Author Topic: V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style  (Read 8917 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style
« on: May 20, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Exhibition on "Glamour, speed and style" of the ocean liners, currently in the Peabody Essex Museum, Salem :

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Exhibit-explores-heyday-of-Atlantic-Ocean-luxury-liners-10201887

Photograph of a superb Queen Elizabeth model there!

The exhibition comes to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London in February next year.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

Re: Ocean liner exhibitions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 05:54 PM »
This looks like an amazing exhibition! Love the model of the Queen Elizabeth!  :)
If only it was on the West Coast!
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Andy Holloway

V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Slightly off subject but still partially relevant, there is a conference at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London on Ocean Liners on Friday 2nd March 2018. If you go to the V & A website the advert is there on the home page.

Sadly i will not be around to go but my eldest daughter is thinking of going and will, hopefully, 'report' back!

She has traveled of several Cunard ships, QE2, Vistafjord, Royal Viking Sun & QM2, so has a pecuniary interest, so to speak.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Slightly off subject but still partially relevant, there is a conference at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London on Ocean Liners on Friday 2nd March 2018. If you go to the V & A website the advert is there on the home page.

Sadly i will not be around to go but my eldest daughter is thinking of going and will, hopefully, 'report' back!

She has traveled of several Cunard ships, QE2, Vistafjord, Royal Viking Sun & QM2, so has a pecuniary interest, so to speak.

The V&A exhibition is moving to the new Dundee V&A later this year, can't wait!
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2018, 05:58 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: V&A Exhibition: Ocean Liners Speed and Style
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:31 PM »
The V&A exhibition is moving to the new Dundee V&A later this year, can't wait!

Rob I am sure there will be lots of discussions on the exhibition.  Professor Bruce Peter, GSA was involved in this exhibition. 

The exhibition will be in London until 17 June.
https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/about-the-ocean-liners-speed-style-exhibition

In September the exhibition can be seen in Dundee at the new V&A .  Waverley suggested a forum get together
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,8125.msg91791.html#msg91791

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2018, 05:59 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

kevinh

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2018, 12:53 AM »
I read about this on Cunard's Twitter page. Really looking forward to it!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:10 PM »
Tonight I received my copy of the stunning book that goes along with this exhibition.

I do hope Bruce Peter has a copy, cos it's right up his street! He's presumably helped with it.  Focussed firmly on the design, style and imagery of the ocean liner, it's a feast for the eyes, it's a substantial book and will take a while to get through!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Scott Ebersold

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:48 AM »
I received my copy of the book some time ago Rob - it is great and QE2's place and contribution is secure! I'm going to see the exhibition on 3 March and looking forward to it.

Before leaving Cunard I worked closely with the organisers on several aspects including their work with the Transart QE2 book and the Race chairs. Of greater interest to me was the work I undertook for them on the Cunard red-letter blocked capitals which has survived more or less intact since being phased in since 1963. It must be one of the longest-serving formats for a major international company...

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:10 AM »
Tonight I received my copy of the stunning book that goes along with this exhibition.

I do hope Bruce Peter has a copy, cos it's right up his street! He's presumably helped with it.  Focussed firmly on the design, style and imagery of the ocean liner, it's a feast for the eyes, it's a substantial book and will take a while to get through!

Bruce helped with the exhibition, so he may have had input to the book.  I will certainly want to add the book to my collection. 

Luck Michael going to the exhibition in March, I will need to wait until September when it is in Dundee.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Bruce Peter has drawn attention to the Conference, which will happen on 2 March :

https://www.vam.ac.uk/event/km0dPZm8/ocean-liners-conference

Looks like an excellent event not to be missed if you can be in the area on the day!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Bruce Peter has drawn attention to the Conference, which will happen on 2 March :

https://www.vam.ac.uk/event/km0dPZm8/ocean-liners-conference

Looks like an excellent event not to be missed if you can be in the area on the day!

I'd love to have gone to that, it looks fantastic, thanks for posting, but even a brief trip to London just costs a fortune... maybe they'll do another in Dundee during its time there...

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:12 PM »
  I'd love to have gone to that, it looks fantastic, thanks for posting, but even a brief trip to London just costs a fortune.. 
I agree, ld love to have gone to see it, Having a rare long weekend off from work next week, But London hotel rates are a world of their own. For the price of a room in my usual place (which is fully booked) l could have a suite in Vegas for the same price.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2018, 01:09 AM »
London is an expensive proposition for me too, even though I'm on the South Coast. Also coming up to Scotland is almost a non starter from a financial point of view (options considered). A touring exhibition around the country would be ideal!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.