Author Topic: Cabin numbering  (Read 6561 times)

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Cabin numbering
« on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:31 PM »
Looking at the deck plans, particularly on 5 deck adjacent cabins are not consecutively numbered; although there is some logical progression of lower to higher numbers from bow to stern, I am wondering why the numbers do seem to "jump about" a bit.

Surely it would have been easier to find the way round if numbering was strictly in a progressive order?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Bob C.

Re: Cabin numbering
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:12 AM »
I'll have to look at my QM deck plans to see if there is the same thing.

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2010, 08:07 AM »
Have never noticed, will have a look at my deck plans when home from work later, gotta fly out the door now!
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Peter, a good find!

And ancoaster78 will have more helpful info, too!

The cabin numbering that you refer to - is it the 2007 version, here?

Note Link takes you to Cunard site search on deck plans where you can choose a current ship, but not QE2:
https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/search-cunard?searchTerm=Deck%20plans

e.g. Queen Elizabeth deck plan:
https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/cruise-ships/queen-elizabeth/7

Over the years, some cabin numbers have ceased to exist!
For example - 5009 doesn't appear in the 2007 plan
However in Captain R W Warwick's 'QE2 : The Cunard Line Flagship...'
cabin 5009 is squeezed in next to 5007 (1985 / 1999, 3rd Ed)

Perhaps changes were made too -  before the Falklands campaign?
Possibly at the time of refits and when the bathrooms were changed?
Rosie.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 09:23 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Yes, I'm looking at the 2007 plan - though 5 deck is still virtually "as built" isn't it?

On the other decks, the cabin numbering seems very logical, odds on starboard and evens on port, sequentially.  It's only when you get to the inside cabins on 4 deck that the system starts to look untidy, and 5 deck is a complete illogical mess, to be honest.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Hello!
About some other changes - take a look at bathtub rooms!
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1015.0.html
Rosie
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 12:26 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Yes, the 5 deck numbering does seem to conform to that, but only in a very loose way.  On the other decks that is a much clearer rule.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:47 PM »
From what I can see there is very little change to the cabin numbering other than the sequence gaps from the rooms that no longer exist.  I compared the 2006 deck plan with 1969 original cabin numbering.

To see the 1969 deck plans go to (Note: link to rms Queen Elizabeth 2 not active) click on "Bridge" at the top (2nd from the left in the red bar), look for the "Interactive Deck Plans 1969:" and select "One - Five Decks".  Once you are done playing with all the extremely intriguing features, look at the cabin numbering. 

Here you'll find the cabins' original numbering as well as those that became "lost" over the years.  The numbering system is a traditional naval one where the even numbers are on the port (left) of centerline and odd numbers to starboard (right).  From there the numbering sequence increases from inboard to outboard in transverse (athwartships) rows of cabins. 

A good example is the row of rooms traversing from port to starboard on 5 Deck just aft of A Stairway - 5018-5025. On centerline, port is 5018 and on centerline, starboard is 5021.  On the port side, the even numbers increase as you go outboard with  5018, 5020 and 5022.  The same thing is on the starboard side with 5021, 5023 and 5025 (5019 is the most starboard outboard room in the row just forward of this example).

Confused?  I was too but after 30 years in the US Navy I have it figured out.  Just keep looking at the pattern in the example and cross check it with the deck plans.  It will come.

Two very interesting tidbits I noticed is that cabin numbers on all decks begin with X001 (e.g. 5001, 4001, 3001) instead of X000.  And on every deck there is no X013 (e.g. 5013, 4013, 3013)!!!

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2022, 09:51 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:55 PM »
That link is giving a DNS error?

And thank you for the explanation, so really the messy look of the numbering is simply because there are so many rows of cabins, whereas on the higher decks it's just the two rows?

Online Bob C.

« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:56 PM »
That link is giving a DNS error?

And thank you for the explanation, so really the messy look of the numbering is simply because there are so many rows of cabins, whereas on the higher decks it's just the two rows?

No DNS error for me, keep trying.

And you are correct about the cabins.  If there were more inboard cabins on 2 and 1 Deck, you'd see the same "mess".

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2010, 05:02 PM »
It's working now. :)

Although for me that "bridge" link is on the left, not the right?

Anyway, yes - I can see the differences with the more recent plans, and it's a bit clearer how the numbering was done now that I can see all the original cabins.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 05:07 PM by Peter Mugridge »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Fascinating!

Bob, 
Please - are you able to see from the original deck plans if the Crew cabins
were numbered in the same fashion as the passenger cabins?
and btw! - do you know whether all number ending in xx13 are 
deleted throughout all ships?

If you click on the blue markers on http://rmsqueenelizabeth2.com Note: link not active
you'll find images of some of the Staterooms (and other places besides)
Rosie.

(No place here for QE2 and superstitions...Maybe 'another place, another time'!)

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2022, 09:51 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2010, 05:29 PM »
Although for me that "bridge" link is on the left, not the right?

Oops!  Just corrected that...

Please - are you able to see from the original deck plans if the Crew cabins
were numbered in the same fashion as the passenger cabins?
and btw! - do you know whether all number ending in xx13 are 
deleted throughout all ships?

Rosie, I don't have crew cabins in the plans but would expect they are numbered in the same maritime convention.  Also, don't know about all ships, I'll have to look.  But on QE2 only the X013 are omitted.  There are X113's and X213's.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2010, 05:53 PM »
Rosie, I don't have crew cabins in the plans but would expect they are numbered in the same maritime convention.

Crew cabins are as follow
Cabins on 4 and 5 deck start at x01.Foward cabins are until x49 the aft cabins x50 up
6 decks cabins start at 6001 on the forward section and goes to the higher number aft.Sorry i dont what was the last cabin on 6 deck.
3 deck cabins start at x01 too.Cabins are too numbered even and uneven.We do have cabins x13.
Sorry if theres a mistake somewhere but cabin crew numbers is not what you really look for.As a crew you just seem to what corridor leads where and not really look for a cabin number.You know what i mean?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:31 PM »
Over the years, some cabin numbers have ceased to exist!
For example - 5009 doesn't appear in the 2007 plan (see link above)
However in Captain R W Warwick's 'QE2 : The Cunard Line Flagship...'
cabin 5009 is squeezed in next to 5007 (1985 / 1999, 3rd Ed)

Some of the missing cabins were used for onboard entertainers, if you look at recent deck plans they  were mostly located forward,One that springs to mind is the cabin 4001. I was a frequent visitor to cabin 4003 a lovely charming sweet little cabin MO single grade and a few times saw the "occupant" of 4001. Of course my nature was that l always stopped and passed the time of day, and made the excuse how was your cabin, well a quick peep inside told me right away it was a mini home and obviously designed for long term use, even had a mini fridge and then he let slip that he was a travelling entertainer, hence the cabin decorations.

A member of the ships staff had a passenger cabin on 5 deck near if l recall near  D or E stairway.They confided over dinner one night as host.
 When l was in cabin 3006 MO single, the occupant(s) of both 3002/3004 used to mention the noise level . I wonder if such cabins were removed from service due to the noise levels from the forward cargo hatch?
 Besides  Carnival  did reinstate a number of cabins when they took over Cunard  that had been slowly given over to crew over the years, resulting in increased revenue   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Surprises in the cabin!

Started by ChrisBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 9
Views: 3626
Last post Jul 30, 2020, 05:12 AM
by Jeff Mahler
Staff Captain's Cabin

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Officers & Crew Areas

Replies: 2
Views: 2836
Last post May 26, 2010, 08:42 AM
by Michael Gallagher
Favourite cabin stewards / stewardesses

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 4
Views: 2361
Last post Aug 11, 2011, 07:57 AM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Helen Brocklesby, QE2 Cabin Steward, penthouse butler & accom services admin

Started by Helen BrocklesbyBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 1995
Last post Sep 09, 2013, 07:10 PM
by Alan Snelson
June 2019 : QE2 cabin decks

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 9
Views: 1797
Last post Jun 23, 2019, 08:05 PM
by Thomas Hypher