Author Topic: Some statistics for the photo competitions  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Some statistics for the photo competitions
« on: Jul 31, 2019, 05:27 PM »
Looking back over several years of the photo competitions, it may be interesting to compile a few relevant statistics.

I have just done this for 2018 and 2019 (attached).

Offline pete cain

Re: Some statistics for the photo competitions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2019, 07:52 PM »
Isabelle , do you know if it is the same voters  & contributers  most times,? (don't go deep to confirm ) just wondering.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 31, 2019, 08:37 PM »
This is just the information that is available in the forum. We cannot see who has voted, but at the end of the month, we can see each time how many voters have participated in the poll. In the gallery, we can see who the contributors of the photos are. I could go through those for the past two years also and provide statistics on the photographers. Seen over a longer period, we have more contributors than you might think.

As regards the voters, my own suspicion would be that they are probably the same every month, but I very much hope that I am wrong and that we can draw on a much larger pool of voters.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Gosh, interesting to see. It was higher than l imagined.  but the voting seems consistant..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2019, 03:41 PM »
It is fairly consistent.  Just too bad it is not higher. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2019, 10:25 PM »
I have now worked out photo entries by individual Forum member, for the years 2018 and 2019, as well as updating the table I had already posted (we had one final extra voter this month!).

The names in the tables for 2018 and 2019 are initially the names of Forum members who entered photos in 2018. You will notice quite a few blanks in 2019, but also, at the bottom of the list, three members who entered photos in 2019 but not in 2018.

It was quite an interesting exercise!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2019, 02:34 PM »
Let me try and draw some statistics out of this table.

We have 19 months there, i.e. a maximum of 19 x 3 = 57 photos would be possible per Forum member.

The highest numbers of photos have been entered by :
  • 57 Isabelle Prondzynski
  • 54 Thomas Hypher
  • 49 Cunarder Man
  • 43 Cunardqueen
  • 41 Hamburger
  • 38 Lynda Bradford
  • 36 Stowaway 2k
  • 22 Pete Hamill
  • 21 Barumfox
  • 17 Pete Cain
Another statistic is the number of participants.

In 2018, we had a total of 38 Forum members who submitted one or more photos during the course of the year. In 2019 (7 months so far), these have been 20. We seem to have lost some members who entered their photos on an occasional basis (and then often won the competitions!).

« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2019, 07:49 PM »
We seem to have lost some members who entered their photos on an occasional basis (and then often won the competitions!).

Looking at the entries for the current photo competition (August 2019), I see that we have 7 participants so far, all of whom are listed above under the ten most frequent participants.

Looking forward to entries by those members who do not contribute so often, or have never contributed before, so that we include more photographers and their work here!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2019, 07:52 PM »
That's really interesting Isabelle, thank you so much for the ferreting around, I hope it wasn't too much work
 (if it was you wouldn't say ) ;)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2021, 07:58 PM »
I had produced some statistics on the people who had entered the photo competition the most times, so as to award top contributors a prize of the Photo Book of the ten years of photos. 

I have attached the spreadsheet for you to see the numbers.  Note - this is a count by person and not the number of photos entered by person

You can see that three members entered photos for the competition more than 100 times, 4 members entered 50 to 99 times and 8 members 20 to 49 times. 

There are also a high number of people who have only entered photos one or twice, but what is important is that our forum members enter their QE2 photos for all to see. 
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2021, 08:02 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2021, 09:18 PM »
I've entered relatively few because in my case the photos are pre-digital which means scanning them, but as they're on matt paper, it's not easy to get a high degree of sharpness for a scan, even on 300dpi or higher.

It's rather ironic that matt paper, which is better quality for looking at actual photos, yields lower quality scans than gloss paper does.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2021, 09:22 AM »
That's interesting about the matt format not giving such a good result when scanned.  People who sailed on QE2 prior to when we had digital cameras, may have lot's of interesting photos in albums but have never got around to scanning them.  So there could be a treasure trove of QE2 photos waiting to be found. I had used a negative scanner for lot's of my non digital photos and this produced good results.

Whether you support the competition by entering photos or voting for your three favourite pictures, we appreciate the effort of forum members in keeping the memory alive. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2021, 04:36 PM »
That's interesting about the matt format not giving such a good result when scanned.  People who sailed on QE2 prior to when we had digital cameras, may have lot's of interesting photos in albums but have never got around to scanning them.  So there could be a treasure trove of QE2 photos waiting to be found. I had used a negative scanner for lot's of my non digital photos and this produced good results.   

I remember in the days of Ocean Pictures being told at the photographer's kiosk that the photos we buy won't fade for at least 25 years.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2021, 06:06 PM »
I would say the majority of my photos are prints mounted in albums and on the one or two occasions that I decided to try and scan the pictures to enter them the albums and mounts suffered damage so I just don't attempt it any more.
All of my submissions are from the (my) digital era - 2003 onwards. This means unfortunately anything I have between 1996 and mid 2003 are locked away in fragile albums unlikely to be entered into the competitions.  :(

« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2021, 06:12 PM »
Pete, with my iPhone, I can scan pictures or text (using "Notes") without removing them from where they are, and I can even scan things that are bigger than A4, which my normal scanner would not be able to do. You might not get the absolutely perfect quality, but that does not matter so much. Even for the calendar, if the photos are not in perfect resolution, I just use them in a small size, and they come out very well. It would be lovely if you could give it a try!