Author Topic: Members comments and contributions to QE2 Captains topic  (Read 34540 times)

Offline Rod

Re: Members comments and contributions to QE2 Captains topic
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I believe that he has not been well for some time.
My thoughts still go out to Janet, his wife, and his family.

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #46 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Sad news to hear that "Commander Carr" is no longer with us.

I sailed on QE2 and Countess with him, he was the only officer on Countess ever to invite me to the Wardie. One of his party pieces was mimicking a phone ringtone, which always sent people reaching for the nearest phone.

RIP.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2015, 10:34 PM »
I had the great pleasure to Dine at the Staff Captains table on the historic west bound trip in April 1987 and the hosts were David Carr and Roland Hassle on alternate nights.
David was a source of great humour and stories, and for me a then teenager it was a great honour to be in such distinguished company. Aside from the added mishaps of that crossing the memories of that table in the Mauretania and the great hosts will always remain.
As it happened two of the guests including myself had sailed before and the other 3 were on their first crossing.
I did hear from one of his friends a number of years ago that he was  suffering from a degenerative illness, and was being looked after.
Rest in Peace...
His laugh will always linger on.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #48 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:15 PM »
Three Queens Liverpool 2015: Merseyside QE2 captain Robin Woodall remembered

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/three-queens-liverpool-2015-robin-8735720#ICID=sharebar_twitter   
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #49 on: Mar 23, 2015, 06:17 PM »
We received a lovely email in the Admin in box from Antony Graham who had sailed with many of QE2 Captains before they were master of QE2.  We were pleased to received these snippets of information, which will be added to the Captain's topics. 

In 1947, Larry Portet was 3rd officer of the Cunard managed Liberty ship Sambre when I was an apprentice.  We were friends and we went together to stay with his relations in up-country Virginia.  In 1948, Bob Arnott was 2nd Officer of the Cunard cargo ship Vasconia when I was 3rd Officer.  A really Good Man!  I think I get a mention in his book.  My next ship was RMS Scythia where Bill Law came as Chief Officer, very much war time RNR, who told me to wear my only medal ribbon, Company's Regulations!  Mortimer Hehir, a great and vivid character, was Senior First Officer of Georgic in 1949 when I was Senior Third.  We took 3rd Marine Commando Brigade to Hong Kong to protect it from Mao whose civil war was still raging.  The Captain, Reggie Sell, had for some reason a down on him, but he prospered nevertheless.  I was then in another cargo ship, the Valacia, where Larry Portet was 2nd Officer and I was 3rd.  So I knew him quite well.   The bearded Captain Warwick was a well known Cunard character, though I never sailed with him.  He was master of Franconia when she went aground in the St.Lawrence river, but that of course was the pilot's fault!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline cameroa

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2015, 08:24 AM »
His obituary from the Daily Telegraph dated 19 January 2009 :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/4292123/Captain-Peter-Jackson.html

Quote from: Daily Telegraph, 19 January 2009
Peter Jackson, Master of QE2 during Falklands War, with the Queen Mother
Jackson was on leave when he heard that his ship had been requisitioned to carry troops to the South Atlantic. He returned on board to find his cabin full of generals and admirals, but he soon took charge with the same tact and skill which he deployed on his wealthy, and sometimes difficult, peacetime passengers.
Over the next eight days Jackson oversaw QE2's conversion in Southampton from transatlantic liner to troop carrier.

Quote from: Daily Telegraph, 19 January 2009
Jackson loved music and played the piano to a high standard. He was pleased to meet and befriend many of the great entertainers of the age on Atlantic crossings. Once, after meeting Jackson going into a concert hall in Southampton, Mstislav Rostropovich altered the music programme to include a selection of nautical music "to honour my friend Captain Peter".

It is well worth reading the article as a whole, at the above link!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:16 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline ship pro

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2015, 01:06 PM »
It was a pleasure sailing with Peter and we had many a chat on the Falklands trip.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2015, 04:31 PM »
It was a pleasure sailing with Peter and we had many a chat on the Falklands trip.
Hi!
There is a superb book 'Four Weeks in May' written by David Hart Dyke, he was Captain of HMS Coventry, and makes reference to the journey back north following the sinking of their ship.
It's available in paperback on Amazon.

Offline Rod

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2015, 11:19 PM »
Captain Jackson, was, without a doubt, one of the finest Masters I ever sailed with. If one ever wondered where the term "An Officer and Gentleman" came from, it was probably based around him. Small in stature but great in heart. He had a great deal of time for everyone.
One did get the impression sometimes, that he would liked to have been the Master of a freighter. But he took on the role of "Captain of the Queen"
(sorry Bob Arnott) with dignity and pride. He loved the QE2 and all of its people.
I had quite a few one on one meetings with him both in his cabin and once or twice in mine! We felt we could be honest with each other and we were..
He left, I left. but I managed to meet up with him via his publicist, who forwarded an e-mail to him. It was replied to with 24 hours! He remembered me and asked all about me, remembered some of my antics on the ship and even asked if I was producing a Wardroom Show in Florida! He once wrote a very amusing script for me which I used in a Wardroom show.
He was also a very good seaman.
Much loved man!

Offline neil parrott

« Reply #54 on: Sep 04, 2015, 11:32 PM »
Can any one name all the captains sitting with the queen.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #55 on: Sep 06, 2015, 11:05 PM »
Back left to right..Messers Captains Stanley,Arnott,Woodall,Bates,????, Portet, Jackson and Hasell
Front Left to Right Captains Burton-Hall, McNaught, Her Majesty, Perkins and Commodore Warwick

Had the great pleasure to sail with six of them as Captains and one as a passenger 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #56 on: Sep 07, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Fifth from left, back row: Ray Heath.

Thus, the definitive line up in the photo, according to Getty Images, is:

Rear Left to Right: Captains: Keith Stanley, Bob Arnott, Robin Woodall, Nick Bates, Ray Heath, Laurence Portet, Peter Jackson and Roland Hasell.
Front Left to Right: Commodore John Burton-Hall, Captain Ian McNaught, Her Majesty, Captain David Perkins and Commodore Ron Warwick.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2015, 06:16 PM by Boris »

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #57 on: Sep 07, 2015, 05:59 PM »
Lynda, I know this is off topic, but I can't seem to post it into the correct board. Can you oblige?

"CAPTAIN Ray Heath, master of Southampton's luxury liner Queen Elizabeth 2, has retired after 45 years at sea with Cunard.
One of the shipping line's most experienced and respected senior officers, Captain Heath has worked on many of the company's vessels and has been in command of QE2 for the last 12 months, where he was the liner's 21st captain in her long career of 35 years.
After joining as a Cunard apprentice, 61-year-old Captain Heath, who comes from Manchester but now has a home in America, spent the first ten years on cargo ships before transferring to passenger vessels.
He served on Carmania on two previous occasions on QE2, Cunard Ambassador, Cunard Adventurer, Cunard Countess and Cunard Princess before his first command on the former Sea Goddess II.
A total of five previous QE2 masters attended a farewell party for Captain Heath in the Yacht Club on board QE2 before the liner left on a cruise to Norway.
"I will miss all my colleagues and it has been a most wonderful career but I have a young family and I am looking forward to spending more time with them and I know they will keep me busy in my retirement,'' said Captain Heath."
From the Southern Daily Echo - This is Southampton

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #58 on: Sep 07, 2015, 06:55 PM »
When researching Captain Peter Jackson's career, I noticed that the date, in the Cunard publication that he first assumed command of the ship was 6 August 1973.  Yesterday I came across two further pieces of information. 
1.  He was Staff Captain on QE2's Maiden World Cruise in 1975
2.  He was appointed Master of Cunard Countess in 1976

As an aside, he was also Captain of Cunard Princess in mid-1977.

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #59 on: Sep 07, 2015, 07:05 PM »
David was a source of great humour and stories, and for me a then teenager it was a great honour to be in such distinguished company ...
I did hear from one of his friends a number of years ago that he was  suffering from a degenerative illness, and was being looked after.
Rest in Peace...
His laugh will always linger on.

David developed a brain tumour  in 2009. It was removed, but affected his balance and he moved into a care home. He unfortunately passed away on 13 January 2015, aged 72 years.

RIP David.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2016, 02:26 PM by Boris »

Forum members links to QE2 photos from around the web

Started by Andy FBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 260
Views: 113964
Last post Jun 25, 2022, 11:45 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Queen Victoria - Meet fellow members on board a future cruise.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 7
Views: 4167
Last post Mar 27, 2011, 09:49 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Crew members - Names on the forum

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 1
Views: 8983
Last post May 02, 2023, 10:04 PM
by Ian Bradshaw
'Collided with Life's Harbour Wall' - Remembering Members no longer with us.

Started by TwynkleBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1341
Last post Apr 28, 2018, 10:16 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Forum Members Zoom Chat - 30th April 2020

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 11
Views: 899
Last post May 06, 2020, 08:01 PM
by Rob Lightbody