Author Topic: QE2 Abstract Log website launched  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Sam Warwick

QE2 Abstract Log website launched
« on: Dec 17, 2021, 09:06 AM »
My father Commodore Ronald Warwick and I are pleased to announce our new website QE2 Abstract Log at https://qe2abstractlog.com.

The website is the culmination of two decades of ongoing research and analysis. Forty years of QE2 log book records are combined with other sources including the Warwick Family archive and QE2 book, captain’s diaries and various public records. It has been made available for the benefit of all maritime history enthusiasts, researchers and QE2 aficionados.

A popular feature of my other site (www.qe2.org.uk established 1995) has always been the annual itineraries. Myself and visitors to the QE2 Story forum still get frequent requests for pre-1996 itineraries and voyage abstracts. The complete set of voyage itineraries can now be found on the QE2 Abstract Log. These are the logged itineraries and therefore more accurate than brochure itineraries.

Other features of the QE2 Abstract Log include:
  • Abstract of Log card generator. Styled on the popular Cunard postcards that sadly ceased in the late 1960s, the log cards include passage events, distances and speed.
  • A selection of reports with interesting statistics such as maiden calls, fastest/furthest/longest passages, Transatlantic Crossings and Panama Canal transits etc.
  • Details of every port of call with maps and dates of all calls.
  • Captain statistics and timeline.
More features are planned for the future and feedback is welcome.

Commodore Ronald Warwick & Sam Warwick, December 2021.

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2021, 11:37 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Chris Thompson

Re: QE2 Abstract Log website launched
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2021, 01:34 PM »
A HUGE vote of thanks for putting this together! Really like the detailed records.
I was finally able to re-construct my travels on the QE2 - 334 days and 153,974 miles travelled....
Pretty sure I'm on the low side compared to other members ;D
Ant chance of re-building the logs of other Cunard ships - Vista and Saga etc?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Thank you to you both for your amazing new site.  Its absolutely outstanding.  I was able to learn more about the trips I was on, and I can see how it will answer so many questions that people have posted on this forum over the years.

I hope everyone will post here with all their findings from the Log !
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2021, 05:05 PM »
Here's an idea folks, get busy on the abstract log page and total up your miles, maybe we can get a Million mile club etc going. Would love to see Commodore Warwick's total!

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2021, 10:22 PM »
I've had a look; one comment to add...

September 4th 2002, the listing says "at sea" but she did make one of those "administrative stops" off Gibraltar that morning for a couple of hours.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2021, 11:10 PM »
A wonderful resource! Thank you for putting it together Ron and Sam! It's enabled filling in some of the gaps for trips I did with my parents and provided detail we only really would've got onboard during said voyages. Your itinerary section of QE2.org has also been invaluable for some years now too given camera meta data isn't always accurate for example.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Sam Warwick

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2021, 12:35 AM »
I've had a look; one comment to add...

September 4th 2002, the listing says "at sea" but she did make one of those "administrative stops" off Gibraltar that morning for a couple of hours.

Peter, the entry in the log for 4-sep-2002 does state Gibraltar (e.g https://qe2abstractlog.com/itinerary/2002). Where are you seeing 'At Sea'? If you are referring to the entry in the planned itinerary at https://www.qe2.org.uk/itinerary_2002.html then this is a good example of what I said above about the actual voyages differing.

Sam

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2021, 10:46 PM »
Peter, the entry in the log for 4-sep-2002 does state Gibraltar (e.g https://qe2abstractlog.com/itinerary/2002). Where are you seeing 'At Sea'? If you are referring to the entry in the planned itinerary at https://www.qe2.org.uk/itinerary_2002.html then this is a good example of what I said above about the actual voyages differing.

Sam

Ah yes, so it does... does this difference mean the administrative stop was added at a later date after the voyage was arranged?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Bob C.

« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2021, 05:45 PM »
This website is fantastic!  Answers so many questions I've had about the '69 season and the 70's.

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Fantastic!
What a wonderful website. I'm impressed.
Congratulations!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2021, 02:44 PM »
Strange tales on the QE2 – from drunken crew to a breakdown caused by jellyfish

A former QE2 captain and his son have set up a website dedicated to the history of the famous ocean liner – here are some of the highlights

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/articles/weird-wonderful-tales-qe2-drunken-crew-breakdown-caused-jellyfish/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2023, 01:13 AM »
I have just discovered this website and it is brilliant - thank you very much Sam and Ron.

Would it be possible to provide daily runs if these are available - particularly for the Transatlantics?

Gary

Offline Sam Warwick

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2023, 09:42 AM »
Would it be possible to provide daily runs if these are available - particularly for the Transatlantics?

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your kind words. The daily distances were recorded in the hand-written deck logs which have not been digitized.

Sam

Chris Frame's website - ChrisCunard.com - and related Cunard books

Started by Andy FBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 39
Views: 13882
Last post Jul 14, 2013, 11:46 AM
by Chris
QE2 Website Links

Started by The QE2 Story AdministratorBoard Other QE2 Websites

Replies: 0
Views: 10995
Last post Aug 30, 2010, 01:16 PM
by The QE2 Story Administrator
QM2 Website Links

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 1
Views: 16835
Last post Jul 08, 2011, 07:28 AM
by bobso
Cunard's QE2 website

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 17
Views: 5921
Last post May 31, 2015, 09:30 AM
by Brandon Sterkel
Beyondships Website

Started by pete cainBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 8
Views: 3489
Last post Apr 25, 2009, 01:22 AM
by Andy F