Author Topic: Safety features on board QE2  (Read 21357 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Safety features on board QE2
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Louis has marked on this picture of the foredeck where groups muster for Liferaft Stations 1A, 1B and 1C.

I had never noticed these markings!

A final photo by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Have a look at the picture itself for Louis's notes, which will appear if you move the cursor across the picture.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012, 09:35 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Liferaft Stations 5 and 6 are marked in this picture, behind the jacuzzis :

Arctic air by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Louis has marked them with his notes on the Flickr picture.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:41 PM »
This picture contains not just wind-blown me at the North Cape, but also the covered ladders, which will be rolled out during an evacuation :

QE2 at the North Cape by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Louis's note is on the plastic cover in the bottom left of the picture, once you have clicked the small version above.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:44 PM »
Louis has added a new note here, showing another ladder which can be rolled out once the bulwark door in the railings has been opened :

Off the fog banks of Newfoundland by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Louis's more detailed notes are in the picture.

The smallest note on the right shows a heavy weight which is used instead of the liferafts during exercises. Could you tell us some more about this please, Louis?
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2012, 01:46 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:52 PM »
This picture contains not just wind-blown me at the North Cape, but also the covered ladders, which will be rolled out during an evacuation :

QE2 at the North Cape by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

Louis's note is on the plastic cover in the bottom left of the picture, once you have clicked the small version above.
I never knew what was under those covers!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:17 PM »
Louis has marked on this picture of the foredeck where groups muster for Liferaft Stations 1, 2 and 3.

That is Liferaft Station 1 and the markings read A to E.

Offline Rod

« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Regarding the liferafts. The theory is/was that the raft would be loaded at deck level then lowered to the water and released. Around say, 1980 the DoT decided that they wanted to see this happen to a certain amount ofrafts every year. The first time they did it on 2 deck aft, they got the people in and the raft collapsed! imagine a "popped" baloon hanging from a hook! With 25 people inside. Fortunately there  were no serious injuries.  DoT were not very impressed and insisted that every raft be taken back to the makers and tested and rectified. I never trusted them after that.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:41 PM »
That is Liferaft Station 1 and the markings read A to E.

Apologies, Louis -- corrected above now.

Could you please explain what happens to the passengers and crew? In the regular safety drill, we muster at our muster stations, all well inside the ship. What happens then? In an emergency, how do we get from the muster station to the lifeboats or the liferafts? Who goes where?

Presumably each lifeboat and each liferaft station is linked to a muster station?

I imagine (particularly after what Rod wrote) that the liferafts are very much the less desirable option if one wants to get off the ship and survive. Would every cabin be linked to a particular lifeboat or liferaft, or would the crew make sure that the less able bodied passengers had a lifeboat? How does it work?

Offline Rod

« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:44 PM »
In my day life rafts were for crew only.
In an emergency situation, when lifeboats were lowered they would be lowered to the boatdeck. There the crew would embark and some pax. Due to the design of the boats and launching tackle, the boats would be housed in tight to the side of the ship. If the ship was upright, then the boat could be lowered to the next deck to get more pax. If listing then the pax would be brought up to the boat deck. The whole system was designed to be idiot proof. AND basically it was.
As soon as the boat tie downs were let go, lift the brake, that red painted thing in the pics, and the boat would go down, and because of the design would be snugged in tight to the ships side. Crew and pax would board and the decision would be made wether or not to lower further or bring the pax up to boat deck.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2012, 11:58 PM »
Isabelle, passengers use Lifeboats and the Crew Liferafts.The Lifeboats will have a group of 6-8 crewmembers, theirs a 1st and 2nd in charge for every Lifeboat and Liferaft.I myself was mostly 2nd in charge of Lifeboats 10 or 11.

Upon the emergency signal all passengers must muster at their muster stations with lifejackets and wait for further instructions, going straight to Boat Deck is a wrong decision remember it might be cold and rainy outside, so staying inside you are kept warm and dry.Its is important that you get in the Lifeboats dry and warm your chances are greater of survival then, remember the ship might not be close to land then.If that is the case you might be in those Lifeboats for hours.

When the order of evacuation is given passengers are directed by those Muster Crew to the Lifeboats.If i recall well Lifeboats number 1,2,3,4,5,6,9,10,11,12 embark passengers on Boat Deck level.Lifeboats number 7,8,,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 embark passengers on Upper Deck level.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Its also interesting to read that words such as "lifeboats" "evacuate" and "abondon ship" will be avoided so as not to install panic amongst the passengers !
And that the evacuation will be conducted in two stages,namely "Commence Stage 1" and then "Stage 2"

<dead link removed>
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 06:18 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:47 PM »
In my day life rafts were for crew only.

They still are, Rod :-X

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:55 PM »
They still are, Rod

Very true Rosie, but if evacuation goes wrong and certain lifeboats cant be launched passengers will have to use liferafts there is plenty of spare ones.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #28 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:17 PM »
Rod, Louis and Crew Members - When you did the weekly drills, do you remeber ever asking passengers to actually get into the life-boats, or life-rafts even, and drop them down to sea level?
Another question - were people with their lifejackets on, (apart from the crew of the Tender) required to be strapped into seats on the benches?
Thank you! :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I presume that the reason why Captains don't put the passengers into the lifeboats unless absolutely necessary, is because its a bit risky!  Only when it is more risky to stay on the ship, does it become a good idea!  I can't imagine any passenger ever being in a lifeboat when it was lowered except in a dire emergency.  I'm sure the shipping line wouldn't be allowed to do this anyway - by insurers or regulators.  They'll only be insured to have crew do this I'm sure.

- R
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2012, 08:34 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Safety Control Room

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2 build photos

Replies: 24
Views: 9424
Last post May 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
by cunardqueen
QE2 Forward Bow Thruster Aperture & Door - Health & Safety?

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard Design, Concept & Build

Replies: 3
Views: 4649
Last post Apr 06, 2017, 12:11 PM
by Hugh Morrison
Cunard Safety Record

Started by Bob C.Board Cunard

Replies: 2
Views: 2003
Last post Jun 03, 2012, 04:15 PM
by Chris