Author Topic: Favourite Meal/Dish/Drink/Wine?  (Read 21339 times)

KEV

Favourite Meal/Dish/Drink/Wine?
« on: Apr 14, 2009, 11:26 PM »
What was yours?

I Did particularly rate the Beef Wellington-done just right in Mauretania
And Salmon and Dill scrambled eggs for breakfast

and......hot milk, shortbread and Glenfiddich brought to the room at 3am after a night in the Yacht club!-slept well

Offline Twynkle

Re: Favourite Meal/Dish/Drink/Wine?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2009, 11:42 PM »

Good thinking Kev!

Fave Meal - all of them!
Tea, Dinner and Breakfast all tied first!
Dish - Fish, closely followed by everything else!
Drink - Wine!
Wine - could only just afford the least expensive!
If it had been possible - good white burgundy, best claret, followed by Montbazillac with pud!

(Being unable to eat the delicious looking puds,
Desmond,our great waiter used to bring me a salad instead - a different one for every night!)

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2009, 11:50 PM »
Hmm, well for me it would have to be any beef/steak main followed by dessert; any dessert, in fact all of them!  Sublime! 

I know what you mean about the wine though Rosie.  Mrs F would invariably choose a bottle each evening (at the lower end admittedly), and as you can't have a Lady drinking alone, it was only right and proper that I did the Gentlemanly thing and helped her out; after all, it would be rude not to lol!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2009, 08:25 AM »
What can i say been a crewmember we just eat our normal food in the crewmess.But since i had a girlfriend in the Princess Grill i got to sample must of the stuff on the menu.Beef wellington,sirlion steaks,tournedo of beef rossini,coq au vin and the grilled fresh lobster were a must for me.From the lunch menu i loved everthing.Been a restaurant barkeeper i got to try all the wine menu.For drinking i liked my armagnac lafite rothschild,macallan 25 years old and the malts too.Lunch time drinks was for sure my bloody mary well spiced or a bombay gin tonic.This was a NO NO but one of the best things is to wonder-you must know when and how do it-around the kitchen galleys and have a feast.(the best was the Queens Grill galley).

Louis

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:30 AM »
The best I ever had was the chocolate Soufflé in the Britannia Grill. It was a special order, not one of the soufflés that are on the menu normally. It was so good that I requested it again the next night! I also ordered a chocolate soufflé in the Queens Grill but the Britannia Grill beat that.

My best savoury dish would have been a Beef Wellington - again the Britannia Grill's was far better than the Queens Grill's.

My favourite wine would have been the Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon. That was incredibly cheap given the quality of the wine.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2009, 11:41 AM »

My favourite wine would have been the Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon. That was incredibly cheap given the quality of the wine.

I agree absolutely!  It was superb.  I still buy it sometimes, although I have to say it did taste better when seated in Britannia Grill eating with original QE2 cutlery than it does at home sprawled on the sofa!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2009, 02:56 PM »
I still buy it sometimes

So do we when Tesco have a special offer on! I've actually got a dozen bottles in at the moment (I don't think that it's as nice, it's a later vintage)

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2009, 06:05 PM »
I was getting concerned for a moment but delighted to hear I wasn't alone as the good old WB Yellow was my choice also (well, Mrs F's to be precise, for I just paid for it and helped her out lol).  Tasted pretty good in the Caronia also!

Got through a fair few bottles on QM2 also, so much so that we run out mid-cruise  >:(  Don't think we were entirely to blame though  ::)

The Lowlander

« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Best thing was Queens Grill chocolate brownie, for some reason usually on the menu on the first night of a cruise. Suspect it would be same quality no matter the restaurant however. Never thought to have it as a special order, pity it's too late now.

Hot chocolate before retiring each evening/morning made by Mimi the night stewardess was always a favourite, a real QE2 habit for me. She would get worried if I didn't call for the order on the odd occasion and even admitted to looking under the door to see if the light was on and that I was in and ok. Brilliant!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2009, 08:38 PM »
the good old WB Yellow was my choice also

We found that it improved greatly once it had been open for 24 hours. We got to the point where we would order it to be opened in advance so that we drank it at its best. One night our wine waiter suggested decanting it and that worked just as well. When we drink it at home we try to open it 24 hours in advance.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:13 PM »
We found that it improved greatly once it had been open for 24 hours.
There's absolutely no chance of Mrs F leaving it that long lol!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:14 PM »
We found that it improved greatly once it had been open for 24 hours.

I also will never, ever find out if thats true!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 07:11 PM »

Five pounds at Morrisons just now, and 7 in Sainsburys!

Hic!

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Last evening I enjoyed my final bottle of CUNARD Port for Two brought home from QE2
I sat with my eyes closed for a moment while sipping and pictured myself back in the Chart Room

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Five pounds at Morrisons just now, and 7 in Sainsburys!

Tesco have had it in at £4.50! I laid a small stock in  ;)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 05:16 PM »
I loved the chilled fruit soups, the Baked Alaska & parade, well you either love or hate that.. the steaks/burger snacks in the pavillion, l would kill for a BLT sandwich as for the Dinners, where on earth do you start. They seem to have the portion size down to a fine art,but l do recall a time when the portions were quite small, and perhaps if you have two puddings well you deserve to feel stuffed.
 Some folks l know used to cheat and perhaps glance the menu on display in the morning, for me nothing could beat the enjoyment of sitting at the table and wondering what on earth the menu would hold for me that night.

Casting my mind back to my first trip in 1986 and sitting in the newcomers section, part of my first adventurous meal l ordered from the menu was "Chilled Gazpacho Andaluz soup". Now you would think it was clear what it was,My first shock was that it was cold (honest !!) But all 5 of us had that.Being brought up to clean my plate l really did struggle to finish the soup and darent so much as leave half a bowl. the rest of the table did voice comments that they didnt like it, even now l can still taste it, yuk yuk yuk.The waiters were both English and very "gay" ;) and must have known l didnt care for it as they asked, with a broad smile, lf l wanted a second plateful....One of them did say afterwards that lf l didnt like anything just say and l could order something else, but that in my young head did seem extravagant

Back then l couldnt get my head round the fact that all the food was free, having got over the soup escapade it did make me wonder what on earth l was letting myself in for for the next 10 nights 

Never been a fish lover, l have a thing about bones,choked on one when l was small..(probably a touch of the Queen Mum in me there) cant enjoy a fish for sake of finding a bone and when l do find a bone thats me finished. The only time l risk it and throw caution to the wind ::) is when they do fish n chips with mushy peas onboard, thankfully they have never needed to cart me away .
 Another time, looking back through photos we had  a Beef Wellington carved tableside and that was in Mauretania.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 06:25 PM »
From my trip in 1987:-

Bread rolls!  Freshly baked.  To tear open with your hands (a new one on me).  I think at the time these were far better than any bread you could get in normal UK shops.

SORBET!  The first place I ever had it, and I thought it was wonderful!!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 07:55 PM »
Bread rolls!  Freshly baked.  To tear open with your hands (a new one on me). 
You mean you tore them open ;) l used to sit there and ever so carefully try to slice them, isnt that why we have a side knife more often than not it would go all soft in my hands and squishy (please no comments) and l would think why not tear them open, but that never seemed the right thing to do..
Then of course the butter was another subject, always just soft enough to spread, but then the butter knife that was used just to transport the butter from dish to roll, it was never used to spread the butter was it ???, of course some folks would use the butter knife for spreading it all over the place, so hence here we are back at the side knife, just think if Cunard hadnt supplied them we would all be tearing our bread rolls and spreading the butter with the butter knife and what a simpler world it would be ...

When the waiter offered me a roll for the past 22 years l have always said " anything but please no cheese" the salted ones were lovely, the seeded ones even better but the brown   wheat rolls l always felt were a tad to healthy, and on a soup night l always had two, now you mention it, l had two most nights.. and as for the iced water, has anybody ever had to top their glass up, the waiters always seemed to know exactly when to top you up. 
 Rob did you ever try the tropical sorbet, that was awesome
(all this over a bread roll  ;))

whatever next, confessions over a bread roll lol
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Kindlychap

« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2009, 01:59 AM »
It was a late addition to the menu, and I had it as a special order more than once, but Alana had a superb dish of scallops wrapped with Palma ham with Pork Belly. Wonderful. On one of my special orders they thought that Kirsten wanted one, so I had to (well, it would be rude not to) eat two....

My final meal on QE2 was Caviar, Tomato Soup, the above dish, and Crepes Suzettes. The latter flamed tableside by the wonderful Denis Burchall. Can't recall what I was drinking... But my "regular" orders were Lynch Bages, l'Evangile, d'Yquem and Giscours. Although there was a wonderful Sancerre - the Pascal Joliver (spelling?) that we drank loads of too.....

Those days are gone.  >:( Reality returns..... >:(

Matthew
RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Although there was a wonderful Sancerre

Yes,i remember the Sancerre-wonderfull wine. ;)

Which was your favourite public room? (vote in our 1st poll!)

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 22
Views: 5219
Last post Jan 26, 2013, 12:32 PM
by PaulInuk
What was your favourite time of day on board QE2?

Started by TwynkleBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 17
Views: 2710
Last post Mar 19, 2011, 03:18 PM
by Janice Naylor
Favourite Liners and Ships

Started by Adam HodsonBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 56
Views: 12415
Last post Jul 07, 2020, 04:32 PM
by Anubhav Mitra
Favourite things about QE2