Author Topic: August Photo Competition - QE2: 50 Years Unique  (Read 8186 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

August Photo Competition - QE2: 50 Years Unique
« on: Aug 03, 2017, 10:42 AM »
QE2: 50 Years Unique

With less than 50 days and counting until The QE2 conference to celebrate QE2’s 50th anniversary of her launch at John Brown’s shipyard, Clydebank, the excitement is certainly rising for the event committee and for the lucky people who will be attending.

We thought it appropriate that this month’s theme should be something that everyone can contribute photo entries and be part of the celebrations. 

The Cunard Press Release in April 1967, for the Q4 stated that “She was not a gimmick ship - gimmicks date but good design doesn't - and this ship is designed to keep ‘new’ for her working life. “

It was QE2’s design that gave many people photo opportunities, whether they were passengers or admirers. 

This month’s theme “QE2: 50 years unique” is very much open to interpretation as to why QE2 was unique to you.

QE2's 50th anniversary deserves a special target of  at least 50 photos to be submitted and 50 voters. Please celebrate,  enter your three favourite photos and help us reach our target. 

The prize this months is a copy of Chris Frame and Rachelle Cross’s new book "QE2: A 50th Anniversary Celebration" which has been donated by the publisher.  The book is available from 14 August and if you follow the link from The QE2 Story shop you can pre-order from Amazon.

The album is open -  so now is the time to look for your most interesting pictures on this theme. Wishing you happy memories as you search your photo collection to find up to three pictures to upload to the competition album.

This link will take you straight there : QE2: 50 Years Unique.

If you have not uploaded photos to the Forum Gallery before, have a look at these instructions, and if you have any problems, just contact us on admin@theqe2story.com. You could even email the photos to this address, and we can upload them for you.

The deadline for submitting photos is 31 August 2017. Voting will run from 1 September 2017 until 30 September 2017.

Enjoy the celebration :) We look forward to seeing your photos in this month's competition and maybe your photo will make it into the 2018 Calendar. 

Good Luck

Lynda Bradford
on behalf of the QE2 Story Team
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2017, 10:37 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: August - QE2: 50 Years Unique
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Congratulations, Lynda! That is quite a coup, getting the publishers to donate a copy of the brand new QE2 anniversary book by Chris and Rachelle!

A fitting tribute to QE2 as we prepare to celebrate her jubilee.

50 pictures will be the minimum, as we hope she will continue to shine with her beautiful uniqueness in future too :) .

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2017, 02:17 PM »
Thank you, Lynda, for setting up all the details of this very special photo competition.  The aim of 50 photos and 50 voters and the new anniversary book by Chris and Rachelle are very special leading up to the 50th Anniversary Conference honoring our forever beloved QE2 ! 

She will be "new" forever in time as there has never been and there will never be a ship such as QE2 !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2017, 08:30 PM »

Unique meaning:  being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else. How true of QE2!

I have entered my three photos that to me demonstrate how QE2 to me was one of a kind.   It was difficult to make a choice of which three to upload. 

Looking forward to seeing lot's of entries for this month's competition.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2017, 09:18 AM »
The first pictures are awesome! I'll have to ask my mom if she has a picture of the QE2 entering New York Harbor. She's from Brooklyn, NY. So she might have a picture.

Update: I just went through a album from 1976 and Christmas 1984. No qe2. Only ship I found was the USS Intrepid..

Thanks Trevor - what a pity there is not a QE2 picture in the album.  Let's hope we reach our target of 50 photos for the competition. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2017, 04:24 PM »
Thanks Trevor - what a pity there is not a QE2 picture in the album.  Let's hope we reach our target of 50 photos for the competition.

I'll ask if we have more albums.. would be awesome to see a 70's or early 80's pic of QE2.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: August Photo Competition - QE2: 50 Years Unique
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Thanks to Hugh Ritchie for posting his QE2 unique photos.  We now have four entries - just 46 to go to meet our target. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2017, 07:55 PM »
We needs lots more photos, to celebrate QE2's 50th anniversary, with the photo competition theme "QE2 50 Years Unique"

It is easy to upload photos but if you need help have a look at the instructions or email the moderator team at admin@theqe2story.com

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=167
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Looking for inspiration for this months photo comp, came across this, the twin (almost) to Hugh Ritchies goes to show we were always looking for a good shot of QE2.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Thanks for adding your photos to the competition album, Pete.  All excellent photos of the unique QE2. 

Pete, would you like to change your Avatar to join us in celebrating QE2's 50 years?
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,7743.msg86917.html#msg86917

We now only need 43 photos to meet this month's target  :)
www.qe2event.com

Offline Hugh Ritchie

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2017, 08:41 PM »
I wonder where QE2 was when that photo similar to mine was taken? Mine was taken in Trieste in July 2008.

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Pete, I think all of us who took photos of QE2 while we were sailing on her probably all have very similar pictures.
I have several just like yours taken in various ports where it was possible to walk round the quayside to the bow.

When disembarking at a port, the same folks would be going to more or less the same vantage points to take the same pictures!

This is what makes entering the photo competition quite difficult sometimes. I think of a photo that I could enter only to find someone has entered an almost identical one already! In fact some are so similar that I was probably standing beside the person that took it at the time - If I only knew them at the time!!!

However, it also means that between all of the member of the Forum, we have a lot of fantastic memories and brilliant photographs. Each one special to ourselves, although some of the ones I take, I look at later only to ask myself "why"?!!

I'm having a good think about this month's special competition. I might need to start digging out some of the older photo albums and dust off the scanner.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2017, 11:03 AM »
Hugh it is indeed Trieste May 2008, Pete you are absolutely correct I bet there are zillions of similar photos out there, my regret is that I didn't meet QE2 until 2005, always thought she was expensive (how wrong was I).....

Offline Hugh Ritchie

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2017, 10:41 PM »
*Hugh* Ritchie, please!
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2017, 11:37 PM by Hugh Ritchie »

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #14 on: Aug 11, 2017, 02:27 PM »
Mine has been added only one for now....

August 2016 -- QE2 viewed from high places (closed)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 2
Views: 2207
Last post Aug 30, 2016, 09:38 AM
by Lynda Bradford
August 2023 photos

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 0
Views: 482
Last post Aug 25, 2023, 10:47 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Waverley on the Clyde - August 2017

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 16
Views: 3001
Last post Jan 11, 2018, 03:29 PM
by Brandon Sterkel
Chatting about QE2's Hotel Conversion, August 2017

Started by MalcolmBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 26
Views: 3208
Last post Sep 10, 2017, 06:01 PM
by Brandon Sterkel
The QE2 Story Newsletter August 2011

Started by Andrew CollierBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 2260
Last post Sep 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
by Andrew Collier