Author Topic: V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style  (Read 8921 times)

Online Alex Tarry

Re: V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2018, 10:07 AM »
We visited the exhibition last week and it's excellent, containing furniture and items from many great ships, including QE2, Normandie, United States and Queen Mary.  There is also a fantastic model of Queen Ellizabeth and a huge screen showing the QE2 sailing across it...if I can work out how I could post some pictures, well worth a visit and yes the book is great too...

Offline Robbo

« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2018, 07:04 PM »
I decided to blow caution to the wind and booked up to attend the conference on Friday 02 March and the exhibition on Wednesday 14 March. Must be keen as I'll have to take the 04.15am coach to London to get to London in time for the start of the conference at a reasonable cost!
Looking forward to it!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Tonight I received my copy of the stunning book that goes along with this exhibition.......

If you are thinking about ordering the book that accompanies the Ocean Liners speed and style exhibition, go to the QE2 Story shop and follow the link to Amazon. Ordering through the shop helps to generate funds for the running of the forum. 

The QE2 Story shop page:
https://www.theqe2story.com/QE2Shop.php

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Robbo

« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Bruce Peter has drawn attention to the Conference, which will happen on 2 March :

https://www.vam.ac.uk/event/km0dPZm8/ocean-liners-conference

Looks like an excellent event not to be missed if you can be in the area on the day!

Unfortunately ....well perhaps fortunately, ...the conference was POSTPONED due to the very bad weather conditions last Friday. A new date is yet to be announced. The V&A will honour all previously booked tickets for last Friday 02 March 2018 or offer to refund the cost of the ticket

Hopefully I shall be able to reschedule once the new date is announced

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2018, 05:40 PM »
I have visited the exhibition in London today and I would certainly recommend it.  I will also be posting some pictures later on - possibly at the weekend.  I see the huge screen with QE2 sailing across it is mentioned up the thread, but what does not seem to have been mentioned is that it is arranged as if you were watching her sail past from the deck of another ship - an excellent and imaginative touch.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I decided it would be unfair to make you lot wait a few days for it... here it is...

It's not just the ship that moves.  The waves move, the exhaust moves, the size of the ship changes according to distance... it's so real that you just have to go and see it for yourselves.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2018, 08:05 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:06 PM »
It's not just QE2 that sails past either...

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:09 PM »
By the way... just for good measure, here's an actual wooden pattern for one of the smaller parts of QE2's original steam turbines...

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2018, 12:15 AM »
Thanks very much, Peter ! Great photos and description !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Robbo

« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Unfortunately ....well perhaps fortunately, ...the conference was POSTPONED due to the very bad weather conditions last Friday. A new date is yet to be announced. The V&A will honour all previously booked tickets for last Friday 02 March 2018 or offer to refund the cost of the ticket

Hopefully I shall be able to reschedule once the new date is announc
New date announced as being Friday April 27th ... fortunately I shall be able to attend ....looking forward to it

Offline Robbo

« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2018, 11:59 AM »
I decided it would be unfair to make you lot wait a few days for it... here it is...

It's not just the ship that moves.  The waves move, the exhaust moves, the size of the ship changes according to distance... it's so real that you just have to go and see it for yourselves.
The whole exhibition was just fantastic but the sail past by the QE2 (and other Liners) was very imaginative ...loved it !

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #26 on: Apr 04, 2018, 02:02 PM »
New date announced as being Friday April 27th ... fortunately I shall be able to attend ....looking forward to it

Hi Robbo and Peter,
Thank you and Peter for the info - just to mention that  the Conference on April 27th is specifically for "BSL users only..." ( British Sign Language). 
Could be very helpful to people who couldn't hear the sound effects etc.
https://www.vam.ac.uk/event/eXRbVLXy/bsl-talk-ocean-liners-bsl-users-only-april-2018
Rosie.

Offline Robbo

« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Hi Robbo and Peter,
Thank you and Peter for the info - just to mention that  the Conference on April 27th is specifically for "BSL users only..." ( British Sign Language). 
Could be very helpful to people who couldn't hear the sound effects etc.
https://www.vam.ac.uk/event/eXRbVLXy/bsl-talk-ocean-liners-bsl-users-only-april-2018
Rosie.
Rosie ...the "talk" that you have linked above for BSL users only is different from the day conference originally scheduled for 02 March but postponed due to the snow.
Your link refers to an hours talk in the evening which is free admission
The day Conference also on Friday 27 April starts at 10am and finishes at 5pm and costs £30 for admission

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Thank you, Robbo

The programme does look interesting!
https://vanda-production-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/2018/03/14/12/51/38/0fad93c0-640b-4aff-8bef-e9995d8aa97a/Ocean Liners - Web Programme.pdf

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.