Author Topic: Safety features on board QE2  (Read 21409 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Safety features on board QE2
« on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Louis has done a wonderful thing, going carefully through my photos and picking out the safety features of QE2 wherever he found them. I shall be posting his comments here, bit by bit, with many thanks to him.

The photos I shall attach here will be small. Please click into them to see Louis's notes and comments on the Flickr pages.

If you move your cursor across the pictures, little squares will appear, containing the notes.

We shall probably need to ask him more questions to work out how things function -- these are very welcome!

Muster station signs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:59 PM »

Two Deck by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Louis points out in his notes that there are two signs in this picture : The big muster station sign at the top, and a smaller one at floor level, just in case of smoke or other hindrances. Both of them point to the same muster station.

Passengers are required to assemble at their assigned muster station, from where they will be taken to the relevant lifeboats if necessary.

Please click into the picture to see Louis's more detailed notes.

Muster station pathways
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:02 PM »

Three Deck again by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

The reflective neon strips along the alleyways are visible in the dark, allowing passengers to find their way to the muster stations in case of blackout.

Please click into the picture to see Louis's more detailed note there.

Re: Muster station pathways
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:05 PM »

Mini corridor by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Emerging from a side corridor, another muster station sign indicating you have to turn right for your assigned place.

Please click into the picture to see Louis's more detailed note there.

I never realised it was so easy to find your muster station in an emergency... just remember the letter and follow the arrows.

Re: Ladders to the lifeboats
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:08 PM »

Boat Deck by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Part of the railings turn into ladders which first the responsible crew, and then the passengers will use to embark the lifeboats.

Please click into the photo to view Louis's more detailed note.

I wish I could go back now and understand the mechanism on the spot!

Lever to lower or raise the lifeboats
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:10 PM »

Red machinery by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

One of those beautiful red bits of machinery.

Please click into the photo to see Louis's more detailed note.

Liferaft Stations
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:13 PM »

Off the fog banks of Newfoundland by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Liferaft Stations 1 and 2 can be seen by clicking into the picture and following Louis's notes.

Louis, please tell us what is a liferaft station and who uses them?

Liferaft Stations
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:16 PM »

Lots of liferafts by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Liferaft Station 3 here.

While Pia enjoyed sitting here on day (and broke a champagne glass while falling off her seat!), Louis remembers that crew members will get logged if caught sitting on them.

Please click into the photo for Louis's more detailed note.
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2012, 11:12 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Re: Liferaft Stations
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:19 PM »

Gazing by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Liferaft Stations 6 here since 1992, serving the crew living in the aft of the ship.

Please click into the photo for Louis's more detailed note.

Lowering the lifeboats
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:37 PM »

Upwards by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

This photo shows windows that can convert to doors, allowing passengers to embark the lifeboats from the Upper Deck public rooms without having to go up to the Boat Deck first.

Louis has also marked hooks to which the lifeboats can be attached in case the ship tilts during the evacuation.

Please click into the photo to see Louis's detailed notes.

Crew responsible for the lifeboats
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:41 PM »

Safety exercise by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

This is what Louis wrote :

This is the so called Boat Preparation Party.One part of the party will be out straight away to put lifeboats from the davits down to the Boat Crew.The rest will wait on Boat Deck and wait for further instructions.When orders are given they will board the lifeboats and wait for the passengers, the passengers will be guide here by the Direct Passenger Party.Please note that some passengers embark the lifeboats on Boat Deck, others embark on Upper Deck

More details can be seen if you click into the photo.

Re: Safety features on board QE2
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2012, 09:45 PM »
Louis has also given me quite a few notes on Fire Doors. These will follow in a few days' time.

Thank you, Louis, for all these insights. With all your safety training, you must have been very aware of each of these details during your day-to-day work!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2012, 01:30 PM »
Louis, please tell us what is a liferaft station and who uses them?

QE2 has 6 Liferaft Stations.Stations 1 and 2 on the Foclse Area 3 and 4 on the Sports Deck Aft and 5 and 6 on One Deck Aft.

Each Liferaft Station has a Raft Preparation Party plus 5 groups numbered A to E each group has 25 crewmembers.The Raft Preparation Party will prepare load and supervise the evacuation.

During each boat drill one group will be called for a run through of the equipment and will stay behind to put the davit "away".

In a evacuation all liferafts must be capable of being boarded and launched in fully capacity in 30 minutes from the abanon ship signal.

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Now that Louis has made me aware of some of these safety features, I remember being amused (which I should not have been!) at the ground-level signs indicating stairs ahead. I thought that everyone would be able to see where there were stairs -- but had not thought of emergency situations where there might be smoke at the higher levels :

Up to the Theatre balcony by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

I have placed a note on the picture itself, showing the signs.

Offline Rod

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:43 PM »
I still find it amazing that even in this day and age, shoreside rules and regs require exit signs to be placed at the top of a wall. Up there they will be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike in a fire situation. Airlines and ships have been required to have them at ground level for years.

Safety Control Room

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 build photos

Replies: 24
Views: 9474
Last post May 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
by cunardqueen
QE2 Forward Bow Thruster Aperture & Door - Health & Safety?

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard Design, Concept & Build

Replies: 3
Views: 4689
Last post Apr 06, 2017, 12:11 PM
by Hugh Morrison
Cunard Safety Record

Started by Bob C.Board Cunard

Replies: 2
Views: 2008
Last post Jun 03, 2012, 04:15 PM
by Chris