Author Topic: Safety features on board QE2  (Read 21363 times)

Offline Rod

Re: Safety features on board QE2
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 11:08 PM »
On the boat topic...for a long, long time the boats on QE2 were basically ignored. During the re-engining, the DoT inspector flipped his lid regarding the boats. Holes in the sides of boat engines etc....they had a rethink on that and sent them up to a place called Fasmers to be thoroughly overhauled. I went with them.

capt.ilc

« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Regarding all the debates & safety culture on board...
I'm an active safety officer on some north European passenger vessel. Interest for safety was sharply better after the Concordia but as felt as low as ever. Just an inconvenience for crew (overtime without pay) and pax alike (why loose my time)... Just as you find any time you are on a flight and most people continue their reading. Safety is an un-regarding job!
Just watch yourself & give the good exemple! :)

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #47 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Lifeboats 1 & 2 were known as the crash boats. These each had small cabins with Radio gear inside and masts to rig the aerials. The callsigns were GBTT22 and GBTT33. These ancient valve sets had to be working before QE2 could get a passenger certificate and was a constant battle against the elements. They had drying heaters in them which would regularly fail so I wired in a small indicator in the radio room so see that they were intact.
The radio gear could operate on 500khz (morse)  2182khz (phone) and 8364khz (morse). Passing the lifeboat survey was always a relief.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #48 on: Jul 02, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Having taken another look at the posts already here, it seems that safety measures regarding passengers were thoroughly put to the test, reviewed and re-assessed on a regular basis.
Alcohol is also  something that is frequently mentioned - no bars open before drills etc.

As a matter of interest, what might have happened to someone who was considered unsafe to go on duty, for any reason - perhaps, although not necessarily related to issues concerning alcohol, drugs, mental state etc ?
Also would the policy be different for crew members, officers and individuals in other departments - also was the policy different for when the ship was in port, rather than far out at sea?

QE2 did have a Brig, however it's a bit tricky to find it at the moment!
Thank you!

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2014, 01:54 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
« Reply #49 on: Jul 03, 2014, 11:25 PM »
There was a 'virtual' brig in the form of any spare cabin usually aft end of 5 deck, though I don't know if there was a crew brig.
Regarding giving blood mentioned earlier, crew certainly did, I know because I gave blood on 3 occasions and my wife Sarah once, we are both O-neg as it happens, the universal donor. Dr Roberts would phone up saying, 'suspend G&T ops Willum, looks like we'll need to call on the blood bank later'. Few blood donors get to meet their recipients too.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #50 on: Jul 03, 2014, 11:55 PM »
There was a 'virtual' brig in the form of any spare cabin usually aft end of 5 deck, though I don't know if there was a crew brig.
Regarding giving blood mentioned earlier, crew certainly did, I know because I gave blood on 3 occasions and my wife Sarah once, we are both O-neg as it happens, the universal donor. Dr Roberts would phone up saying, 'suspend G&T ops Willum, looks like we'll need to call on the blood bank later'. Few blood donors get to meet their recipients too.

Hi Willum,

How lucky the ship was to have you on board - your being there made it much safer for everyone!

Yes - that's interesting about the need for blood - probably absolutely essential in some cases and from a clinical perspective, it raises one or two important matters.
Like the donors for transplants, blood donors rarely know who the recipients are - sometimes they only discover due to a breach in confidentiality! S'pose it might be quite difficult to protect the identity of a patient, specially if, after you had given blood, you then found yourself sitting next to a heavily bandaged Crew member in the Pig and Whistle! 8)
If the Doc was needing blood for a patient, it would be easy to think that this might have been for an injured crew-member - on the other hand, some of QE2's pax looked pretty anaemic - maybe  they were the recipients...No matter who was on the receiving end, those patients were very fortunate to get a readily available supply! It could have made for a significant ethical dilemma if the ship sent an invoice charging for blood, to a passenger - post-transfusion!
Rosie
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2014, 09:03 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Rod

« Reply #51 on: Jul 04, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Nigel Roberts always bought you Guinness after the gift though!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #52 on: Jun 07, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Skilly - Rod - Bruce and All
Please - is it possible to know whether there will be any essential safety equipment that will still be functioning after a long time in cold lay up
or at the very least 'workable' on QE2 now?
Radio, comms.etc
Lighting - power, bulbs etc
Hosepipes - with there be access to pumped water, electricity power etc?
WTDs - will these be use-able?
Fire equipment - protective clothing, extinguishers etc?
Crash boats - Loudspeakers... and much much more
Thank you, your thinking will be much appreciated.
Maybe the Owners of QE2 can also help to allay fears; that would be So good.
Rosie

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #53 on: Jun 08, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Skilly - Rod - Bruce and All
Please - is it possible to know whether there will be any essential safety equipment that will still be functioning after a long time in cold lay up
or at the very least 'workable' on QE2 now?
Radio, comms.etc
Lighting - power, bulbs etc
Hosepipes - with there be access to pumped water, electricity power etc?
WTDs - will these be use-able?
Fire equipment - protective clothing, extinguishers etc?
Crash boats - Loudspeakers... and much much more
Thank you, your thinking will be much appreciated.
Maybe the Owners of QE2 can also help to allay fears; that would be So good.
Rosie
I would have thought most essential safety systems rely on having some power available. Who knows what is available? Then you need people who know where to find any available kit and how to use it. Looks pretty bleak prospect to me!

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
« Reply #54 on: Jun 08, 2015, 10:31 PM »
 That list of safety gear is perfectly valid and ALL require regular maintenance which I suspect has been lacking. Watertight doors are a particularly good example. The lifeboat davits will be stuck too I expect. Tell you what, put the immediate post Bremerhaven '88 crew back on and give 'em a couple of weeks. They'd do it!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #55 on: Jun 08, 2015, 10:59 PM »
That list of safety gear is perfectly valid and ALL require regular maintenance which I suspect has been lacking. Watertight doors are a particularly good example. The lifeboat davits will be stuck too I expect. Tell you what, put the immediate post Bremerhaven '88 crew back on and give 'em a couple of weeks. They'd do it!

"That list", Willum was pure guesswork! So - Thank you, and do you think that portable external generator(s) could manage 'the list'? I believe these were in situ while the crew from V ships were on board.
Do you think the 'Bremerhaven gang could also chivvy the engines along too? (!!)

There's also a matter of ballast, and its management...would this also come under safety 'issues'?
Thinking about gasses that may need to be dealt with - or is this irrlevant?

Offline Rod

« Reply #56 on: Jun 14, 2015, 02:54 PM »
To my mind, one of the biggest problems would be any rotating equipment. If it has been sitting idle for years without being rotated, even 1/4 of a turn, flat spots will have developed.
Fire equipment would probably, be about 50% usable, but many extinguishers would need recharged.
WTD's?????????????????? they would be a big if!
The rubber in many pump seals will have dried out.
To get her going again would certainly be a massive undertaking.
Nice as Willum is to say it, I think the post Bremmerhaven crew would take 4 weeks! AND an awful lot of beer!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #57 on: Jun 14, 2015, 04:10 PM »
This makes very good sense, Rod. Thank you.
It reminds me of cars parked for just a couple of months in a warm climate; flattened tyres being the (often unexpected) result!

So - that entails most moving parts in the safety system, doesn't it?
Now, how about the rest - might we think about that, please?!
If QE2 is to be towed (by approx 8 mighty strong ocean-going tugs) in probably wild, lumpy open seas / conditions - what other parts would it be necessary to have actually able to 'move'?
Her rudder...maybe?
Anything else?

Safety Control Room

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 build photos

Replies: 24
Views: 9426
Last post May 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
by cunardqueen
QE2 Forward Bow Thruster Aperture & Door - Health & Safety?

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard Design, Concept & Build

Replies: 3
Views: 4651
Last post Apr 06, 2017, 12:11 PM
by Hugh Morrison
Cunard Safety Record

Started by Bob C.Board Cunard

Replies: 2
Views: 2004
Last post Jun 03, 2012, 04:15 PM
by Chris