Author Topic: Ask the QE2's Captain (Ian McNaught)  (Read 23105 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Ask the QE2's Captain (Ian McNaught)
« Reply #45 on: Sep 09, 2010, 02:43 PM »
Thouroughly enjoyed reading Captain McNaught's answers. I thought the questions were great and the answers brilliant.
Thanks Rob for organising and thanks to Captain McNaught for taking the time to answer the questions is such great detail.

Alistair

Hear hear!!!

Thanks Rob.

This site just goes from strength to strength.

;D

Offline Jem

« Reply #46 on: Sep 10, 2010, 02:07 AM »
What fantastic answers! My favourites were the final part to question 11 and best of all the final answer ;D
Thank you so very much Ian for taking the time to answer my question about 2 liners, makes perfect sense.
Just thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. Great work Rob. :)

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #47 on: Sep 13, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Wow.  What a priviledge to have this opportunity!  I too like the answer to Q11 the best (as it was my question!)...

What a contrast, hearing such tales of life in her prime to the somewhat forlorn imagages which have come out today...a ship really is about its people...

By coincidence we have just come back from a short Med Cruise and coincided with the Seabourne Spirit in Dubrovnik...no sign of the captain though, just lots of his happy passengers!

Thanks Captain and thanks Rob, this really made my day.

Alex.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #48 on: Sep 15, 2010, 12:52 PM »

Thank you Captain McNaught!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #49 on: Sep 16, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Thank you Captain McNaught!

Thank you, your replies  are much appreciated.

Highlander0108's image above  seems to epitomise exactly what you say
Although our experience of QE2 was 'then' -  'now' there are many valuable memories.
Her success has been due solely to the efforts of everyone who contributed so much to her life - from Day One!

Hopefully the silver model will find a home - if it's not possible for it to stay in your living room
then definitely, it needs to be somewhere where it will be equally well enjoyed.
The best possible subject for conversation!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #50 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:02 AM »
Rounding the South Channel Pile Light requires the ship to make a sharp turn of more than 90 degrees to port. The Master required that this turn be executed slowly and gradually, presumably for the comfort of passengers.

The answers that Ian McNaught gave to the questions found elsewhere in the QE2 Story forum reminded me of the discussion I had with him that night. We took probably five hours to make the passage up the Bay to Port Melbourne at a leisurely pace. When we got to Station Pier and the ship was being put alongside, observations were made about the nature of the ship, her passengers and crew. They were always caring observations and conveyed a strong empathy with the ship and her passengers and crew.

Once the ship was alongside Capt McNaught asked if the pilot and I would stay for breakfast but we both had to get away and  declined his invitation. The Captain gave us each a plaque commemorating QE2's final year of service which was a lovely and unexpected surprise.

"They were always caring observations and conveyed a strong empathy with the ship and her passengers and crew."

Yes indeed -- this is the quality that comes out in Ian McNaught's responses to our questions. You put your finger on it so well!

I too want to thank Ian, Sue and Rob for having made it possible to read Ian's views on so many matters that we brought to him. Not only his love of QE2, but also his own caring personality shine through in his answers. I wish him many more contented days on the sea!

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #51 on: Sep 23, 2010, 03:55 AM »
I wish him well with his new ship. May he enjoy many days and years of enjoyment with her too.

Captain Ray Heath (with the Muppets)

Started by Andy HollowayBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 3786
Last post Mar 26, 2023, 10:54 PM
by Tyler DeLay
Captain L R Hasell (12 April 1997)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 1996
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:30 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Captain A J Hutcheson, RD RNR (13 March 1982)

Views: 2123
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:40 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Commodore T D Ridley, RD Captain RNR (26 August 1978)

Views: 3700
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:41 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Captain W J Law RD RNR (19 June 1970)

Views: 2320
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
by Lynda Bradford