Author Topic: Favourite lighthouses  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Favourite lighthouses
« on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Storm Barra is currently battering Ireland, with major damage and outages.

Fascinating video here of ships seeking shelter in Bantry Bay in Co. Kerry in the south-west of Ireland :

Some lighthouse maintenance workers had to stay on Fastnet and sit out the storm, recording videos of the huge waves :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/lighthouse-workers-end-up-with-front-row-seats-for-storm-barra-1.4749395

Online Chris Thompson

Re: Favourite lighthouses
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2021, 12:39 PM »
The Fastnet light is a tough old lighthouse, in 1985 it was struck by a 157 ft high rogue wave and has recorded wind gusts of up to 119 mph. Always been fascinated by lighthouses and visit them if possible. Most of the ones on this side of the pond are rather utilitarian and made of steel.

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2021, 01:11 PM »
There was a series on Brit TV recently about Lighthouses and their construction, maybe somebody could post the link for those who didn't see it.

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2021, 08:45 PM »
The Fastnet light is a tough old lighthouse, in 1985 it was struck by a 157 ft high rogue wave and has recorded wind gusts of up to 119 mph. Always been fascinated by lighthouses and visit them if possible. Most of the ones on this side of the pond are rather utilitarian and made of steel.

I wonder which side of which pond you have in mind? I can think of beautiful lighthouses on various sides of various ponds, so perhaps we could collect our favourite lighthouses, found here and thereā€¦
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2021, 08:20 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2021, 08:23 AM »
Beautiful photo on Facebook by Mick Cerigh, of the Hook Lighthouse and Dunmore Lighthouse (both in the south of Ireland) in the one picture.

https://web.facebook.com/HookLighthouse/photos/a.525572950874897/4463303970435089/

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Thanks for setting up this topic, Isabelle.  I am certainly looking forward to seeing posts of favourite lighthouses. I have been interested in Robert Louis 'Stevenson, poet and author for many years, so it was with particular interest that I had read "The Lighthouse Stevensons" by Bella Bathurst, that tells the story of the building of Lighthouses by his ancestors including his grandfather, father and uncle and the hardships endured by the brave men who build lighthouses around Scotland. 

The Cloch Lighthouse, near Gourock is one I have taken photos of when sailing past on the Waverley.  I believe it was sold to be converted to a house. There are some beautiful images of the Cloch Lighthouse

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2021, 09:47 AM »
That is lovely, Lynda! I too have just gone back through some of my photos and found that I have quite a few pictures of fine lighthouses, which I shall add bit by bit.

But to start us off, here is a link to another thread, about the Fastnet Lighthouse and QM2 :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=1931.0

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Thanks for setting up this topic, Isabelle.  I am certainly looking forward to seeing posts of favourite lighthouses. I have been interested in Robert Louis 'Stevenson, poet and author for many years, so it was with particular interest that I had read "The Lighthouse Stevensons" by Bella Bathurst, that tells the story of the building of Lighthouses by his ancestors including his grandfather, father and uncle and the hardships endured by the brave men who build lighthouses around Scotland. 

The Cloch Lighthouse, near Gourock is one I have taken photos of when sailing past on the Waverley.  I believe it was sold to be converted to a house. There are some beautiful images of the Cloch Lighthouse

Cloch Lighthouse was built in 1797 and was designed by Thomas Smith and his son in law Robert Stevenson.
When the Cloch became automated in the 60s the former lighthouse keepers house was split into two dwellings.
Friends of ours stay in the downriver facing half which you can see in Lynda's excellent photo.
The original lamp remains in the tower but is not seen by many sadly which is a shame as it is in excellent condition -  today the light is provided via a pole on the outside.
Responsibility for the tower falls to ClydePort whilst the houses are privately owned.

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Thanks for the information Gav. How "cool" to live in the lighthouse keeper's house.  Do they have access to the lighthouse tower?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2021, 10:11 AM »
Thanks for the information Gav. How "cool" to live in the lighthouse keeper's house.  Do they have access to the lighthouse tower?

Thanks Lynda - sadly they dont get access as the tower is still property of Clydeport but my mate Al has been able to get a look when they were in maintaining the tower one time a little while ago.
The house itself has taken a little bit of work as it hadnt received a lot of tlc when they bought it but they are getting there. The original keepers house which was a store after the current house was built - they are being restored for holiday homes.

I think I have a photo of the old light somewhere - I will try to find it

Gav

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2021, 01:01 PM »
Many moons ago me and the missus were on one of our trips to the UK, we visited the Lizard Lighthouse in Cornwall, beautiful spot. The old light keepers cottages were up for sale at that time, entertained a few fantasies about turning them into a Hotel!