since November 2015. I wish them every success for her long term survival and am satisfied after some false starts and grim periods that she's in the best hands and will be in the best use in a static role, again making people happy and making lifelong memories.

Right, forgot from the book that Greenock was as far as she could go :-[
But you are right, if anywhere she should've been layed up in Southampton at least (I seriously hate how since she got to Dubai that "Southampton" was replaced by "Port Villa"). Like you said, though, that's all in the past;just got to focus on the now and hope for the best. :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:29 PM »

In the boring world of today, yes your post is completely correct.

However.  In 2012, I was privy to a rather lovely plan to bring QE2 all the way back to Glasgow City Centre, berthed between the Riverside museum, and the SECC.  There is a spot that is perfect for her.  As a hotel, it would have been one of the best locations in the world (Glasgow is a major events/conference hub) and unlike Dubai, QE2 would have been the centre of attention here.   Significant dredging would be required, but as it was to be a 1-way trip, its not quite as impossible as it sounds.  Initial plans were in place, and a business case was put together. 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:37 PM »

Again, you're correct.  A key point to remember forever though, is that QE2 was never for sale, which dramatically reduced the chance for people to come forward with plans and offers for her.  Cunard's *public* statements said that she still had years to run "as long as people are willing to pay to sail on her" was what they said.  Then when there was an announcement, it was a done deed and too late.  This is what has made her retirement so painful so far.

By the way, ownership of the brand QE2 isn't quite as clear as you make out... the part in the contract is carefully worded about it.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:40 PM »
In the boring world of today, yes your post is completely correct.

However.  In 2012, I was privy to a rather lovely plan to bring QE2 all the way back to Glasgow City Centre, berthed between the Riverside museum, and the SECC.  There is a spot that is perfect for her.  As a hotel, it would have been one of the best locations in the world (Glasgow is a major events/conference hub) and unlike Dubai, QE2 would have been the centre of attention here.   Significant dredging would be required, but as it was to be a 1-way trip, its not quite as impossible as it sounds.  Initial plans were in place, and a business case was put together.

That is fascinating, I never knew a ship of her size (and more importantly draft) could've got to Glasgow City Centre to be permanently docked. Shame it never happened.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:01 PM »
By the way, ownership of the brand QE2 isn't quite as clear as you make out... the part in the contract is carefully worded about it.

Would you be allowed to state the details here?

I was under the understanding (gained from others, including here on the forum) that she was bought by Istithmar World the investment arm of Dubai World (a UAE government/state company) then overseen by their own subsidiary Nakheel in cooperation with V-Ships and later Oceanic Group. Istithmar World ran into major financial difficulties along with Nakheel and she was put into long term cold layup in Dubai World's Dubai shipyard (Dubai Drydocks) right after her last drydocking to date (January 2013) to save money as much as possible as scrapping was out of the question with the 10 year clause agreed with Carnival/Cunard in the original sale contract. Dubai World (the parent company) then stepped in sometime in 2015 and moved her out of their Dubai Drydocks in November 2015, eventually to her present and now permanent location at the old cruise terminal she ironically opened in the late 1990s and visited a few times when in service. Dubai World now being her direct owners but with sub-contractors doing the refurbishment and conversion work. Cunard's clause running out this November if it hasn't already lapsed.

I was also under the understanding that her brand and any related branding (as long as it was used in an existing location on her such as her Cunard logos staying where they were) was for Dubai to do with as they wished as nothing stated otherwise in her sale contract. Same going for the onboard artwork and memorabilia Cunard didn't retain and remove in November 2008. I recall Michael stating as such in the topic "Queen Elizabeth 2 Terminal Building at Port Rashid".

No permission is required - all the artwork was sold with the ship so every model, painting etc is owned by Dubai so they are free to do whatever they want with them.

Re: Cunard lettering and logos - they are able to use the name and logo wherever it was previously used without permission.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Christ follower, liner lover, and Okie.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2018, 12:43 AM »
I do hope the ship is successful and I can visit one day.
The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

SS United States forever.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2018, 09:47 PM »
Ahh here it its i had scoured all round to find details of QE2s reopening, it was Mid December, and what a surprise to find its now not until Spring...And people wonder why we have little faith in what they say and do.

No doubt its taking longer to replace the carpets and change the bulbs than was first estimated. Well thats all we know . everyone seems to be tied up and bound and gagged in what they cannot say or do.

Interesting re the wording , wasnt the Cunard name erased from the ondeck wooden benches, and the name under the bridge.
I did hear on my holiday Cunard had to buy back various items from QE2 , but as we know we shouldnt put to much trust on what is said .   
Anyway catching up on here might take some time, so excuse me if lm a bit out of touch....

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:55 PM »
30th March 2018 is the date set for the opening of QE2 Hotel

Offline skilly56

« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:00 PM »
And I will be there for a couple of days in early July - might just go have a look!

Skilly

Offline Dan Ackermann

« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2018, 05:58 AM »
Hello All,
I am trying to find an URL for QE2 Hotel, send requests to DCP, DP World and to the appointed Manager, sad to say none have responded. Can anyone perhaps find their website? wouldn't it be prudent to have a website up and running for prebooking information and marketing at large?
merci
Daniel

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2018, 06:54 AM »
Hello All,
I am trying to find an URL for QE2 Hotel, send requests to DCP, DP World and to the appointed Manager, sad to say none have responded. Can anyone perhaps find their website? wouldn't it be prudent to have a website up and running for prebooking information and marketing at large?
merci
Daniel

The company behind it all is called PCFC Hotels.

They don't have a hotel website yet because they don't want to announce anything until they're ready.

They've made no official announcement about an opening date (or anything).
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2018, 06:57 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Queen Mary 2 my latest video on YouTube

Started by shipnshoreBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 10
Views: 4964
Last post Nov 03, 2014, 09:21 AM
by shipnshore
Cruise & Harbour News Magazine covers the QE2 Hotel and Mina Rashid development

Started by Louis De SousaBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 3
Views: 1093
Last post Mar 21, 2018, 07:09 PM
by Twynkle
Queen Elizabeth Round Britain Cruise Q821 July 2018

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 22
Views: 6388
Last post Aug 19, 2018, 03:15 AM
by June Ingram
Year end 2018 Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 610
Last post Dec 29, 2018, 04:32 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Photos of QE2 Hotel Dubai - Exteriors

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 67
Views: 7774
Last post Mar 01, 2020, 06:20 PM
by June Ingram