Author Topic: QE2 50 year event 22 September 2017, Clydebank  (Read 136469 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

QE2 50 year event 22 September 2017, Clydebank
« on: Sep 20, 2015, 05:41 PM »
Link removed

We are at the initial stages of planning a conference to celebrate 50 years since the launch of QE2 in Clydebank 1967.  We have made a provisional booking for Clydebank Town Hall on Friday 22 September 2017.  This is a lovely venue and very close to the slipway where QE2 was launched.

We know the planned date is not the date of the launch, but we wanted to hold the event on a Friday, in the hope that as many QE2 Story members as possible would join us for a week-end of celebrations. 

Make sure you get your Golden Ticket and join us in celebrating 50 years of QE2's history

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:08 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: QE2 50 year event 22 September 2017, Clydebank
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Awesome, Rob, absolutely awesome !  What a magnificent event this will be to honour our beloved QE2 !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline John Drew

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2015, 08:36 PM »
What great news, now this will be an event that I must make and catch up with some old friends or ship mates. John.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Thanks John, we will be keeping members updated through this topic and the newsletters.  Once we have more details we will post in the Get together topic.

We will be working hard to ensure this is a successful event that is a tribute to QE2.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2015, 08:50 PM »
I wonder what the news will be of QE2 when we meet !
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2015, 09:23 PM »
Sounds good and probably gives me an excuse to sample the Sleeper trains once again...  Or maybe make a long weekend out of it and add a couple of nights in the Central Hotel...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Exciting news, and something to look forward to!

Great to receive the news from the very place where it all happened -- and I am sure that the Titan Crane will be on the programme for the week-end.

A date for our future diaries :) . This is bound to be an unforgettable event.
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2015, 10:21 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2015, 01:47 PM »
How soon will QM2's Atlantic crossing schedule come out ?  The reason being, it would be awesome to take QM2 eastbound to Southampton and then train to Clydebank or as near by as possible.   :)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2015, 02:17 PM »
How soon will QM2's Atlantic crossing schedule come out ?  The reason being, it would be awesome to take QM2 eastbound to Southampton and then train to Clydebank or as near by as possible.   :)

June that would be a fantastic experience to travel on QM2 the make your way North for the event and it would be even more special if other forum members from USA were to think about doing the same journey. 

I am not sure when the September 2017 Transatlantic crossings will be available.  The Cunard 2017 World Cruise information is online, which means you can book up to May 2017 but not beyond at this moment in time.  But I would think the schedule would be available by early next year. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2015, 02:23 PM »
Hi Lynda -

Thanks very much for your message and information about QM2's schedule. 

The voyage and subsequent travel to Clydebank would most likely be a once in a lifetime experience and would make an awesome holiday, not only evoking travel on QE2 but also taking "the boat train". 

Perhaps others might be interested in doing the same and if so, we could arrange a QE2 Story group to journey together.  It is certainly something to think about. 

June   :)

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2015, 03:14 PM »
Sounds good and probably gives me an excuse to sample the Sleeper trains once again...  Or maybe make a long weekend out of it and add a couple of nights in the Central Hotel...

Peter, The sleeper trains are still the same clapped out wrecks, and given the fact of the new operators there is a mixture of branding, long gone are the days of the little goodnight packs with essentials now you have a bar of superbly engraved  Sleeper soap, ear plugs! and a green eye mask, those in First have the added luxury of a pillow spray, to either promote a good nights sleep or spray it round the cabin to mask the smells...
However some comfort can be taken that the new liveried uniforms the staff are wearing were a £1000 each and your lounge in Inverness is now across the street. The old lounge beside the ticket office where it used to be is now used for storage (and that includes storing the meals and snacks used for that evenings run, they would have been loaded up in London the previous night..) but we are not supposed to know of such things.
However all is not doom and gloom, the onboard food and drink prices in my view do represent astounding value.

And the Central Hotel given the last time l stayed there, l hope, can have only improved...

For what its worth, l do relish my journeys on the Caledonia Sleeper, the dream of sipping a Martini in the bar car, a lovely late night snack in comfortable surroundings, awaking to the glorious scenery in London/Inverness with a cooked breakfast . It is replaced with the cold hard facts a luke warm can of Stella (they might ask you also want a glass !) a soggy microwaved to death meal, retiring to the sleeping berth to be gently rocked to sleep and then at some ungodly hour , the tat tat on the door as you are presented with a brown bag containing luke warm water, dip your own t bag,brown sugar sachet and a pastry of some unrecognisable description, and if all the above wasnt enough to bring you to reality, you step down from the sleeper with the horror of all horrors bed hair !!!!!  ??? ???     (But l do still love the Sleeper ! )

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Ha ha - Myles, I think the way you use the Sleeper is slightly different from me: I tend to go straight to the cabin as soon as boarding opens, get my head down asap have the steward wake me up about 30 minutes before arrival so I have time to properly waken and shave...  I tend to breakfast at hotels nearby after arrival rather than on board as I am partial to a nice unhealthy fry up for breakfast when I am travelling.  I also never have problems getting to sleep on board - must be something to do with the motion even though it is rather different from the motion experienced on board QE2...

I've not stayed in the Central since it was refurbished* ( although I did take breakfast there off the Sleeper a year ago on the Glasgow morning of my big charity challenge** ) and from my point of view as a railway enthusiast, it couldn't be more convenient for the station could it...? :)

Anyway.... as you may have guessed I'd be likely to combine the QE2 Forum event with a bit of railway stuff...

*Personally I do prefer the older style decors ( deep Regency style colours, dark wood panelling, grand dining rooms and entrance lobbies, that sort of thing ) in hotels rather than the modern ones so i'm not sure what I'm going to make of the Central these days...

**All six UK Sleeper destinations from London - on consecutive nights.  Achieved. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline MiamiCunarder

« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2015, 11:49 PM »

Definitely a date to save and consider.  ;)

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2015, 06:24 AM »
The 2017 programme will be out in April 2016.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2015, 08:08 AM »

That looks superb Lynda - I am looking forward to our first committee meeting next week - getting the ball rolling for this event.

Gav
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:10 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Captain N Bates (18 September 2004)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 3065
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:23 AM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 50 Year Conference Website

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story QE2 50 year conference 22 September 2017

Replies: 0
Views: 1215
Last post Oct 20, 2016, 10:11 PM
by Lynda Bradford
Buckingham Covers: QE2 50 Year First Day Cover

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard TheQE2Story's Shop

Replies: 10
Views: 2309
Last post Nov 04, 2017, 11:03 AM
by Lynda Bradford
May 4th 2019 - 50 Years since QE2 Maiden Voyage event

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 60
Views: 35893
Last post Jul 15, 2019, 10:19 PM
by cunardqueen
Pete Cain's final cruise on Saga Ruby (August / September 2013)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Saga Ruby

Replies: 111
Views: 43666
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 11:31 PM
by Andy Holloway