Author Topic: Cunard Safety Record  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Bob C.

Cunard Safety Record
« on: May 05, 2012, 03:25 PM »
I just read in Warwick & Flayhart's "QE2" (1985) that, at the time, Cunard had not lost a passenger through the company's fault in peacetime.  Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Given the rise (and ease) of litigation since then I'm wondering if Cunard can still claim this same accolade.

Offline CAP

Re: Cunard Safety Record
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:15 AM »
The choice of words from Flyhart & Warwick is carefully constructed and probably true to the moment in time.  But like most things it is down to interpretation,what is the company's fault?   

The first incidence of loss of life aboard a Cunard ship was in 1905 when five passengers where swept overboard.  Could that constitute being the company's fault?  As you say with the proliferation of litigation and the need to prove "negligence", then probably today the incident would have been swiftly followed by lawsuits.

There are further incidents of loss of life after 1905 but perhaps labelling them the fault of the company may be unjust, all depends upon your interpretation.

Notably though, the reference by the authors is to peacetime, meaning something occurred at other times, I suspect this may be the Queen Mary/HMS Curacoa incident.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:40 AM by CAP »

Offline Chris

Cunard Safety Record
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Many Cunard ships were lost during war times. Lusitania for example was lost in WWI with a terrible loss of civilian life. The new book "Cunard Shipwrecks" by Sam Warwick documents these wartime losses well.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Cunard documents re 1986/7 refit

Started by Beardy RichBoard The 1980s

Replies: 9
Views: 4606
Last post Oct 07, 2010, 02:02 PM
by Beardy Rich
Animals travelling Cunard

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Cunard

Replies: 17
Views: 6369
Last post Jun 06, 2018, 09:58 AM
by Willum
Cunard's QE2 website

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 17
Views: 5903
Last post May 31, 2015, 09:30 AM
by Brandon Sterkel
Last crossing of a British-registered Cunard ship

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 2423
Last post Nov 10, 2011, 09:54 AM
by Bruce Nicholls
More of my Cunard files - Southampton to Rotterdam aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by shipnshoreBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 4
Views: 1179
Last post Jan 14, 2022, 12:37 PM
by shipnshore