Author Topic: Exclusive QE2 Onboard Photos October 2017  (Read 14548 times)

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Exclusive QE2 Onboard Photos October 2017
« Reply #60 on: Nov 27, 2017, 10:59 PM »
So, it's a sort of halfway house between what we know and what they originally intended?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #61 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:12 AM »
So, it's a sort of halfway house between what we know and what they originally intended?

What I'd argue/debate is that if they remade her interiors to what they were when she was built she would not be a faithful QE2 and instead be a mashup of what she was over the years, also being the case if they alter her to original appearance in some areas externally. She would become a partial facsimile and not authentic, something I strongly disagree with and I applaud their current direction/stance of refreshing her interiors as they would do in most of the refits and avoiding temptation to mess with her too much (lifeboats/tenders/davits being excluded of course for reasons I now understand). I think she should be kept as much as possible like she was at the end with Cunard anything else is prone to being a hotchpotch of Disney type approximation etc.

Thomas
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #62 on: Nov 28, 2017, 02:40 AM »
That's a good point; didn't Dubai say originally that they intended to restore the interiors to as close to her "as built" condition as they could?

So... how do these new interiors compare to the originals, rather than to the ones we mostly remember?

Doesn't look like the 736 Club to me... ;)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #63 on: Nov 28, 2017, 08:36 AM »
The photos have been taken by a member of the workforce on the ship that is the reason they are not for sharing. The official photos will show the finished effect with tablecloths lamps etc. We are just getting a little insight at the moment thanks to Louis’ friend.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

« Reply #64 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Doesn't look like the 736 Club to me... ;)

Don't see the Coffee Shop either.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #65 on: Nov 28, 2017, 04:15 PM »
What I really like about these photos is that she is being cleaned up, things look shiny, and it definitely looks like work has been done.  I could not be happier and I wish every good wish to our beloved ship and a big thank you to those who appear to be helping her out in starting a new chapter in her life.  I so hope things work out for her !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #66 on: Nov 28, 2017, 06:00 PM »
That's a good point; didn't Dubai say originally that they intended to restore the interiors to as close to her "as built" condition as they could?

As we know what Dubai say and what they do,they are two entirely different things.

Lets be honest, on here we are a small band , The owners will have their own plans and mindset for dealing with the QE2 project. Clearly they have no wish nor desire to share any information on here. And really, why should they  ? Im quite sure they are probably not giving two hoots about us, and if they are, well they have a very strange way of showing us so. Perhaps its their culture...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #67 on: Dec 01, 2017, 09:45 AM »
The walking area on Upper Deck between the G-Stairway and Yacht Club October 2017

Offline pete cain

« Reply #68 on: Dec 01, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Thnx for posting Louis, as they say every little helps

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #69 on: Dec 01, 2017, 12:56 PM »
I echo Pete's sentiments and I actually like most of the carpets I see!

Great to see these spaces well lit and in good order - the work carried out has obviously been in the right places.

Gav

Offline pete cain

« Reply #70 on: Dec 01, 2017, 04:32 PM »
just to follow up , those display cabinets need their 'stuff' back in them where they belong...

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #71 on: Dec 01, 2017, 04:38 PM »
just to follow up , those display cabinets need their 'stuff' back in them where they belong...

That stuff has found a new place in the terminal building

Offline pete cain

« Reply #72 on: Dec 01, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Exactly what I was getting at Louis

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #73 on: Dec 01, 2017, 04:42 PM »
They are ok in that terminal building