Author Topic: Science photo library (photo)  (Read 2258 times)

Offline pete cain

Science photo library (photo)
« on: Oct 03, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Found this interesting photo of pre-build model , I've never seen it before & thought it worth posting,   http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/363476/enlargehttp:// , wonder where that model is now?.  As ever sorry if it's been posted previously, (maybe for models Rob, leave it to you).

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Science photo library (photo)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Its remarkably complete for a 1964 model... I'm hard pushed to see anything that's out of place at all?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2011, 08:03 PM »
I don't think that is a 1964 model but believe it is the wind tunnel model used for testing funnel and other configurations.  It can be seen in the photo section of Potter and Frost's "Queen Elizabeth 2: The Authorised Story".

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2011, 11:40 AM »
Considering the final design of the funnel was not established until 1967 and the final mast design was not fixed until August 1967 I doubt if this is a 1964 model.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Considering the final design of the funnel was not established until 1967 and the final mast design was not fixed until August 1967 I doubt if this is a 1964 model.

That was my thinking as welll but did not have the dates as you provided.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2011, 05:28 PM »
That was my thinking as welll but did not have the dates as you provided.

Nevertheless, this model illustrates her timeless beauty and perfect proportions.  Just looking at the model invokes images of her slicing through the stormy Atlantic at speed.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2011, 05:29 PM »
Great questions Rob and below is only a brief answer.....

May 1964: secret tests were being carried out at the Ship research Laboratory on a 22-foot long wax model of the hull of the proposed new ship. The most significant development from the tests was the provision of a slightly bulbous bow to reduce pitching in rough seas. The model had already been tried in the 1,300-fot long tank at Feltham, the longest of its kind in the world.

At the end of August 1964 Cunard was in a position to invite tenders for Q4.

.....The funnel design was not decided until after endless work with designer James Gardner in conjunction with Cunard’s technical department and the National Physical Laboratory at Teddington in Middlesex. The final design was not fixed until 1967. The final mast design (again Gardner) was not fixed until September 1967.

Searched online, including National Physical Laboratory (NPL) website
This seems to have been a wax model made at the time of testing the funnel for displacement of fumes in 1964!

There are papers by Scruton, C. and Flint, A.R. ( April 1964 ) from a symposium (Davenport)
'Therefore, the practical solution for model testing, developed at NPL and .... The NPL work also covered dispersion of plumes from ships funnels such as the QEII ....'

There are other academic websites that also refer to NPL testing Concorde as well as QE2 in wind tunnels
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.