Author Topic: Members comments and contributions to QE2 Captains topic  (Read 34541 times)

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Re: Members comments and contributions to QE2 Captains topic
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Hi Lynda,

It looks as though you have gone along the same routes that I had and came up with no evidence either. I wonder if there are any Cunard records that might be able to verify the title.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Captain Ridley did hold a Commission in the RNR. The Navy Lists of the time may have the information.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Thanks for the information.  An initial search on ADC to the Queen on Wikipedia indicates that it is members of the Royal Family who are Personal Aide de Camp to the Queen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Aide-de-Camp

Then there is further information on Royal Navy Aide de Camp but so far I cannot see Captain Ridley's name. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aide-de-camp

Any other information appreciated

Commodore Douglas Ridley (1926 - 2002) was a volunteer with the Royal Navy Reserve.
He joined Cunard when 26 yrs old, and stayed for 36 years.

This link may be of interest!
http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=2c57d704-b705-402d-933e-45f879320001&sponsor=

Just for the record (!), anyone can become an ADC to the Sovereign - not always a member of the Royal Family!
The office of ADC is usually held by a serving officer of any one of the three armed services, and they can be old, young or in between. The role can be carried out in public, and although not as personal as for example, a Lady in Waiting - it usually involves being involved with the arrangements before an event, as well as  'being in attendance', in uniform at the event!
Ref.  http://www.royal.gov.uk/thecurrentroyalfamily/theprinceofwales/honours.aspx
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2013, 10:14 PM by Twynkle »

Offline CAP

« Reply #33 on: Apr 10, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Captain Arnott retired on 31/7/1985 ending a 45 year career at sea and nine as master of QE2

Additionally, I have stumbled across a Cunard article regarding the "This is Your Life" episode.

Apparently the programme was given the go-ahead about 12 months beforehand.  The producers did not want to film the epsiode whilst the ship was alongside in Southampton, the preference was to do it whilst at sea.  This obviously presented a number of challenges not least getting familiar people onboard and unnoticed.  The actual filming took place as QE2 left Cherbourg bound for Southampton and had disembarked the pilot.  There were a number of technical challenges including the different phasing of the TV production equipment and the ships power systems, radio interference was also an issue at the time of the broadcast.  The latter was readily fixed by cancelling all ship to shore radio broadcasts.  A smokescreen in the form of a "aired from sea cabaret" was devised which also provided the opportunity to get the Captain on stage!  Guests were boarded at Cherbourg and were given full disguises by the television company. This feat was aided by the French Authorities who had to process those involved using their different names and disguises.  For legal reasons it was necessary to produce a full passenger manifest at the time of departure, the relevant ship's company were sworn to strictest confidence.  One of those boarding was of course the Captain's wife, known to many of the ship's personnel.  According to my information this was a Thames TV production.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2014, 06:48 PM by CAP »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #34 on: Apr 10, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Thanks Chris for posting this story, which gives an insight of the planning to get the guests onboard without Captain Arnott knowing what was going on. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #35 on: Apr 10, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Yes, thank you, Chris for telling how this was done.  Most interesting !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline CAP

« Reply #36 on: Apr 13, 2014, 08:08 AM »
Commodore Ridley was promoted to the senior role on 27 May 1985.  Prior to this he held the position of Vice President/General Manager of QE2, a first for the ship.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #37 on: Apr 14, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Thanks Chris for the information on Captain Arnott and Commodore Ridley.  Do you have a source that I can quote for the Commodore Ridley information?

I have updated Commodore Ridley's Profile with the information   https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=5623.msg56589#msg56589

and also Captain Arnott's profile
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,5625.0.html
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2014, 03:59 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline CAP

« Reply #38 on: Apr 14, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Lynda,  Both updates to the Captains' records maybe sourced back to the "Cunarder - Journal of The Cunard Shipping Companies", Winter 1985 edition.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2014, 05:20 PM by CAP »

Offline CAP

« Reply #39 on: Apr 15, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Laurence Portet was appointed master of QE2 on 1/8/85 following the retirement of Captain Arnott
(BTW same source)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #40 on: Apr 15, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Laurence Portet was appointed master of QE2 on 1/8/85 following the retirement of Captain Arnott
(BTW same source)

Thanks again for this information.  I have updated the profile. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2014, 03:54 PM »
This really is a great idea to have, thanks for working hard on this topic Lynda.  :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline holynougat

« Reply #42 on: Aug 16, 2014, 02:23 AM »
Shocking to see what happened to Peter Russel... obviously after the QE2 days though, thank goodness.

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:52 AM »
It is with great sadness that I have just read that Staff Captain David Carr passed away two days ago.
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:15 PM »
Hi Graham -

That is indeed very sad news, but thank you for letting us know about Staff Captain Carr's passing.  Would you have a link to an obituary by any chance ?

Thanks,

June

QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Forum members links to QE2 photos from around the web

Started by Andy FBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 260
Views: 113964
Last post Jun 25, 2022, 11:45 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Queen Victoria - Meet fellow members on board a future cruise.

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 7
Views: 4167
Last post Mar 27, 2011, 09:49 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Crew members - Names on the forum

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 1
Views: 8983
Last post May 02, 2023, 10:04 PM
by Ian Bradshaw
'Collided with Life's Harbour Wall' - Remembering Members no longer with us.

Started by TwynkleBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1341
Last post Apr 28, 2018, 10:16 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Forum Members Zoom Chat - 30th April 2020

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 11
Views: 899
Last post May 06, 2020, 08:01 PM
by Rob Lightbody