Author Topic: Re: QE2 launch site (then and now)  (Read 5138 times)

Offline highlander0108

Re: Re: QE2 launch site as it is today photos
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:32 AM »
Is there no plaque or something on the site to explain that to visitors?  If not, perhaps it is somehing that should be put to them...
I did not take the walking tour, but saw this in October 2008 on the Cunard Heritage excursion while on QE2.  Our excellent local guide stopped the bus here and pointed this all out.  He gave all on the bus the insight on the reason behind the black rectangle in the facade and then it all made sense.  It really was sad, though, to be stopped at this spot, because it had been so cleansed of it's glorious shipbuilding past. Photo below taken October 5, 2008.

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014, 09:08 AM by Lynda Bradford »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Bob C.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Correct me if lm wrong,But this photo should show the lines of the QE2s hull showing where she was during the building.
It was interesting to hear your own personal comments Rob.

CQ,
   The lines depicted in the landscaping are representative of one of the John Brown's launcing ways but it is not the one from which QE2 was launched.  Our girl was built and launced a bit further to the West on slipway 4 (there were 8 total at JB's peak).  The one represented today is slipway 1 or 2 - I'll have to do some more research to get the exact one.  

Online Bob C.

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12 PM »
I'm going to say that the slipway at the university is Slipway 3.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 06:41 PM »
I always thought the box and lines you mention were the ones for QE2...
Perhaps at the top of the crane l should have paid more attention than worrying about the height :-[ 

<inactive links removed>

Then again perhaps the sign marks the spot... ;)

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 06:39 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 08:59 PM »
I always thought the box and lines you mention were the ones for QE2...
Perhaps at the top of the crane l should have paid more attention than worrying about the height :-[ 

I would have been taking in the sights more than worrying about the exact location of Slipway 4.  But...not being there, trying to understand the minutia is all I had at the time. 

Below are two photo's, one I made by matching the camera angle on Google Earth of the other photo and superimposing a cutout of QE2's footprint.  Its pretty accurate and shows  the ship's construction location in relation to the new buildings at the yards.  The key to it all is that square platform (yellow arrow) which has survived the decades.  Without it, matching past and present would be much more difficult.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 09:15 PM »
Gosh what on earth am l thinking about l took this photo uptop...

<link removed>
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 06:17 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 09:23 PM »
At least it looks I was there in spirit.  Glad to be of service in this way!  Although thre is no QE2SF watermark in the printed photo  ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:28 PM by Bob C. »