Author Topic: Members comments and contributions to QE2 Captains topic  (Read 34538 times)

Offline skilly56

Re: Members comments and contributions to QE2 Captains topic
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2013, 02:01 AM »
Further to Rod's note about Robert (Bob) Arnott, some years back I was dawdling through a second hand bookshop in Auckland and discovered a book entitled "Captain of The Queen", (Quadrant Books, 1984, ISBN 0 946894078) by Captain Robert Harry Arnott from Australia. As well as covering his early years at sea, it also covers the period from October 1976 until 1985, during which time Bob was captain of the QE2. He was still on the QE2 when the book was first printed, so does not cover his full time on the ship.

Arnott served on numerous Cunarders, including the original Queen Elizabeth. He must have kept copious notes during his time at sea as the detail in the book is comprehensive - a good read, with many humorous incidents related! If you can find a copy, it is worth the effort.

Looking back, I now envy those people who had the foresight to keep diaries. I went to sea in 1969, and have been involved in or experienced a number of memorable moments. The problem is I am now having trouble remembering most of the details of these events. At gatherings (normally funerals, unfortunately) with old shipmates, I sometimes discover that I have forgotten some events completely, until reminded by an even older salt who has a better recall than I.
Cheers
Skilly
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 02:26 AM by skilly56 »

Offline CAP

« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2013, 07:40 AM »
Lynda:
Captain Law was the master of QE in late May, 1968, on my eastbound crossing and, on my return westbound on QM in July, Captain Marr was the master. My grandfather knew them both very well and I got to meet them on both voyages.
Tom G.

In my earlier post regarding Law captaining three Queens the one command I really wanted further information on was QE so I really appreciate the personal confirmation and the result that Captain Law was probably the first to Captain three different Cunard Queens.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Thanks Cabin 2066, your information is really helpful. Any other information on Captains on these earlier voyages would be really helpful.

Skilly I know what you mean about wishing you kept more records as what you remember can at times be different from the reality.  The Cunard ship's programmes and information from World Cruise books has provided a lot of information, so if anyone has a collection of these that have information on Captains I would love to hear from you.

I know about Captain Arnott's book and agree that it was a really good read.  Particularly good was the early part of his career in the Merchant Navy which highlighted the dangers that WWII Merchant Seamen experienced dodging enemy attacks. Rob had featured this book in the Books about QE2 section.   
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3892.0.html

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 09:08 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2013, 08:51 PM »
As other Captains have too - Captain Wright has certainly been the master of three of Cunards Queens!
I believe that now the rotation system now ensures that most, if not all, senior officers are required to change ship on a regular basis.

Captain Bob Arnott was very much hoping to take charge of Saga Ruby on one of her final voyages this year, i'm unsure as to whether his hopes were realised.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2013, 09:19 PM »
I have a questions that I hope some of our members can contribute to:

My research has identified the progress through the ranks made before achieving the honour of being Master of a ship.   

When researching Captain Peter Jackson's career, I noticed that the date, in the Cunard publication that he first assumed command of the ship was 6 August 1973.  Yesterday I came across two further pieces of information. 
1.  He was Staff Captain on QE2's Maiden World Cruise in 1975
2.  He was appointed Master of Cunard Countess in 1976

This leads me to ask the question is it likely that Captain Jackson was a relief Captain of QE2 in 1973 given that Captain Law and Captain Hehir were also noted in Cunard's publication as Masters of QE2 around 1973?  Being listed as Captain in 1973 and Staff Captain in 1975 seems like a backward step, or is it a case of taking on the role you are given until you become Master of your own ship. 

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013, 09:33 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline skilly56

« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2013, 05:31 AM »
Taking the 'Backward Step' as you put it is one of those things that happen from time to time.
Sometimes when changing ship the person who may have been captain on one vessel needs to temporarily serve time in a lower position when they change to a different vessel they have not served on before. Also, this filling of a lower position may come about due to the way a particular company has the duty rosters set up, and bringing in a new relieving master between two regular masters can take some time.
This often also occurs in the deck and engineer officers positions as well, especially when personnel need to be covered while away for refresher courses, STCW update courses, simulator training, medical leave, study leave for higher CoCs, etc.

It also shows the wisdom of companies always employing officers who are qualified to fill a higher position than they are filling on the ship. If someone (say a 1st engineer) is suddenly taken ill or has to race off home for compassionate leave, then the senior 2nd engineer (providing he/she holds a 1st Engineer's Certificate of Competency) can just move up a slot as he/she will know the vessels's intricacies (and he/she can enjoy the extra remuneration and the bigger cabin as well). The company then only have to find another 2nd engineer to fill the vacant position.

Skilly

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2013, 01:44 PM »
Hey, Lynda. Brilliant work. One add you might consider is for Bill Warwick's guest spot on Desert Island Discs back in '67 whilst he was Master Designate, standing by QE2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/21a4be57#p009y2k4

Note: profile updated
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2013, 02:13 PM by Lynda Bradford »
Full Away on Passage.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Thanks Neil for this useful piece of information and the link to the BBC page. What a pity the programme is not available to listen to as it would be good to know his choice of music. 

I have updated Bil Warwick's profile.

www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2013, 03:02 PM »
The wealth of information on this forum is amazing as is the time and effort people are prepared to put in!!

Just shows you how loved QE2 was and still is.

G

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Sep 26, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I will be adding more Captain Profile information when I return from cruising  ;D

In the meantime please keep posting and suggesting any profile information. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Mermaid

« Reply #25 on: Sep 26, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Interesting to read of WJ Law and Queen Elizabeth.  I have just been sifting through some information regarding date of commands and I have information that has Captain Law as possibly the first Captain of three Cunard Queens. 

The reason I think this is worthy of note is that when Queen Victoria arrived on the scene Captain Paul Wright was given the command as at some points previously he had been in charge of both QE2 and QM2, he was given the title honour.

Warwick (the elder one) sailed as Captain on the QM, QE and QE2.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #26 on: Sep 27, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Hello Mermaid, thanks for the information

I had a note on Captain Bil Warwick's profile that he had served as a relief Master on both Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth with a date for him serving on Queen Mary (15 September 1965). If you (or any other members) have any dates or the year(s) for his service on Queen Elizabeth that would be fabulous.
www.qe2event.com

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:27 AM »
I have a recollection of Captain Ridley being awarded the honorary title of 'Aide de Camp' in around 1979/80 but have not been able to find any evidence to support this. Does anyone know if my memory of this is accurate?
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Rod

« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Alan, I think you may well be right!   Think it was ADC to the Queen if I remember correctly.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:46 PM »
Thanks for the information.  An initial search on ADC to the Queen on Wikipedia indicates that it is members of the Royal Family who are Personal Aide de Camp to the Queen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Aide-de-Camp

Then there is further information on Royal Navy Aide de Camp but so far I cannot see Captain Ridley's name. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aide-de-camp

Any other information appreciated
www.qe2event.com

Forum members links to QE2 photos from around the web

Started by Andy FBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 260
Views: 113964
Last post Jun 25, 2022, 11:45 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Queen Victoria - Meet fellow members on board a future cruise.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 7
Views: 4167
Last post Mar 27, 2011, 09:49 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Crew members - Names on the forum

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 1
Views: 8983
Last post May 02, 2023, 10:04 PM
by Ian Bradshaw
'Collided with Life's Harbour Wall' - Remembering Members no longer with us.

Started by TwynkleBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1341
Last post Apr 28, 2018, 10:16 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Forum Members Zoom Chat - 30th April 2020

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 11
Views: 899
Last post May 06, 2020, 08:01 PM
by Rob Lightbody