Author Topic: V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style  (Read 8920 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style
« Reply #30 on: Oct 01, 2018, 06:32 PM »
Well I had a very nice surprise for my birthday - tickets to the V&A Dundee to see this exhibit!

Wow.  That's all I can say, wow.  For about 2 hours, I was immersed in a lovely world of high quality luxurious design from various countries over the past 100 or so years.  It was all fabulous - and right up my alley.  QE2 played a part, yes, but all the other stuff too, was all the stuff that interests me about the liners.  My favourite ships - QE, QM, QE2 and Normandie all had bit parts to play, SS United States had a big input too.

The whole thing was so cleverly put together - and having bought the book - when you flick through it -you realise there's actually a huge number of exhibits put together, it just doesn't feel like it.

I would recommend the exhibition highly.

As for the much lauded V&A Dundee building itself?  I am not a fan.  A huge amount of space is given over to 2 cafes, a shop and, well, nothing really.  It instantly reminded me of the Riverside museum in Glasgow - another frustrating building which looks good - but appears completely unfit for purpose (and ended up with a huge number of exhibits now in permanent storage).

I'd also like to know if European money was used for V&A Dundee - if it does, they're not mentioning it.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #31 on: Oct 01, 2018, 07:24 PM »
Sounds great Rob, we saw the exhibition in London, loved it too!

V&A London is well established, fit for purpose and filled to the gunwales with all kinds of stuff...not sure who paid for it, but it's free now...

...unless it's a temporary exhibition...

To my mind ocean liners, like classic cars, are snap shots of the contemporary design from their era and origin...subsequently frozen in time...interesting.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #32 on: Oct 01, 2018, 08:29 PM »
I am visiting Dundee this weekend and have booked for the Ocean Liners Exhibition, which I am looking forward to seeing.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #33 on: Oct 01, 2018, 09:49 PM »
I am visiting Dundee this weekend and have booked for the Ocean Liners Exhibition, which I am looking forward to seeing.
You will not be disappointed.

Online Scott Ebersold

« Reply #34 on: Oct 02, 2018, 02:27 AM »
I'm so jelly! I wish this exhibition would come stateside!!! (....starts looking at flights to Scotland....)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #35 on: Oct 09, 2018, 11:17 AM »
I visited the V&A Dundee at the weekend to see the Ocean Liners, Speed and Style exhibition, which I enjoyed.  There is a good range of exhibits that tell the story of the ocean liner. I was particular impressed with the display of promotion posters.  I also liked the "Les Sports" wall panel from the Normandy.  Life style exhibits showed the chairs that would have been on deck and the swimming costumes that would have been worn.  There was a film showing a fashion show circa 1930's and gowns that would have been worn by the wealthy ladies, not forgetting a magnificent Cartier Tiara. 

It was good to see that recognition was given to Scottish (primarily Clyde) shipyards that had built a fifth of the World's ships in the 20th century and John Brown's Clydebank was named as the most famous of these shipyards. A model of the Queen Elizabeth was on display as well as the plating model of the ship's hull.   

The patterns used to cast the outer casing for one of the high pressure steam turbines on the QE2 was on display and given quite a prominent position. 

I appreciated seeing the "Shipbuilding on the Clyde Riveters" by Stanley Spencer, but was not sure if this was a print as I believe the original is in the Imperial War Museum. But either way it was fitting to display this image. 

The V&A Museum I was not over enamoured, but I would not like to make judgement based on only a couple of visits, especially as the venue was particularly busy.

The main thing I did not like was that when entering the building and climbing the stairs, I expected to turn around and see magnificent views up the River Tay, but you only see the views if you are booked into the restaurant, which does have glass windows and a good view.  There is a terrace, which was shut off to the public at the weekend and there are a couple of window view points, but apart from that you are looking at wooden slats.  The intention is that the building will be a community resource and if this aspect is successful that is a positive.  When we visited on the Friday a young woman was playing the guitar and singing, which I think links in with the community theme.  I enjoyed sitting and listening to the music and the acoustics of the building were good for entertainers.  Looking forward to hearing what other V&A exhibitions will be brought to Dundee. 

In addition to the V&A the Discovery exhibition and tour of the ship is worth a visit.

« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2018, 12:00 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #36 on: Oct 09, 2018, 12:09 PM »
Here are a few pictures taken at the exhibition:
Posters and Cunard sign ...
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #37 on: Oct 09, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Queen Elizabeth Hull plating with shipbuilding on the Clyde Riveters mural in the background plus QE2 turbine casing ....

www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #38 on: Oct 09, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Lifestyle - around the swimming pool and fashions .......
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #39 on: Oct 09, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Great photos Lynda,

We are due to pay the Dundee a visit in three weeks time and the exhibition is on the list.

Gav

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #40 on: Oct 09, 2018, 02:19 PM »
Here are a few pictures taken at the exhibition:
Posters and Cunard sign ...

A certain one of our members, can tell us the story of that Cunard sign, and why is there, and how it came to be there!

Great pics, I'm desperate to go back, I found the whole thing captivating, as if my favourite liner books had come to life.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #41 on: Oct 09, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Surely the highlight has to be the "deck experience" area...?  Or more specifically the view from it...?  ;)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #42 on: Oct 10, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Surely the highlight has to be the "deck experience" area...?  Or more specifically the view from it...?  ;)

The way they'd put that entire area together, took you on holiday. The lighting, the sounds, the vintage deck chairs (historic of course), the flags wall art from the SS United States next to the pool with the divers and swimmers (in vintage costumes).  I spent ages in this area and had to go around again to avoid missing things like the tiara and Dietrich dress.  And that Lusitania tiara, wow.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #43 on: Oct 10, 2018, 08:12 PM »
A certain one of our members, can tell us the story of that Cunard sign, and why is there, and how it came to be there!   
Didnt Jonathan at the on line store Pursers Locker have it for sale at one stage ? and loan it to the V&A in London, along with various other "bits"
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #44 on: Oct 13, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Seen in the attached photo, QE2 starts to appear across the wonderful ocean wall, on the left in the other room is the lovely glass artwork from SS United States (isn't it?) which with the lighting they'd given it from below, looked spectacular.  The bathing costumes are rare and original, and the SS United States flag artwork from her indoor pool, placed in an entirely suitable spot.

The photo doesn't do it justice, you need the sound effects too.  The very slow speed of the liners crossing the screen added to the effect - QE2 only passed approximately every 10 minutes or so!