Author Topic: Cunard Fleet to be reflagged  (Read 62190 times)

Offline Andy F

Cunard Fleet to be reflagged
« on: Oct 19, 2011, 02:09 PM »
Not completely unexpected but still a shock to hear that Cunard have today announced they are to reflag all 3 vessels under the Bermudian flag from next spring.  The full story can be read here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15366562

I just hope the additional revenue from weddings on board will offset the disgruntled hitherto travelling faithful, who fully embraced the traditions and understood what Cunard was about.  Of course there is more to this than purely the opportunity to hold weddings at sea, which to be honest is a smokescreen and a poor one at that for we all know the true motivator behind this move is driven purely by cost.

What is it that makes us return time and again to the golden lion?  Once it was QE2 of course yet in the past 3 years since we bade our farewells, the travelling public (me included), continue to come back.  I can't speak for others but for me, I was happy with the service and felt I was still getting value for my money but above all, it was the feeling that you were being part of British maritime history, a history that is now slowly and systemically being ripped apart.  Do the past 171 years count for anything?  It seems not, for a line that prides itself on its rich heritage, proud traditions and much lauded 'Britishness' is rapidly in danger of becoming just another shipping line I regret to say.
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2011, 09:01 PM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Online cunardqueen

Re: Cunard Fleet to be reflagged
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2011, 03:45 PM »
I for one am disgusted by this move, Having sailed with Cunard over a number of years, it was always nice to see the name Southampton on the stern of QE2, Ok these new ships are not the same but they still fly the traditions of history and lamented their past links.The brochures ram this down your throats.
Ok so l havent sailed on this new ships, and what little respect remained for Cunard/Carnival has just left. I was forever told just get over it,and maybe l should.

Not only can Cunard now gain form the increase in wedding business, but they can now emply the foreign crew at an even lower pay scale, or was this always part of the plan l do wonder?

Now consider, how will they remove the names Southampton from the stern of each ship. I do sincerely hope that if Carnival have any thought it will be done with perhaps some respect, Then again l wont be at least surprised if they take a blow torch and strip the letters one by one, heck why not arrange yet another Queens Rendezvous, sell tickets and call it "The day Cunard Died" If perhaps they had kept one ship registered in Southampton, it would be something.

Call me old fashioned,But to me any Cunard Queen should bear the name Southampton on the stern as its sails proudly down Southampton water, given the new branding l prey they leave under the cover of darkness. What must those residents in Southampton think today.... :( 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2011, 03:49 PM »
Truly a sad day and I have to say for me, more diminishing of the brand.  Well at least one Cunarder will still have Southampton on her stern, although painted over.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online cunardqueen

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I for one am disgusted by this move, Having sailed with Cunard over a number of years, it was always nice to see the name Southampton on the stern of QE2, Ok these new ships are not the same but they still fly the traditions of history and lamented their past links.The brochures ram this down your throats.
Ok so l havent sailed on this new ships, and what little respect remained for Cunard/Carnival has just left. I was forever told just get over it,and maybe l should.

Not only can Cunard now gain form the increase in wedding business, but they can now emply the foreign crew at an even lower pay scale, or was this always part of the plan l do wonder?

Now consider, how will they remove the names Southampton from the stern of each ship. I do sincerely hope that if Carnival have any thought it will be done with perhaps some respect, Then again l wont be at least surprised if they take a blow torch and strip the letters one by one, heck why not arrange yet another Queens Rendezvous, sell tickets and call it "The day Cunard Died" If perhaps they had kept one ship registered in Southampton, it would be something.

Call me old fashioned,But to me any Cunard Queen should bear the name Southampton on the stern as its sails proudly down Southampton water, given the new branding l prey they leave under the cover of darkness. What must those residents in Southampton think today.... :( 

Thoroughly disgusted by this move as well.  That Celebrity Silhouette cruise is sounding more appealing than ever.  Cunard Brand loyalty...gone...as you say...gutted!
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2011, 05:52 PM »
From the daily mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2041956/Cunard-register-ships-abroad-cash-weddings-sea-market.html

Cunard are considering keeping one of the ships with the Southampton name and keeping it as a British ship. I hope its Queen Mary 2 that will not be registered as she is something very proud to represent us as a country. Its still a shame though what is happening considering Cunard bang on about their "heritage" ALL the time.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2011, 07:20 PM »
What do QE2 and the current Cunard fleet now have in common?  They are all flying flags of convenience  At least QE2 will still have her SOUTHAMPTON letters welded on!

This is just depressing - both for Britain, and for us ship enthusiasts.  In what way are any of these ships now British? This was the very last way in which they were at all.

There is cost saving, and there is cost saving - this is taking things too far - what on earth will they think of next to extract even more money from these ships?  Its nothing to do with weddings, it can't be, its too significant a step for that - I would possibly believe this if they did it on one ship - but I'm certain they are doing it all three, and am certain its for far more businesslike reasons.

This is the first time I've felt so annoyed since they named their new bog standard Italian-American cruise ship after 2 epic and very British legends.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Quote from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15366562

Sailing under foreign flags or "flags of convenience", as they are known also allows shipping companies to employ crew members who operate under different working practices, at cheaper rates.

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2011, 07:27 PM »
Among all of us on here, we are all quite sane and know what Cunard is all about, nearly everyone has sailed at some stage on the Cunard ships, so what better perspective than to open a poll for our thoughts on Weddings at sea on Cunard
Are we in favour, Not in favour, will it change your thoughts on the company.

As for the reflagging why dont we start another poll so that within the confines of the forum we can get an idea of the true feelings, Joe public l fear isnt really bothered, But the members on here must have some views/thoughts and it might be interesting to find out from those that sail what the thoughts are.. Now how do we start a poll..?   

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2011, 07:35 PM »
And another thought.

QE2 will be the last liner, the last Cunard ship, to serve her full career with the name of a British port on her stern.
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 08:05 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Like many I am incensed by this.  No disrespect intended to our commonwealth cousins but if Cunard really do not want to be associated with the UK then do the honourable thing and remove the Queen prefix from their ships and all reference to the great British traditions then see how you fare.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Please can someone clarify what the change in terms and conditions means for the crew et al,
firstly, as things will stand following the EU ruling on equality of pay,
and secondly, what this will mean for them when the ships are flagged under the Bermudian name?

Also when the change of registration takes place will there be any significant tax advantage for the company?

In terms of classification, will the ships still be registered with Lloyds?

Thanks!
Rosie.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2011, 08:08 PM »
Like many I am incensed by this.  No disrespect intended to our commonwealth cousins but if Cunard really do not want to be associated with the UK then do the honourable thing and remove the Queen prefix from their ships and all reference to the great British traditions then see how you fare.

FANTASTIC Andy!  As a Cunard regular - write to them and ask just that!!!

Offline R80OOP

« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2011, 08:12 PM »
I am , like many, totally disgusted, bewildered and dismayed by this move.  probably a move made by Ted Dingle !! the infamous  man who hated the QE2 and couldn't wait to see the back of her - since the days of the rivalry between Cunard and P&O.  My intention is to visit the Carnival Office ( Carnival House )  in Southampton tomorrow and vocally air my views - not only as a Diamond world club member but also as a share holder in carnival.
As ever the brand has been diluted beyond recognition. I had high hopes when Carnival took Cunard on as a prestigious British brand.  My hopes have diminished - with their appalling handling of the QE2 sale to this!!
You were always able to have your wedding vows renewed on board - all they are doing is making a fast buck out of a brand which represents all things GB .  They should stick with the Las Vegas white chapel weddings for their Carnival shippings - if not Princess brand and leave the Cunard flag registered in the UK - can you imagine no red duster/ensign??????
It makes me sick - I think I should sell my shares to RCI or NCL and we know how diluted a brand they are!!
Sorry but this has ended my long association with Cunard - I was brought up with the brand, sailed with them since I was three - Hamilton plastered over their hull is so not right!!!!  Liverpool and Southampton have a rightful place in history with Cunard.
Thanks Ted Dingle and thank you Carnival - Again I always looked up to Ted Arison for his forevision into shipping and helping to make cruising a vogue word - but I believe that Mickey has lost his direction regarding Cunard!!!  Leave her alone you did enough damage by casting off the great Lady  ( QE2) now they   are damaging Cunard beyond recognition - Trafalgar House seems like a lamb compared to this outrageous interfering.....

Apologies to all for rant!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2011, 08:22 PM by R80OOP »

Offline R80OOP

« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2011, 08:15 PM »
oops menat to say Diamond!! - how pedantic?? lol

Cunard's QE2 website

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 17
Views: 5800
Last post May 31, 2015, 09:30 AM
by Brandon Sterkel
More of my Cunard files - Southampton to Rotterdam aboard Queen Elizabeth

Started by shipnshoreBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 4
Views: 1131
Last post Jan 14, 2022, 12:37 PM
by shipnshore
Jimmy Saville and Cunard

Started by tdicksonBoard Cunard

Replies: 16
Views: 6036
Last post Nov 26, 2012, 09:38 PM
by Andy F
Animals travelling Cunard

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Cunard