Author Topic: January 2018 : Masters of the QE2 : Captains and / or First Officers  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

This month's theme is "Masters of the QE2 : Captains and / or First Officers", chosen by Cunarder Man, the winner of the October competition.

This is our chance to bring out those "Greeting the Captain" photos (and others caught by ourselves in more unguarded moments)!

The prize this month is the Isle of Man stamps set of QV, donated by Lynda Bradford.

https://www.iompost.com/stamps-coins/product/cunard-ocean-liners-special-smiler-sheets/

Alternatively, June Ingram is offering a jigsaw of the prizewinning picture. The choice is yours -- which will it be?

The album is open -  so now is the time to look for your most interesting pictures on this theme. Wishing you happy memories as you search your photo collection to find up to three pictures to upload to the competition album.

This link will take you straight there : Masters of the QE2 : Captains and / or First Officers.

If you have not uploaded photos to the Forum Gallery before, have a look at these instructions, and if you have any problems, just contact us on admin@theqe2story.com. You could even email the photos to this address, and we can upload them for you.

The deadline for submitting photos is 31 January 2018. Voting will run from 1 February 2018 until 28 February 2018.

We look forward to seeing your photos in this month's competition. 

This is the fifth month of photos for the 2019 calendar. Maybe your photo will figure there!

Enjoy yourselves!  :)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Here we are more than half way through the month, and only a very few photos have been entered into the competition.  Please have a look through your photos and see if you have any Captain or First Officer photos which you would like to enter. It would be great to have a large selection of photos for this competition.   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Added mine :) . Bringing back happy memories!

Online Lynda Bradford

Added mine :) . Bringing back happy memories!

Good photos Isabelle!  :)

With only 9 photo entries, we could do with some more photos uploaded to the competition.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Pete Hamill

Another 2 uploaded!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I was never a great one for taking photos of people, being much more interested in the ship herself.

I think it comes from the fact that I didn't ever really travel on QE2 (except at the end) so didn't know any of the personalities.  Most of what I've learned about the people behind QE2, I've learned since starting this site after QE2 ended service.

So I won't be submitting a photo this month, but good luck to all!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

I am starting to set up the poll for the January Photo Competition and although only 12 photos have been submitted so far, it is so interesting to capture these photos of QE2 Captains and/ First Officers.

I am hoping that you will have a look at your QE2 photos and try to find some QE2 Captain/First Officer pictures to upload to the completion before 31 January. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Richard Smith

How about this photo of my father Captain George E Smith the second ever Captain of QE2? This was the first visit to the ship by HM Queen Elizabeth. My father was Staff Captain. The Master, Captain Bil Warwick should have been at the gangway to be the first to greet the Queen, but (according to my father) when the Captain came out of his cabin he found a pile of sawdust on the carpet where the Queen would have walked. No one was around to clear it up, so he found a dustpan and brush and cleared it away. That meant he was late. I know Commodore Ron Warwick well but have never checked whether or not he has heard the story before.
My father Captain George E Smith was the second ever Master of QE2 and the first Staff Captain. He was also Captain of Queen Elizabeth, Carmania and Franconia.

Great picture and story, Richard!

Yes indeed, this would be a good photo to have in the competition. Would you like to upload it to the Gallery album?

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=173

We could do it for you if you wish.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
There is still the rest of today to upload your three favorite photos of QE2 Captains and/or First Officers.  If you have not already submitted any, please have a look through your photos and add yours to the ones already submitted.

We can help you upload the photos if there is a problem uploading them.

Richard, have you been able to upload your photo ? 

Many thanks !

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Poll for the January photo competition "QE2 Queens Room"

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 27
Views: 4042
Last post Feb 28, 2017, 11:53 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Messages celebrating The QE2 Story's anniversary (25 January 2009)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 48
Views: 4609
Last post Jan 26, 2023, 06:32 PM
by Rod
Waverley Presentation - Tuesday 11th January

Started by Clydebuilt1971Board PS Waverley

Replies: 3
Views: 2302
Last post Jan 12, 2011, 09:42 AM
by Alistair
January newsletter

Started by pete cainBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 5
Views: 1500
Last post Jan 25, 2019, 03:56 PM
by Lynda Bradford
14 January 2008 : New York

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 0
Views: 1237
Last post Jan 14, 2020, 06:40 PM
by Rob Lightbody