Author Topic: Surprises in the cabin!  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Chris

Surprises in the cabin!
« on: Aug 04, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Always nice to find that personal touch... here's my sisters bed from a cruise back in 1998:

(More images from that trans-Panama voyage here: http://www.chriscunard.com/qe2-1998.htm

And aboard Queen Mary 2:

Links not working

--

Got any others? :)
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2021, 07:30 PM by Lynda Bradford »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Surprises in the cabin!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Great photos Chris!  Controversially (as ever) I'd say this is a Carnival/General cruising/American thing, rather than QE2... I presume they've only done this recently?
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009, 11:22 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Well - the picture (top) was taken aboard QE2's 1998 World Cruise (trans-Panama) so well before Carnival begun influencing the service aboard the Cunarders.

The latter was aboard QM2 in 2004 and quite similar to what we experienced when we sailed aboard Enchantment of the Seas.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Oh, those crazy monkeys freak me out.  I had the unfortunate "pleasure" of sailing one of the NCL Disaster of the Seas and I screamed when I saw that freakin' monkey.  From that day on, I would never leave the room unless my sunglasses were ON ME or in the safe!   :o ??? :P

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:33 PM »

The bottle of fizz, some roses, union jacks, plus The Invitation...
These were completely unexpected - specially in the lowly 5 Deck cabin!  :)
I miss QE2. (This time last year, we were aboard.... :'(   )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/watch_keeper/?savedsettings=3790318248#photo3790318248
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2009, 10:58 PM by Twynkle »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Very similar style in 2008 :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2893207537/

-- this night dress was ankle length, and the dainty effect was the result of clever folding.

And there were of course the nightly chocolates, greedily accepted and never photographed (but a few of the wrappers still serve as bookmarks even now).

And here was Nelly the Elephant, found in a friend's cabin during a mini cavalcade :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2698586016/

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2009, 12:38 AM »
Great photos Chris!  Controversially (as ever) I'd say this is a Carnival/General cruising/American thing, rather than QE2... I presume they've only done this recently?

I agree with Rob in that the towel animal thing is a cruise gimmick - fun but not tradiion. 

The tradition of laying our nightware, I can attest for QE2 goes back to 1969 as well as turning down your bed.  If you watch National Geographic's Superliner: Twighlight of and Era you will see a QE2 cabin steward giving his recollection of the good old days when not just nightwear was laid out and beds turned down but suits brushed down, dresses fluffed, etc. 

I could use a good dose of the good old days right now...

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2009, 12:38 AM »
Discovering my onboard account pushed under the door was certainly a surprise... :'(
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Discovering my onboard account pushed under the door was certainly a surprise... :'(   
It still happens onboard Queen Mary , my first time it came as a bit of a surprise.now its just second nature to see it under the door.

Mindyou last year l was up at the crack of dawn on Christmas Eve , it was so early the bills hadnt been delivered and the only humans l saw were the front desk agent and the bell boy at the ships entrance. And Queen Mary was full .
(off topic)
That was also the time, for some unknow reason l had allowed a lot of extra time to get to the airport, and my uber driver assured me she would be there at the appointed time, it came, l gave her a quick call, to be told "lm here", l said "flash your lights i dont see you", she replied "my lights are on, im outside the office ".."I said Office, what office, lm beside the ship" , she said "the ship !" l said "Yes the one you dropped me at yesterday." after some laughing l asked her, "be honest with me shall l just get an uber from here, or will you make it down in time".  l could hear her engine already running, she said "No im on my way , expect me soon." so l spoke to the bell boy l knew it would be at least 40 mins ,as time wore on a car appeared, l gave it no thought as theres no way she could have driven that distance so quickly. The car stops at my side and she appears , lm momentarily lost for words , thinking how in gods name has she done that trip so quickly, l do it every year and know roughly how long it takes.
 We still had time to exchange Christmas gifts, stop for a coffee for her and a fast paced drive to LA Aiprort, and arrive before 6am for a early morning flight to Vegas , and l still had plenty of tiem to spare
 This year, flying out of Long Beach airport will be a change rather than the utter madness of LAX .   

Mercifully there are no towel animals on Queen Mary Nor yet in Las Vegas. Now a pillow surprise is another matter, they are always fun. no matter where you are.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Jeff Mahler

« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2020, 05:12 AM »
As a party decorator, there were numerous times that we had balloons left over after an event, and it never got old finding a friends cabin steward to let us in and to fill a cabin with balloons. Maybe my favorite was my first cruise director, John Waldren. I remember his next door neighbor's response to his arrival as..."pop, pop, "Damn"... pop, pop, "Shit" etc... we laughed for days.
Decorating the Queens room and Grand Lounge for 18 years. TOYL!