Author Topic: Ask the QE2's Captain (Ian McNaught)  (Read 23104 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Ask the QE2's Captain (Ian McNaught)
« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Closing date for entries extended to this Friday - 13th
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Speedbird178

« Reply #16 on: Aug 11, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Dear Captain McNaught,
I was a passenger aboard one of your very first voyages in command of the QE2.  I was crossing westboung ex-Southampton 26MAY03, arriving NY 1st June 2003.  I had a personal vehicle on board (an M-reg Volvo 850 Estate), and a dozen pieces of hold baggage, which in Southampton had been removed ostensibly for security reasons from the vehicle and placed in the hold baggage room (against my preference that it all be together).  Mid-voyage I bumped into you on deck, and asked you if I could have all my hold baggage put back into the vehicle so that on arrival the vehicle could just conveniently be driven off (per my original plan) in one easy neat operation with all baggage aboard.   You said politely but firmly no, citing security reasons.  The irony was that, in Southampton when they removed all the baggage from the vehicle they evidently could not lift the ten-ton exercise bike so they left that in the vehicle (the fly wheel of which could easily have been stuffed with C4 explosive).  So, I ended up having to decant all that hold baggage, pay a porter to move it in the lift downstairs in New York, and then re-pack everything in a rush.  When they opened the stern hatches, there was my vehicle -- covered in black garbage bags!  (The garbage bags in the 70s I used to watch staff throwing off the stern in the middle of the night, leaving a wake of garbage bags in the cean as far as the eye could see.   My question:  Was your real reason for saying no the eminently practical problem of getting to the vehicle under all that garbage, or was/is there a real security policy impediment?  If the latter how do you explain the exercise bike?  In the end that inconvenience cost me a computer (broken by stevedores as they slung it and other hold baggage down the belts).  Just wondering.   No hard feelings.  Wish you the very best in your new position.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Thank you everybody for your submissions so far.

Today is your last chance, and then we will be closing this topic to allow us to put together a coherent selection of questions to send to Captain McNaught.

Cheers,

- Rob.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline bswan

« Reply #18 on: Aug 13, 2010, 12:32 PM »
I would like to ask Ian, What was it that made QE2 so special to you?? Did you finish with Cunard as QE2 was the last great liner and you fealt that you needed a change in direction with your career going to Seabourn?

Having met you on the final world cruise i found you to be the nicest man who was friendly with everyone, crew and passengers. You were a real asset to Cunard, do come back one day. :)

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2010, 04:21 PM »
Rob... thanks for this opportunity to connect with Captain Ian.....

Message and question for Ian......My late husband and I sailed on the QE2's Farewell to Bermuda cruise in May 2003 not long after you took command as master of QE2...... My husband was born in Sunderland and he enjoyed a nice chat with you about school days, etc. in Sunderland and area.....I was very sad to see you leave Cunard... I just returned from a 20 day voyage to Norway and back on Queen Mary 2 with Capt. Nick Bates......what a wonderful voyage that was....Capt Nick is retiring at the end of this month.....I would dearly love to see you take command of Queen Mary 2.. QE2's true sister !!  If that chance came, would you consider it ?

Thank you very much... Linda Crooks...Sarnia, Ontario Canada.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Aug 13, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I should have said this earlier (but I was away on holiday) but we're really only looking for questions for Ian relating to his time with QE2.

Thanks!

Online Scott Ebersold

« Reply #21 on: Aug 13, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Hello. 

My two questions would be, if you could choose a future for QE2, what would it be?  And what is your fondest memory from your time as her master?

-Scott

richc1977

« Reply #22 on: Aug 13, 2010, 07:43 PM »
My question is has he seen my Virtual Tour website?

I hope so and that it brings back some fond memories of "our" ship.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #23 on: Aug 14, 2010, 04:26 AM »
I have some questions regarding the possibility of returning QE2 to her home in Clydebank:

1.  Knowing she made the journey down the Clyde in original configuration, what was is the actual working draft of the ship in her final years and final incarnation?
2.  Do you know what the maintained channel depth is on the Clyde up to the location of the Titan Crane?
3.  If all the fuel were removed, ballast pumped out, and the ship lightened up as much as possible, can you guess what the draft of the ship be?
4.  If the funnel and foremast were temporary removed to clear the Erskine Bridge, do you think it is feasible for the ship to make the journey back to Clydebank?

Regarding the reports that the aluminum superstructure is poor condition:

1.  Were you ever worried about damage to the aluminum superstructure during rough weather?
2.  Was this a factor, along with the fuel consumption, in slowing down the ship for crossings to minimize wear on the alumiinum?

Finally, a few on the final voyages:

1.  Were you tempted to run her flat out to demonstrate her speed for a final time, similar to the speed demonstrated on the final departure from Southampton? 
2.  Did you have any special instructions from Cunard regarding the ship's top speed, especially on the final voyage?
3.  It must have been tempting to showcase her speed for the final time and hand her over with empty tanks.  How much fuel did you leave in the tanks in Dubai?
4.  How many engines were running on our tandem crossing with QV and how did the fuel consumpton compare with QV for the same given speed?

-Ken
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Aug 16, 2010, 02:47 PM »
One thing I'd like to add just now - after thoroughly reading the questions while putting together the document to send to the Captain - is what he told me when I spoke to him back in June before our Clyde get together weekend which he nearly managed to attend.  He said that Seabourne was providing the kind of luxury, personal service that QE2 used to and that there were a huge number of former QE2 regulars travelling with Seabourne now. 
He wasn't just giving me marketing spiel, because he was speaking off the record, I could tell he genuinely enjoys the Seabourn ships and their style. 
Also the interesting ports that their smaller ships can get to which must make a nice change after years of parking a giant ship with a 32 foot draught and a need for many tugs each time!

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #25 on: Aug 16, 2010, 02:49 PM »
That's interesting, Rob.

So all we need now is for Seabourne to be persuaded to paint their hulls black and their funnels red.....??? ;)

( Photoshop, anyone??? )
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Scott Ebersold

« Reply #26 on: Aug 17, 2010, 04:54 PM »
That is interesting Rob, as I do recall my first time onboard QE2 in the 90s that Seabourne was marketed as being the same experience as QE2, only more intimate.  It would make sense that it continues that feeling as it hasn't been so rebranded.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Sep 02, 2010, 02:49 PM »
Captain Ian McNaught has now answered our questions - and some of his answers make for absolutely fascinating reading.

I'm going to have to leave you all in suspenders for a few more days though - I will publish his answers on our website early next week, as I am going away for a few days today.

I would like to once more publically and profusely thank Sue and Ian McNaught for helping us to Keep the Legend Alive, after they spent so many years helping to create the legend.

Offline Alistair

« Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Looking forward with great anticipation to the answers Rob.
Suspenders being stretched to the limit!!  ;D

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2010, 04:42 PM »
I am really looking forward to seeing Ian McNaught's response to the questions.  Rob you are cruel letting us know that you have the answers then leaving us in suspenders until Monday. 

I am sure that everyone from the forum would want to thank Ian McNaught for taking the time to answer the questions and also say thank-you to Rob for arranging the questions and answers session. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Captain Ray Heath (with the Muppets)

Started by Andy HollowayBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 8
Views: 3786
Last post Mar 26, 2023, 10:54 PM
by Tyler DeLay
Captain L R Hasell (12 April 1997)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 1996
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:30 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Captain A J Hutcheson, RD RNR (13 March 1982)

Views: 2123
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:40 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Commodore T D Ridley, RD Captain RNR (26 August 1978)

Views: 3700
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:41 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Captain W J Law RD RNR (19 June 1970)

Views: 2320
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:48 AM
by Lynda Bradford