Author Topic: ASK THE QE2'S CAPTAIN ! (Robin Woodall)  (Read 15828 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
ASK THE QE2'S CAPTAIN ! (Robin Woodall)
« on: Aug 14, 2009, 02:00 PM »
Robin Woodall, and his son Richard who is a forum member, have kindly agreed to allow us to compile a list of questions, which Captain Woodall will answer for us.

So, please get your thinking caps on, and post your best question or questions on this topic.  What have you always wanted to ask the captain, but been afraid to ask?  You can also contact me directly with your question for inclusion if you'd rather not post it publically here.  

THEN - at the end, I will compile and edit them down to a list that Richard can present to Robin for answers.

CLOSING DATE FOR QUESTIONS IS SUNDAY 23rd AUGUST
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2009, 08:19 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: ASK THE QE2'S CAPTAIN ! (Robin Woodall)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Excellent idea! And my thanks to the Captain for his willingness to consider questions.

My question : I noticed that QE2 (and the newer Cunard ships) usually visit the same ports again and again. There are parts of the world where QE2 never landed (as far as I know), such as Greenland, the Faroes, any West African countries, much of the West coast of Latin America, etc. Why did she not vary her routes a bit more?

Offline Jem

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2009, 05:23 AM »
My question: Were you ever allowed to fully open her engines? Is so, what speed did she achieve?

Many Thanks
Jeremy.

Offline Andrew W

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2009, 07:37 PM »
Here's my question: If you could have changed on thing in the design of QE2 what would it be and why ?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2009, 04:10 PM »
My question... I think....

Although the diesel-electric powerplant made her more powerful, efficient and flexible, did it perhaps make the ship less "interesting"?  I think this is how my father saw it.  After all, you wouldn't put a modern engine in classic car to make it more reliable...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2009, 04:23 PM »
I also think it would be nice if we could think of some questions specifically relating to Captain Woodall's time on board... anyone?

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2009, 05:13 PM »

A question for Captain Woodhall.

Please would it be possible for you to say something about the time / event that you found the most challenging during your time as Master of QE2?
And whilst on the subject of being challenged (!)
It would be really interesting to know what you would like to happen to QE2 in the future.

With many thanks - in anticipation!

Rosie

(Rob - I couldn't decide which one to ask!)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2009, 09:31 PM »
I have one.

QE2 has had loads of Famous guests over the years, have you ever met any celebrities on board whilst you were Captain?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2009, 03:45 AM »
I have a couple.

1.  Was the observation "porthole" in the hull above the props, installed to monitor the Grimm Wheels still there and available to view during your time onboard?

2.  I vividly recall hearing of the grounding off Martha's Vinard since I was working in a boatyard in Connecticut at the time.  I heard that the damage ran quite a distance along the bottom of the ship.  Are there any photos of the actual damage to the ship taken while in drydock in Boston for the temporary repairs?  

Regarding the squat aspect of the ship over the shoal, I can attest from my naval architecture classes, that QE2 was discussed at length due to this incident as well as her groundbreaking steam to diesel electric conversion.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2009, 01:34 PM »
My question would be:

"What were the biggest changes to affect passengers and/or crew during your time onboard?"

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2009, 02:26 PM »
2.  I vividly recall hearing of the grounding off Martha's Vinard since I was working in a boatyard in Connecticut at the time.  I heard that the damage ran quite a distance along the bottom of the ship.  Are there any photos of the actual damage to the ship taken while in drydock in Boston for the temporary repairs? 

Talking about this grounding in the Captains Quarters there used to metal piece cut from the hull were you could see the scratchs of the object that the ship hit.I wonder what happened to it ?.

Louis

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2009, 02:04 PM »
I keep thinking of more...

Given the choice, would you prefer open bridge wings like QE2 has, or enclosed ones like the newer ships?  Obviously for practicalities sake the enclosed ones make more sense, but isn't "something" lost?  Don't you feel cut off from the action?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #12 on: Aug 18, 2009, 05:07 PM »
I keep thinking of more...

Given the choice, would you prefer open bridge wings like QE2 has, or enclosed ones like the newer ships?  Obviously for practicalities sake the enclosed ones make more sense, but isn't "something" lost?  Don't you feel cut off from the action?

Commodore Warwick was asked this question on my last time onboard.  Despite being out in the elements, he stated that all of the older captains who had experienced the open bridge wing configuration prefer it.  Out inthe elements, they can gage the effects of the wind better.  As he stated though, there are all the newer captains coming up through the ranks who have never experienced the open bridge wing configuration.  It's not that they are spoiled with AC enclosures, its a result of having all the equipment better protected from the elements.  Too bad they could not compromise and include both somehow.  It is also pretty cool from a passenger perspective to be able to watch the captain and crew at work on QE2.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2009, 08:52 PM »
Did you ever travel as a passenger on board?  And, if so, were you able to keep your mind off what was happening "upstairs and downstairs" and just relax?

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Something I've always wondered about, I've read in all the different QE2 books, and other ships too, about this and that which got changed onboard at the request of the Captain, on QE2 for example the little Cunard Lion Crest that got added under the bridge, and the teak capping to the railings I read were Captains choices not head offices, how much freedom to do such things does a Captain have, where is the 'divide' between 'head office' and a Captain in such matters? And, what other changes/improvements have QE2 Captains made to the ship, and did you make any?
The Virtual Staff Captain

Captain P F Wright (22 August 1999)

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Captains of the QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 3731
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:28 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Death of QE2 Captain Perkins

Replies: 22
Views: 5306
Last post Feb 02, 2021, 01:11 PM
by cunardqueen
Captain A J Hutcheson, RD RNR (13 March 1982)

Views: 2123
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:40 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Captain R Wadsworth (15 May 1983)

Views: 2013
Last post Aug 18, 2013, 11:39 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Captain Ian McNaught