Author Topic: February 2023 : QE2 & her superstructure repairs  (Read 824 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

February 2023 : QE2 & her superstructure repairs
« on: Feb 04, 2023, 02:47 PM »
The theme for this month's photo competition is "QE2 and her superstructure repairs", chosen by Hamburger.

Photos should be taken during QE2's service life, from within the ship, on deck or from shoreside. Photos must show at least some of her superstructure area that has been repaired. Photos of the actual repairs process are also welcome.

There are quite a few suitable photos already in the QE2 Story Gallery -- if you would like to use one of those for the competition, just let the Moderators know, and we can enter them for you, without removing them from their original albums.

Your description should if possible give some information about the location of the ship when the photo was taken, and the year.

Photos entered should be your own, or if not, please post them with permission of the photographer, mentioning the name for copyright reasons, and so that the owner can win the prize!

Enjoy the search! It is bound to bring many happy memories :) .

The prize this month is a Memento from QE2's 1987 Maiden Voyage, donated by Lynda Bradford.

How to enter

The album is open -- so now is the time to look for your three most interesting pictures on this theme. Wishing you happy memories as you search your photo collection to find up to three pictures to upload to the competition album.

This link will take you straight there : QE2 & her superstructure repairs.

If you have not uploaded photos to the Forum Gallery before, have a look at these instructions, and if you have any problems or would like us to move a photo from the Gallery into the competition, just contact us on admin@theqe2story.com.

If it helps, you could email the photos to the above address, and we shall gladly upload them for you.

The deadline for submitting photos is 28 February 2023. Voting will run from 1 March 2023 until 1 April 2023, until everyone's time zone has caught up with the closing date.

We look forward to seeing your photos in this competition. 

This is the fourth month of photos for the 2024 calendar. Maybe your photo will figure there!

Enjoy yourselves!  :)
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2023, 09:31 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: February 2023 : QE2 & her superstructure repairs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2023, 07:10 PM »
The theme for this month's photo competition is "QE2 and her superstructure repairs", chosen by Hamburger.

Looking forward to seeing the photos entered  for the competition.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:39 PM »
After searching through my photos I found three to enter for this month's competition.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Bob C.

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2023, 05:07 PM »
I love the "Underneath the Patches" photo.  It shows the old Q-Deck main galley garbage hatch where the trash bags used to be thrown overboard.  I used to go up the Boat deck after dinner and before the show to watch the bags drop.

Not that the practice was a good thing but with today's recycling norms, those kids of ship features no longer exist.  I believe that hatch ,and the port side too, was plated over when the CUNARD logo was moved forward?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2023, 05:21 PM »
I love the "Underneath the Patches" photo.  It shows the old Q-Deck main galley garbage hatch where the trash bags used to be thrown overboard.  I used to go up the Boat deck after dinner and before the show to watch the bags drop.

Not that the practice was a good thing but with today's recycling norms, those kids of ship features no longer exist.  I believe that hatch ,and the port side too, was plated over when the CUNARD logo was moved forward?

Thanks Bob, there hasn't been a lot of entries so far, but there is still time before closing date 28 February
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2023, 01:20 PM »

There appears to be several openings of that size in the superstructure - forward on Quarter Deck including one in almost the same location on her port side (where the Cunard logo would've been) that appear to have not been plated over or welded shut in one of my photos from July 2008. Did they use several and not just two of these openings for rubbish disposal overboard in the "old old days" of the 70s and 80s before MARPOL really laid down the law as QE2 had to abide by towards the end of the "old days" of her still sailing?

The starboard side opening that used to be in the C of CUNARD does appear to have been welded shut though from my Dad's photo from October 2004 (the second photo) as it's only faintly visible. A couple of my photos from Dubai in January 2020 show this a bit more clearly when looking a deck underneath the first window on Upper Deck after the other windows further forward on Upper Deck were filled in over the years.
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2023, 09:00 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.